Allergic Reaction After Having Vaccination

Hi all

I took my little Shih Tzu for her C5 vaccination this morning. A few hours later I noticed her face had swollen up! I took her back to the vet, she said it's an allergic reaction to the vaccination. Poor thing, she has had 2 more injections to help the swelling.

Anyone ever had this happen to their dog?

Not only that my wife is in hospital in labour as I type! I was concerned about leaving the dog unattended while I go back to the hopsital. So I have left her at the vets so they can monitor her. I won't tell my wife as I am sure she doesn't need that to worry about!

What a stressful day!

Good luck with the bub!!!

Hope your pup is okay too. The only problem I've had has been localised swelling with my latest Aussie pup and one of the min pins. It hung around for about a week, then disappeared.

Yes, I have had a dog die within 5 minutes of him being vaccinated. Insist that the vet report the reaction - not that it will do any good. I would also strongly advise you to think very carefully and research very carefully before giving your dog any more vaccinations, and if you feel it's essential then C5 may not be the way to go.

Good luck with the new baby :)

Have had this happen to two of ours over the years and have heard of others dying when left unattended straight after the vaccination. Once they had had the antihistamine and anti-inflammatory injections they are usually fine. C5 has always been the culprit so ours only have C3.

Good luck with bub.

Have had this happen to two of ours over the years and have heard of others dying when left unattended straight after the vaccination. Once they had had the antihistamine and anti-inflammatory injections they are usually fine. C5 has always been the culprit so ours only have C3.

Good luck with bub.

My dog had a funny reaction to C5 as a pup, he sounded as though he had fluid on the lungs, this year I will only be doing C3 if I do any vaccs at all.

Thanks for all the replies folks!

Karla's face was almost back to normal when I collected her from the vets, by the next day she has back to normal.

I contacted the breeder I got her from (I think she is on this forum) and she said she gets her dogs vaccinated every 3 years and avoids the Fort Dodge brand. So I will be doing the same!

Baby arrived saturday, 12 days overdue. Mum and baby are still in hospital, a little worse for wear but doing ok.

Thanks again!

Conway

Yep, mine had reactions to his 12 and 16 week C5's. Not as severe as yours, but a swelling where the needle went in almost tennis ball in size that hung around for well over a month! When it came time for the 16 month booster I saw a different vet and requested an antihistamine followed 30 mins later by a C3. This had no reaction and from now on I will be titre testing and only vacc every 3 years if need be. I was told (by the vet) that Fort Dodge has a much higher rate of reactions than other vaccines and that reactions to C5's are common. If my dog had reacted as strongly as yours I would not be vaccinating again.