How To Stop Him Biting Us

At his age he needs to grow up a bit. You need to increase his obedience, especially the sit command. If he doesnt know what that is yet work on it. Have some food in your pocket, if he goes to mouthe your hand put the food (something nice and smelly like cabana) in your closed fist, put it at just below his nose level and firmly say sit. If he wont help him into position. When he sits give him a second saying "GOOD" then open your palm so he licks the food off. If he goes to mouth your hand just give a little AHH and move it back slightly. Let him use his brain ... hmmm I want a reward so what do I have to do to get it... Reward calm behavior and the dog will gravitate towards that which gets him results. Labs are a mouthy breed. If he really gets too much I remove my hands completely and 'AHH NO'. COnsequence.

If you have trouble, contact Mark Singer in Adelaide http://caninetraining.com.au/

I know of a great training place in Adelaide they have all the solutions of puppy training and how to stop unwanted behavior. Try these guys....

I wouldnt take my dog anywhere that puts us a whole blogg bagging out another local dog training school. A bit arrogent.

It's a business and that involve's marketing. What dog trainer / website doesn't make you think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread ? I know i fell for the same marketing from one who has a RAAF background the same as Mark Singer. Marks website is no exception. The comment about having all the solutions of puppy training i don't think is too unexpected from most trainers.

In saying that, i don't know Mark Singer, he may very well be a great trainer.

I don't think the dog training industry being unregulated is an easy thing to market or for a potential client to sift through all the marketing information from different training establishments and make an informed decision. As I understand it although there are courses and educational learning and certificates that trainers can do, but anyone can market themselves as a trainer and start a business in dog training/behaviourist can't they???.

Really, it's a bit hit and miss if you are looking for a trainer even though some have what seem to be legitimate backgrounds, like Corrective Services training or something to that effect, but for all we know, they may have been in charge of the pooper scooper or a kennel hand, it's hard to track that stuff down for authenticity sometimes and you can easy spend a lot of money with someone for little result.

On think on both sides of the coin from a trainer trying to market themselves to a dog owner trying to choose a suitable trainer is met with some difficulty and is not as a simple process that it seems :laugh: Some of the heavily marketed purely positive trainers are a bit of a worry as to how effective their training is over a wider range of dog behaviours as they are often overly method focused than focused upon training results. I don't think anyone markets a full yank & crank style of training that I have seen of late ;) , but trainers that have a negative reinforcement background that have evolved into the addition of positives IMHO have a broader perception of training in general and could possibly cater for a wider range of behaviours more effectively than a single method process.???.

Edited by K9Nev

Puppies like to chase things that move so that is normal. Just stand there and don't move when they bite your shoes and ankles. Move only when they stop biting you. Keep repeating and after a few days, he will learn not to bite your ankles and shoes. Oreo took a few days.

Just be careful with this one... Some herding dogs especially are driven to control moving things. For the longest time with Kivi I was freezing when he went for my feet or ankles and it eventually occurred to me that he was getting exactly what he wanted when I was doing that. He was stopping the moving objects. I started carrying a tug toy and when I'd run with him I'd hold the tug toy out so he could focus on that instead. It made all the difference.

QUOTE (nicolatu @ 13th Jun 2010 - 03:19 PM)

Puppies like to chase things that move so that is normal. Just stand there and don't move when they bite your shoes and ankles. Move only when they stop biting you. Keep repeating and after a few days, he will learn not to bite your ankles and shoes. Oreo took a few days.

This would probably encourage Banjo too. When he chases chickens or the cat he never harms them - just makes them stay still. He will lay next to them and everytime they move put his paw back on them to pin them down.

Having Jane who is half Lab and half crazy has made me realise that the labby is a puppy for a long long time. At 16 months she is still more puppy like than Gus who is 18 weeks old.

At dog training, all the full on dogs are the labbys...beautiful lovely dogs but all high energy high excitment and full on extraverts.

The ads on TV showing cute gentle lab puppies should come with a disclaimer saying something like "the lab you see here is NOT what a normal lab puppy does MOST of the time!"

Consistancy is the key I think and maybe try some clicker training to harness that enthusiasiam!

Love your description of my beloved breed ;) :cheer: especially the "full on extroverts" :cheer: is why we love them so much :laugh: and yes our labbies are slow maturers, some very slow :cheer:

It's a business and that involve's marketing. What dog trainer / website doesn't make you think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread ?

There's a difference between selling yourself -vs- running others down to make yourself look better. IMO, if you have to rely on the latter, then there's something wrong. And this is in regards to ANY business of any nature. I agree there was nothing much wrong with the claims of what they think they have and can do. That is marketing, although they better be able to stand up to their claims of "having all the solutions" for unwanted behaviour. But creating blogs to bag out others isn't telling anyone anything about themselves and is poor reflection IMO. If people are as good as they claim, they should have no need to run others down.

Edited by Erny