Moody After Desexing?

julzjc

Hey guys, Bonnie (American Staffordshire) had her desexing done 3wks ago when she turned 12months. She had an early heat at 5 1/2mths and ended up with a terrible phantom pregnancy. Although she was extremly sooky, she was still fantasic playing with other dogs at the park and extremly submissive even to tiny dogs.

Had her out a few times this week and she turned into a monster regarding other dogs. She went crazy in the car as soon as she saw the dogs in the park. Had no idea why she was acting up so decided against going into the park but walk around outside the fence. She greeted dogs friendly enough through the fence but as soon as they turned away from her she lunged and was snarling/barking at the fence. Ran her around oval few times/swim at beach etc to tire her and waited for park to empty before taking her in on her long line. Another stafford came in and slowly let them meet whilst keeping her on her long leash..ended up playing well together(let her off) but Bonnie was so dominant other the other dog, occasional growl, playing then standing other her with her tail up. Other dogs came and she was good with them but still dominant, and never really playing like she did before her operation. Asif all the puppyness and social butterfly/submissiveness has vanished since her op. She was just walking with myself and the other owners than occaisonally checking on her playmates and giving a growl.

Anyone else expericened this after desexing their bitch?

Note : I also have a 9mth old desexed husky boy. They love each other to death but since op she has stopped playing with him that much or will play for a while with him then suddenly have enough and snap at him. Apart from not wanting to play they are always cuddled up with each other, investigating together etc etc.

Any ideas please? Just a age thing or after op thing? either way will be nipping it in the bud. Aggression in not accecptable.Seeking trainers advise if she doesnt snap out of it.

Thanks guys.

My female also developed aggression towards other dogs after desexing. Although hers was earlier - around 6 months - lots of changes around that age so not sure how much desexing had to do with it.

my recently desexed nearly 3yo Skye bitch has gone from the sweetest terrier on earth to a cranky volatile monster dog since being done. It started about 2 weeks after and escalated into having to be separated from the other dogs by 3-4 weeks after op. :thumbsup: she has been in the kennels for 4 or 5 days now and we are letting her back with the other dogs for just a few mins and increasing gradually with lots of praise and treats for being nice....

Has anything else changed? Have you been molly-coddling her a bit because she was sore etc? Maybe a vet check is in order? My boy had an op (not desexing) and it took months for the scar tissue to heal properly and get back to his normal self.

Over the years I have had many dogs desexed, male and female, and they have always remained as they were before. Never agressive, this is the first I have ever heard of them becoming aggressive after desexing. We have had multiple dogs due to showing them, then as they weren't shown anymore they were desexed, which means that most of them were a few years old before they were done. Even before our showing days we had

dogs desexed and never had any who changed.

Marion01

Over the years I have had many dogs desexed, male and female, and they have always remained as they were before. Never agressive, this is the first I have ever heard of them becoming aggressive after desexing. We have had multiple dogs due to showing them, then as they weren't shown anymore they were desexed, which means that most of them were a few years old before they were done. Even before our showing days we had

dogs desexed and never had any who changed.

Marion01

I haven't heard of this either. My girl was desexed at 6 months and she never developed aggression, still her sooky smoochy self.

I have had 4 bitches in the family spayed and none have had any aggression issues - still their happy, playful, loving selves!!! :hug:

I think it probably just depends on the individual dog maybe??

I have heard of this from a few people before. There was even an article I read once about it.

My last Rotty was done at two years and she changed overnight. She had NEVER snapped at another dog before then but suddenly became quite snappy. It also happened with my Corgi bitch some years before. Went from being free and easy to quite a bitch with other dogs.

My most recent Corgi was desexed at 5yrs and I noticed no change.

Maybe it has something to do with the sudden change in hormones.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Thought I was going to get told I was being crazy thinking that desexing had changed her. It has just been so out of the blue. Was going to take her and Indie with me to erskine park tomorrow but after this sudden change I dont really trust her with unknown dogs rightnow(its simply not fair on other dog owners having to worry about her near their dogs). Just going to take Indie now. Atleast untill I figure out this new personality and try to get her to ignore strange dogs instead of react to them.

She has been ok once she meets them(little dominant or ignores them but behaved) but untill she greets them the barking/growling/pulling must be scary for other dog owners. Got the feeling Ill never get her back to being a social butterfly as she has even suddenly lost her puppyness/playfullness. Just a different dog since her desexing.

Sorry to hear that some of you have had similar experiences but glad I am not alone.

For those whos bitches have suddenly changed, have they ever gone back to being social or do you always have to keep an eye on them/keep them away from other dogs? Has their behaviour improved atall? If they have improved,how did you manage to help them?

Love taking the dogs with us when we go out for coffee,watch footy etc but worry I wont be able to do this anymore. Dont want her reacting badly when she sees other dogs and her giving her breed a bad name/ justifing somes peoples fear of her breed. She really is a beautiful natured girl and was bad enough everyone being scared of her/saying she was "one of those dogs" even when she was the most submissive,placid dog around. Poor Bonnie.

Megan-No molly coddling when she had her op, just kept her quiet/kids away from her untill she was feeling better but she didnt get any special treatment except a few extra blankets in her bed. Our dogs arent allowed up on sofas/bedrooms etc (only because they are large dogs and we have small children so the kids can have space when they want away from the dogs and vis versa). So she just had her normal bed/ laid at our feet,tried to keep everything normal for her.

Still cant belive that this seems to be a side effect of desexing and not un-common either.Never heard of this before.

If she changed "overnight" then it is not due to the changes in hormones. julzjc - I would be back to the vet to discuss this.

See lots of desexed boys and girls due to fostering - and no agression - some are irritated by the stitches and soreness associated with an operation but this quickly dissappears. One gorgeous boy I had who came into care because he had started to be snappy and was humping everything in sight - stopped this behaviour within 2 weeks. My own girl was certainly more even tempered once she was desexed (at over 4 yrs after she retired from showing) before that I would have said she had mood swings (pmt LOL) My male dog (desexed at 6) became less interested in smells and has much bette focus.

Edited by frufru

Still cant belive that this seems to be a side effect of desexing and not un-common either.Never heard of this before.

It is uncommon.

Had hundreds of bitches desexed at ages between 18 months and 9 years of age and never noticed this, and we document any negative behaviour. The worst bitch aggression I have seen was with entire bitches.

I would be having her checked for soreness too.

But it is to be expected that bitches behaviour to change towards other dogs as they mature, whether desexed or not.

my recently speyed bitch was 'top dog' for sure among our 'pack' , and i wonder if the change in the pheromone messages she is giving off have made a difference to the other dogs perception of her and her ability to 'lead the pack'

Quick update...Suddenly has a large lump in her side (about size of a lime) taken her to vet. Has no idea what it is, says there is a small chance that she may be having a reaction to internal stiches but he doubts that as its been 3wks and no where near her operation site. Giving anti-inflamatry drugs for 3days but wants her back on Tuesday. If its not gone then they will be operating. Doesnt seem to bother her until he really pushed hard. Will keep everyone updated.