Scenario- What Would Your Advice Be As A Trainer?

What would be evidence that someone did secretly like it?

It's something that can only be answered by the dog owner. Sometimes it is a sub-conscious thing so it helps to raise it as a possibility. They then do their own questioning of themselves, as you did, Corvus. Only they really know the real answer and can decide whether they will admit to it or not. Although sometimes the evidence is pretty clear, by the way they interact with their dog even though they've been informed of the mis-message that interaction might be giving to the dog.

Edited by Erny

I get them on the couch, sit on a chair behind them with a notepad, then ask them about their parents... It soon comes out.

The only time my two have ever had a scrap is when they are both way over aroused (my fault for letting it get to that point). It certainly sounds like for these dogs the arousal level is extremely high when she gets home - bouncing and running around.

I would start with working on techniques to lower the arousal level of these dogs upon arrival home. So NO attention until everyone is calm!

A way to manage this behaviour is to retrain greetings where they all go to their seperate mats as the door is approached. That way no dog can be running into the other etc.

I would also work on some games with multiple dogs - when mine were younger they would jump all over each other if I was patting one of them so I played games where if dog B sat quietly while I patted dog A then dog B got a treat and vice versa.

I would start with working on techniques to lower the arousal level of these dogs upon arrival home. So NO attention until everyone is calm!

It depends on the personality of the dogs. If the younger one is very determined or doesnt have enough nerve to hold his drive and anxiety then not coming outside may still drive him to attack as he gets more and more frustrated, particularly if he can see the owner and the older dog gets in his way.

I get them on the couch, sit on a chair behind them with a notepad, then ask them about their parents... It soon comes out.

:thanks: I daresay it becomes apparent they all have an Oedipus complex, too.

A friend of mine had a puppy buyer (wife) contact her about the dog being a dog park menace and aggro on walks. My friend asked me about it and I suggested a pro trainer consult based on the behaviours that were described - it was definitely beyond emailed advice. Then the husband read the reply from my friend and said that he a) wouldn't be passing the info on to his wife and b) everyone was overreacting. I don't know if you call that evidence but my conclusion was that he liked having a dog that bullied its way around the park.

What does the owner do when she goes out the back door (if there's no dog fight). Does she immediately greet each dog or does she ignore them until they settle?

If it was me - I wouldn't open the back door until all dogs were politely sitting. And I'd shut it with me on the far side of it if any of them took a step towards me when I opened it. It's been drilled into me for years, not to make a fuss of the dog (or dogs) when leaving or returning home.

It may be safer for the old dog to have his own secure run while the owners are out. I've known quite a few older dogs to get beaten up by the younger one as they get stronger and no owner present to trigger or break up the fights.