Age To Test For Pra

GoldenWei

Just wondering, in general, what is the minimum age breeders test (if not genetically cleared) for PRA? Is it different for different breeds? I wanted to test Willow (LH Wei), my show dog for PRA, as well hips/elbows. I know I have to wait for the hips/elbows, but not sure about eyes.

I do my pups from litters at six weeks when they get their microchips and vaccs.

Very simple to do but best done once they are weaned from mum (mostly anyway!)

I try to encourage them to drink water to "flush" out the mouth a little before doing it especially if they tend to lick each others mouths as that can affect the result.

DNA testing can be done at any age so long as they are big enough to microchip. My dog had his CEA done at 2 weeks old.

Physical eye exams need to be done yearly as PRA won't be detected till it starts to present changes in the eyes and that age varies with breed and the type of PRA.

ok cool, so PRA would show up in a DNA test, is that correct? I thought it was just a yearly test, but if it can be done via DNA test, all the better.

You need to check with the DNA testing companies to see if the have a DNA test for PRA in Weis. Its available for a lot of breeds now.

ok cool, so PRA would show up in a DNA test, is that correct? I thought it was just a yearly test, but if it can be done via DNA test, all the better.

You need to check with the DNA testing companies to see if the have a DNA test for PRA in Weis. Its available for a lot of breeds now.

Ok great, thank you.

The DNA test is great if there is only one form of PRA in the breed and they can test for it.

However I know with Finnish Lapphunds there is more than one form but only one has a genetic test at the moment. Therefore, yearly ophthalmic testing is needed on breeding stock. It frustrates me that people seem to think that a single DNA test means that you no longer need a physical exam. Even if there is only one form in the breed it is good to get an ophthal exam done as there are many other eye conditions in dogs.