My Maltese Is Getting De-sexed Tomorrow :(

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit nervous (in no way felt bad for her, just nervous about her having an op!!) when getting Lottie spayed - but I feel it was DEFINATELY for the best!!! She was a little sore/dopey the first night, but after that she was itching to get back out with the other dogs and play!!! Her personality hasn't changed ONE BIT, she's jsut as much fun, loyal, sweet, playful, cheeky etc etc etc as she was prior to be spayed (although, I think she's become ALOT more snuggly - but that might be because she's getting older??).

I live in a small town where there's lots of roaming entire males, who can easily jump into our yard, so the risk just wasn't worth it - especially considering there are two other dogs in our yard!!! You also then don't have to worry about being on heat, if he gets the scent of a bitch on heat trying anyway to get to it etc...

Good luck for your boy, i'm sure it'll all go smoothly for him!!!!

ETA: for spelling

Edited by LuvLottie

There is another benefit with neutering some males and that is the lessening of dominance issues. Terriers can be stroppy little so and so's and our first Aussie wasn't neutered until he was 2 1/2. It made some difference but he was always a little bitter & twisted. Oliver, our new Aussie, was done around 6 months and he has kept his sweet puppy nature. He's grown up without feelong he has anything to prove. Oh, both recovered very quickly - within 24 hours.

Hi IW4ME, this might also come down to a dogs individual temp/personality too. I have an entire Aussie terrier & he is never stroppy bitter or twisted, he is always happy,sweet & cuddly & never shows any sign of dominance even when he is around other entire males. :thumbsup:

To the op, please don't feel guilty, I'm sure your pup won't hold any grudges, & will recover quite quickly. :thumbsup:

To the op, please don't feel guilty, I'm sure your pup won't hold any grudges, & will recover quite quickly. :thumbsup:

What Bailey's Mum said. I mean really...he's not going to spend the rest of his life thinking you were a horrible man hater who sliced his foreskin off. He'll be fine. He'll be back to the bounce around puppy in no time.

What Bailey's Mum said. I mean really...he's not going to spend the rest of his life thinking you were a horrible man hater who sliced his foreskin off. He'll be fine. He'll be back to the bounce around puppy in no time.

Now Raz, let's not be too hasty. I mean there must be a reason that puppy prozac was invented. Perhaps it was to help dogs cope with the loss of their sexual identity :thumbsup:

Now Raz, let's not be too hasty. I mean there must be a reason that puppy prozac was invented. Perhaps it was to help dogs cope with the loss of their sexual identity :thumbsup:

Yeah. I was probably jumping the gun, Gareth. Load him up with old man creepy jammies, a packet of blue pills and a feral girlfriend with big boobs. He'll be right.

Just think when he is a droopy old man he won't have the old snooker balls in the stockings bashing the inside of his legs when he runs.

There is nothing uglier than spotty, droopy man raisins and a old feller as big as a back leg pointing at you when you are giving a belly rub

Oh and less things for the groomer to accidently snip :thumbsup:

What I meant to say was no matter how bad you feel now I guarantee in 4 months time you will realise that you have made the best decision for him :thumbsup:

Edited by casowner

Just think when he is a droopy old man he won't have the old snooker balls in the stockings bashing the inside of his legs when he runs.

There is nothing uglier than spotty, droopy man raisins and a old feller as big as a back leg pointing at you when you are giving a belly rub

And the same goes for bloke dogs! :thumbsup:

Someone comes onto a dog forum because they are feeling worried/a bit guilty about elective surgery and they get made fun of. Nice.

DOL pack mentality from the usual suspects. Nothing new really. :thumbsup:

Someone comes onto a dog forum because they are feeling worried/a bit guilty about elective surgery and they get made fun of. Nice.

DOL pack mentality from the usual suspects. Nothing new really. :thumbsup:

Oh dear my mistake. I forgot that you are not allowed to indulge in humour on this forum anymore, and if you dare to have a joke with someone else in the thread, the DOL police come after you and call you a pack :welcome: Naughty Gareth :thumbsup:

I'm not talking about the dogs emotions.

Well when you work out what you are talking about, please let us know and we can reply more appropriately :)

I'd like to know what you're talking about as well. As you said, you cant explain it any better. Best stop now I think.

To the OP - yeah it gets a bit tough when your pooches are going under GA but as others said, they bounce back. It's OK to worry about them. Cheer yourself up by posting some photos of the little dude.

Lucy's Mama was merely just trying to say that she felt the same feelings as the OP, as being a woman, she had maternal urges, so there was a part of her that felt guilty of depriving her dog of the maternal instinct to breed. But she explained that she knew that wasn't logical and the dog didn't feel that, but didn't stop the thought entering her mind.

Still doesnt make sense. A dog doesnt think - oh noessss, I'm about to go under the knife and wont be able to have babies. Or does it? I dont know. Maybe ask the cute little latino in your siggy.

I thought Lucy's Mama kinda said in her post that she knew the dog wasn't thinking that. But just that as a woman who had the maternal feeling, had an emotional thought about the dog feeling the same, but then thought logically, knowing the dog wouldn't be thinking that.

..but I'll ask him for you on our next date :laugh:

Why do you feel guilty? He's not going to know! He will be fine the next day.

I can't wait to get my boy desexed, his bits are ugly :)

Surely not!! None of Bundy's bits could possibly be ugly :eek::)

I feel bad 'cos I've NEVER felt guilty, even OH had to be 'done' ;) :) It's a prerequisite at our place, you enter, you lose your bits (me too!) :(

I've not heard of anyone feeling guilty about it before :laugh: xxx

We have a boy then two girls, the Boy Buster was a real sex crazed little bugger he had a favourite pillow he would position for enjoyment, he was desexed at 5 1/2 months as soon as he was big enough down there to do.

The two girls were done at 6 months.

I wouldn't feel guilty, unfortunatly some dogs are mistreated so badly by humans and yet continue to stay with the Human.

The only thing i can say is that the Boy was more of a sook than the girls and they had a bigger cut. :laugh:

DOL pack mentality from the usual suspects. Nothing new really. :laugh:

:):(:) Oh dear. Over April's Fool, are we?

Yes please, Stormiie.

In my experience the boys hardly notice! They are back to normal within a day of surgery, just keep an eye on him to make sure he's not annoying his stitches.

For girls it's a bit of a bigger surgery so best off done as a young dog rather than wait until they get life threatening pyometra or ovarian cancer at an advanced age, as my old pound rescues have, you can do the surgery but you can't always save them at that stage.