Yellowish Orangey Tongue, Dark Green Squirts Pink Gums

~Shepherd~

From what I know, vomiting, diarrhoea, and in worse cases sometimes pancreatitis I have heard? Depends how much dog eats, and how sensitive dog happen to be - some dogs seem to be more resistant than others, some get really crook.

If she has just eaten it, vet could probably give activated charcoal or laxative to move it through quickly so she absorbs less?

Edited to add:

Have just had a look on VIN for you:

"In most cases, just get a mild self-limiting GI upset, but with larger ingestions, impaction or significant v/d, or HGE is possible. Stools will be dark after eating blood meal. "

Hope that helps.

Edited by Staranais

I think because it is such a concentrated source of 'goodies' .. I have heard of dogs having to be hospitalised for a few days .. oon drips & such, but cannot remember exactly what the stuff 'does' :) Might pay you to ring a vet, or Werribee or somewhere, and ask, Chewy.

From what I know, vomiting, diarrhoea, and in worse cases pancreatitis. Depends how much dog eats, and how sensitive dog happen to be - some dogs seem to be more resistant than others, some get really crook.

If she has just eaten it, vet could probably give activated charcoal or laxative to move it through quickly so she absorbs less?

we had my 2 and hers out at the off lead late this arvo, she first passed a regular stool, then topped by a dark green grey squirt, then 5 minutes later another large run then 5 minutes later again a full on back spray. She is a big strong very healthy girl, so that will go in her favour I suppose. Ive just been told she didnt eat a whole bag as there is plenty left but she is unsure as to how much was in the bag to start?

From what I know, vomiting, diarrhoea, and in worse cases pancreatitis. Depends how much dog eats, and how sensitive dog happen to be - some dogs seem to be more resistant than others, some get really crook.

we had my 2 and hers out at the off lead late this arvo, she first passed a regular stool, then topped by a dark green grey squirt, then 5 minutes later another large run then 5 minutes later again a full on back spray. She is a big strong very healthy girl, so that will go in her favour I suppose. Ive just been told she didnt eat a whole bag as there is plenty left but she is unsure as to how much was in the bag to start?

I'd give your vet a call & talk it through with them if I were you, see if there's any point bringing her in now. :)

If they say don't bother, then I'd still keep a good eye on her and be prepared to take her in at the first sign of her looking actually crook (as opposed to looking bright & healthy but just having the squirts). JM(not yet qualified)O.

I think because it is such a concentrated source of 'goodies' .. I have heard of dogs having to be hospitalised for a few days .. oon drips & such, but cannot remember exactly what the stuff 'does' :) Might pay you to ring a vet, or Werribee or somewhere, and ask, Chewy.

I can imagine the large quantities of diarrhea will cause a huge electrolyte loss and her gut enzymes will be in overdrive for a few days? She has a friend who is a vet, I'll get her to give him a buz in the morning. She is still fine atm on the outside.

I'd give your vet a call & talk it through with them if I were you, see if there's any point bringing her in now. :)

If they say don't bother, then I'd still keep a good eye on her and be prepared to take her in at the first sign of her looking actually crook (as opposed to looking bright & healthy but just having the squirts). JM(not yet qualified)O.

Not my dog, its my neighbours girl, but our dogs spend so much time together I know her habbits like I know my own girls. I'll leave it to her, and if she has to pop out I'm always on the watch due to our see through fencing.

Does / did neighbour have iron chelates too?

The colour descriptions remind me of chemistry experiments we did using iron compounds - one would be bright yellow and turn green on contact with acid or alcohol or something like that, we used one iron compound for doing a "breathalyzer" test, which involved one teacher and one student consuming an large amount of alcohol (port) and then blowing through a straw into a solution of stuff.

Might have been more efficient and less "inappropriate" if they'd just dripped ethanol into the solution but they had fun.

Iron chelates are used to restore green colour to yellow leaves on lemon trees and the like.

Does / did neighbour have iron chelates too?

The colour descriptions remind me of chemistry experiments we did using iron compounds - one would be bright yellow and turn green on contact with acid or alcohol or something like that, we used one iron compound for doing a "breathalyzer" test, which involved one teacher and one student consuming an large amount of alcohol (port) and then blowing through a straw into a solution of stuff.

Might have been more efficient and less "inappropriate" if they'd just dripped ethanol into the solution but they had fun.

Iron chelates are used to restore green colour to yellow leaves on lemon trees and the like.

Not sure. Will ask her in the morning, but she doesnt have any fruit trees, just a stack of natives and gums.

I've read that "green" poop (dark) can occur when the digested matter has passed more quickly than normal digestion allows and that it can apparently occur when there is diarrhoea. I hope the Blood and Bone didn't do anything to score the dog's stomach and digestive system too much and hopefully the dog has outed what needed to be outed without residual damage. I've read of others here who have dogs who ingested B&B without any later known repercussions. I think I'd be consulting with a Vet on it though - although I suspect the advice is going to be a matter of "wait and see". But I'd be more comfortable with Veterinary opinion.

I've read that "green" poop (dark) can occur when the digested matter has passed more quickly than normal digestion allows and that it can apparently occur when there is diarrhoea. I hope the Blood and Bone didn't do anything to score the dog's stomach and digestive system too much and hopefully the dog has outed what needed to be outed without residual damage. I've read of others here who have dogs who ingested B&B without any later known repercussions. I think I'd be consulting with a Vet on it though - although I suspect the advice is going to be a matter of "wait and see". But I'd be more comfortable with Veterinary opinion.

well the green is true in babies, often caused by lactose overload. Dont put on weight as its straight in, not absorbed at all, then straight out.

My three dogs got into a friend's bag of fertiliser when we had lunch one day a few years ago. I immediately rang my vet and was told it was an emergency, had to get them to the nearest vet straight away for induced vomiting. They were kept in for a few hours but it nearly killed one of my dogs and he was back at emergency later that night.

I'd never hesitate over something like this, dogs can appear fine but things can be going on inside that can prove serious.

Vet Visit would be wise ! B&B can be a nasty thing when ingested like that :rofl:

More than wise. B&B is potentially a killer. The only fertiliser I use in the back yard (where the dogs have 24/7 access) is Seasol, because it is watered in. I did try Rooster Booster ONCE ... the dogs loved it and so never used it again. They are only ever in the front yard on leads as we walk through on our walks so I use the Rooster Booster there. I just don't trust ANYTHING.

If it is just that, blood and bone straight from the digester at the factory it will not hurt.

If it has been turned into fertilizer it can be dangerous. Fertilizer has added ingredients what may kill.