Older-age Delinquency!

persephone

Hamlet, the beast, is around 7 . He is an absolute guts and thieves the other dogs' food, etc.I have always been proud of him inside tho- as he has never stolen anything off a table, or our plates ...

A few days ago, Dougal cat jumped onto a table in the kitchen .. as I had a few cat bikkies in a little bowl to give him later. He knocked down the cat food bag- which Hamlet noticed had opened... and by the time I realised what was going on, Ham was standing amongst paper towel rolls, fruit basket etc.. cleaning up the last of the bikkies. :hug:

OK- accident.

yesterday, I noticed ham with teh cats' little dish- empty... and thought i must have not picked it up off teh floor. Fine.

Today- I bought some nice ginger biscuits for us- Mum & I opened the packet this afternoon and had one each with a cuppa. ;)

A little while after, I heard a funny noise--- and there was an EMPTY biscuit packet on the floor :)

No excuses this time - Ham was the only one in the kitchen. ;)

Now we have to be really vigilant ,and not leave ANYTHING in bags or anywhere he can reach. It's going to be hard after so many good years !

I think he FINALLY realised what was on that table :p

Anyone else have late-onset delinquents?

Edited by persephone

Guest Pandii

Not old age but slow

As you know we have new kitties, I put their food up on a coffee table in the laundry as Sebbi ( shar pei) knows not to touch food thats not in his bowl and certainly not off any table

For 3 days he walked past and looked at it, on day four he sat and stared at it, day 5 he drooled over it, and in my stupidity I thought he will not touch that, he knows better

Day 6 I heard a crash and sure enough he had eaten the food and knocked down the bowls.

Not old age but slow

As you know we have new kitties, I put their food up on a coffee table in the laundry as Sebbi ( shar pei) knows not to touch food thats not in his bowl and certainly not off any table

For 3 days he walked past and looked at it, on day four he sat and stared at it, day 5 he drooled over it, and in my stupidity I thought he will not touch that, he knows better

Day 6 I heard a crash and sure enough he had eaten the food and knocked down the bowls.

He showed so much restraint :hug:

Guest Pandii

He did for a teenage doggie. I suppose as there was dry food there 24/7 for the first time ever, he just had to taste it

I know have a wooden footstool on the coffee table out of his reach, but kitties can jump up

You have to love the geriatric delinquents! They are so special. My first wolfhound became very sinful in his last couple of years and it was just magic. He would steal the TV remote and hide it under his bed. He stole soothers and ate them and used to burp blackcurrant in your face and poo out little bits of chewed up foil. He would ignore me when I called him just to have me go to him and shake my fist in his face and tell him he was a naughty old turd of a dog. I'd give him great big ear rubs while I told him how sinful he was and he would groan with pleasure and agree that he was a fat, sinful old fart of a dog.

Enjoy this time, it is what makes you smile years later when you remember just how lucky you were to have this wonderful dog.

Poor Sebbi - now he just has to figure out how to knock over that stool!! :)

Mind you- your kits don't need food out 24/7 ... they will survive quite well with a couple of feeds a day , just like puppies . It makes it easier to keep food away from dogs too! :hug:

Guest Pandii

Pers, he will not work out the stool, OK, he will not do it, I will keep chanting, he will not LOL

If the stool fails I will feed them set meal times :hug:

Anyone else have late-onset delinquents?

Trim is delinquent...but it's definately not late onset :laugh: .

She would never take from another animal but considers anything left on any surface without human presence was put their specifically for her very own fine dining.

Her worst crime was eating half of my son's 4th birthday cake...made by my grandmother who has never forgiven her.

A whole tub of butter took months of dieting to make her trim again (or it could have been the tea cake she had with it).

All the topping off a homemade gourmet lamb pizza which never even made the oven was perhaps her most amazing dining experience.

If you catch her in the act & give her an "Oi", she will scoff as much as she possibly can before you physically get to her & stop her.

Is that delinquent enough??? Lucky I love her so much :laugh:

Edited by Vickie

Vickie- teh cake episode remonds me of my Kieran boy- dane x VERY tall - able to put his head on teh kitchen tables....but normally very trustworthy.Mum had made a cake and iced it and left it on teh table to cool/dry.

when she went to put it away, she noted it looked lopsided. Hmmm

Kieran had licked all the icing off one side ..very gently .... LOL Yes, we did eat the cake :laugh:

You have to love the geriatric delinquents! They are so special. My first wolfhound became very sinful in his last couple of years and it was just magic. He would steal the TV remote and hide it under his bed. He stole soothers and ate them and used to burp blackcurrant in your face and poo out little bits of chewed up foil. He would ignore me when I called him just to have me go to him and shake my fist in his face and tell him he was a naughty old turd of a dog. I'd give him great big ear rubs while I told him how sinful he was and he would groan with pleasure and agree that he was a fat, sinful old fart of a dog.

Enjoy this time, it is what makes you smile years later when you remember just how lucky you were to have this wonderful dog.

That is soooo true. One of the best - most loyal dogs that I grew up with was a Dobermann - that bitch understood every word we said - it was like having a full conversation with her. We were on a farm - she came with the property and always had full run of it - she was never chained or locked away so we kept the routine as it was for her. Her big sin was Digging in the garden. My mother has always been a gardener - rain hail or shine she was head down bum up somewhere. We would stand at the back door and yell out "Mum - where are you" and wait for the direction of "over here" then go look for her. Even the Cockatoo knew the routine and he would scream out "Mum where are you - where are you Mum" and screech when he heard the back door open. When ever she found a hole that Cindy had dug she would yell out "Cindy - where are you - come here" she would slink her way over to mum then the last few steps would be an army crawl on her belly - she knew she was sprung. You had to see them to really see the game that was always played out. As you can imagine a Dobermann size hole in a garden is not something that can be over seen and missed so she would be sprung on every time she made her "craters". Mum would say to her - "What is this" she would nudge her way in closer, then the usual well get here - that dog would turn around and wait for a tap on the bum and then she would rub up against mum for cuddles. Then one night it happened - she was on possum patrol and was killed on the road by a speeding motorist. Yes she was on the road but after all these years she never went off the property for some reason this night she did and she was killed. There was not a dry eye in the house for weeks later - Dad dug her hole near one of her favorite places and she was buried that night. Weeks later mum would still be finding holes that Cindy had dug - she would come inside with tears in her eyes saying she would give anything to have her back again - the little games they played when ever a hole was discovered were just between Mum and Cindy. Funny thing is - mum mother is not an animal person, she was born and raised on a farm but has no real closeness with animals - but Cindy was special to everyone. Her greeting were something special too - she smiled, imagine a Dobermann smiling at you when you pull up the driveway - big grin and all one side of her teeth were exposed. Then she would cock her leg and pee on their tiers. She was a "one in a life time dog" everyone who knew her - loved her.

Your post made me smile and think of my old german shepherd girl who we lost a couple of years ago. A smarter more obedient dog you would never find but when she was old......well, ALL requests made by me were considered carefully :laugh: and more often than not ignored :laugh: !! So I agree, enjoy the time and laugh at the antics, our old doggies are so wonderful and I think they have earned themselves a bit of relaxing of the rules at times.