How To Stop Him Biting Us

Our supposedly 9 month Lab,( but we think he may be younger as his teeth right at the back are not fully through yet)is wanting to bite our hands , even though he has lots of chewy toy's, was wondering any one with any sugestions, on the best way to get him out of this.

We execise him with walks and play ball chase, our German female Shepherd seemed to be much more mature at 9 months,

are we expectig to much of him do you think? wev'e never had a Lab before, and don't know how much training he's had before.

Oscars mum.

They are normally done teething by 6 months... how much does he weigh?

What have you tried to stop him so far?

There are a few methods, saying "ah-ah" or "no" and pulling your hands away and ignoring him for a minute, putting him in a time out for a min he does it, teach him that licking you means "gentle" and once he has learnt that, say "gentle" when you put your hands near his mouth.

Our supposedly 9 month Lab,( but we think he may be younger as his teeth right at the back are not fully through yet)is wanting to bite our hands , even though he has lots of chewy toy's, was wondering any one with any sugestions, on the best way to get him out of this.

We execise him with walks and play ball chase, our German female Shepherd seemed to be much more mature at 9 months,

are we expectig to much of him do you think? wev'e never had a Lab before, and don't know how much training he's had before.

Oscars mum.

Oscars mum.

I know of a great training place in Adelaide they have all the solutions of puppy training and how to stop unwanted behavior. Try these guys....

www.allbreedsdogtraining.com

They are in Campbelltown

0412 876 469

What do you guys do when puppies bite your shoes and ankles, especially while you are walking?

My 9 week old lab backs off when I squeal when she bites my hands, but is a bit more persistent when it comes to shoes!

At the moment I say NO! and remove her from the situation (ie put her in time out). However, I was watching the dog whisperer and though i don't agree with everything he says and does, he did say that dogs don't really understand the concept of "time out" - i was wondering if this could have some truth to it? she has gotten a little better recently, but it still happens quite often. I'm just not sure what else to do? This is what her guide dog trainer recommended so I guess I will have to stick with it.

Labradors are retrievers, so they like mouthing things a lot which is probably why your shepherd seemed more mature at the same age. My Aussie was not a chewer at all, didn't even chew toys! But my lab puppy likes to have something in her mouth basically all the time! If you turn your back on her for 5 seconds, she will be chewing something naughty. she has LOTS of toys too, but seems to prefer the things she is not allowed :eek:

i think just try to be consistent with the way you deal with her and hopefully she will work it out. I reward my pup when she is sitting quietly or playing with her own toys as well.

Good luck!

I had a pup that would chase after you if you walked away and would bite your legs etc. After trying all the typical methods without success we gave him a correction at a level suitable to him as an individual to make him cease.

All puppies are different, if people haven't experienced a pup that will run after you trying to bite you it's hard to comprehend.

I thinnk time outs can work for some very people focussed dogs.

At his age he needs to grow up a bit. You need to increase his obedience, especially the sit command. If he doesnt know what that is yet work on it. Have some food in your pocket, if he goes to mouthe your hand put the food (something nice and smelly like cabana) in your closed fist, put it at just below his nose level and firmly say sit. If he wont help him into position. When he sits give him a second saying "GOOD" then open your palm so he licks the food off. If he goes to mouth your hand just give a little AHH and move it back slightly. Let him use his brain ... hmmm I want a reward so what do I have to do to get it... Reward calm behavior and the dog will gravitate towards that which gets him results. Labs are a mouthy breed. If he really gets too much I remove my hands completely and 'AHH NO'. COnsequence.

If you have trouble, contact Mark Singer in Adelaide http://caninetraining.com.au/

I know of a great training place in Adelaide they have all the solutions of puppy training and how to stop unwanted behavior. Try these guys....

I wouldnt take my dog anywhere that puts us a whole blogg bagging out another local dog training school. A bit arrogent.

Edited by Nekhbet

Erik, being a drivey herder, was very difficult when it came to biting shoes and legs. In the end, we used a combination of telling him to sit, asking for a heel to the nearest toy, and then throwing the toy. It was important to walk very very slowly to avoid triggering him. It's hard to believe now that he was ever such a monster, although every now and then when he's very excited he walks on your heels and may be caught with a pant cuff in his mouth when you turn around.

At his age he needs to grow up a bit. You need to increase his obedience, especially the sit command. If he doesnt know what that is yet work on it. Have some food in your pocket, if he goes to mouthe your hand put the food (something nice and smelly like cabana) in your closed fist, put it at just below his nose level and firmly say sit. If he wont help him into position. When he sits give him a second saying "GOOD" then open your palm so he licks the food off. If he goes to mouth your hand just give a little AHH and move it back slightly. Let him use his brain ... hmmm I want a reward so what do I have to do to get it... Reward calm behavior and the dog will gravitate towards that which gets him results. Labs are a mouthy breed. If he really gets too much I remove my hands completely and 'AHH NO'. COnsequence.

If you have trouble, contact Mark Singer in Adelaide http://caninetraining.com.au/

I wouldnt take my dog anywhere that puts us a whole blogg bagging out another local dog training school. A bit arrogent.

totally agree, and i dont believe it is true that "they have all the solutions of puppy training and how to stop unwanted behavior" and not to be too picky but web sites that have grammer and spelling mistakes do not inspire me with confidence either.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

totally agree, and i dont believe it is true that "they have all the solutions of puppy training and how to stop unwanted behavior" and not to be too picky but web sites that have grammer and spelling mistakes do not inspire me with confidence either.

X2.

What do you guys do when puppies bite your shoes and ankles, especially while you are walking?

My 9 week old lab backs off when I squeal when she bites my hands, but is a bit more persistent when it comes to shoes!

At the moment I say NO! and remove her from the situation (ie put her in time out). However, I was watching the dog whisperer and though i don't agree with everything he says and does, he did say that dogs don't really understand the concept of "time out" - i was wondering if this could have some truth to it? she has gotten a little better recently, but it still happens quite often. I'm just not sure what else to do? This is what her guide dog trainer recommended so I guess I will have to stick with it.

Labradors are retrievers, so they like mouthing things a lot which is probably why your shepherd seemed more mature at the same age. My Aussie was not a chewer at all, didn't even chew toys! But my lab puppy likes to have something in her mouth basically all the time! If you turn your back on her for 5 seconds, she will be chewing something naughty. she has LOTS of toys too, but seems to prefer the things she is not allowed :rolleyes:

i think just try to be consistent with the way you deal with her and hopefully she will work it out. I reward my pup when she is sitting quietly or playing with her own toys as well.

Good luck!

Puppies like to chase things that move so that is normal. Just stand there and don't move when they bite your shoes and ankles. Move only when they stop biting you. Keep repeating and after a few days, he will learn not to bite your ankles and shoes. Oreo took a few days.

Having Jane who is half Lab and half crazy has made me realise that the labby is a puppy for a long long time. At 16 months she is still more puppy like than Gus who is 18 weeks old.

At dog training, all the full on dogs are the labbys...beautiful lovely dogs but all high energy high excitment and full on extraverts.

The ads on TV showing cute gentle lab puppies should come with a disclaimer saying something like "the lab you see here is NOT what a normal lab puppy does MOST of the time!"

Consistancy is the key I think and maybe try some clicker training to harness that enthusiasiam!

It's a business and that involve's marketing. What dog trainer / website doesn't make you think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread ? I know i fell for the same marketing from one who has a RAAF background the same as Mark Singer. Marks website is no exception. The comment about having all the solutions of puppy training i don't think is too unexpected from most trainers.

In saying that, i don't know Mark Singer, he may very well be a great trainer.

Edited by RottyLover01

yes well professionalism extends into sometimes what you dont say. Writing a blog having a good ribbing about how bad another organisation is in their perspective, to me is simply horrible. I wouldnt bother with anyone with that attitude - not everyone can solve everything and the best trainers are the ones that accept their limitations or open their minds, not pick on other people on the internet.

Our GSD girl was a monster and bit the hell out of us, I was covered in bites and hurt like hell. But they do grow out of it in time, when is a good question. :cheer: My girl did and she turned out just fine, she's 7.5 yrs old now.

Try rubbing aftershave on your arms and hands, spray underarm deodorant on your jean legs. When they bite and taste it, that's enough to stop them bitting for a while. :):)

Don't worry you have a normal pup, just think of it as love bites. :cheer::cheer: :D

www.allbreedsdogtraining.com

They are in Campbelltown

Is it only coincidental that you share the same name as the org you are recommending?

Just curious.