Starting Out- Probably Really Silly Questions!

Emma92

Hi everyone. I have some questions that might sound really silly and probably very obvious to a lot of people.

I am new to the dog world, although Ive always had dogs growing up, Ive taken a liking to American Staffordshires.

I have been looking around for the right breeder, most breeders sell there dogs on Co-Ownership, Can anyone tell me

what this means? Also I would like to start showing eventually, but I know nothing about it, Can someone explain how

I would start out? What are the main rules for dog showing? how do I enter a dog show? What clothes do you wear when showing?

I know these are really stupid questions but I couldnt find answers anywhere on the net.

Hi everyone. I have some questions that might sound really silly and probably very obvious to a lot of people.

I am new to the dog world, although Ive always had dogs growing up, Ive taken a liking to American Staffordshires.

I have been looking around for the right breeder, most breeders sell there dogs on Co-Ownership, Can anyone tell me

what this means? Also I would like to start showing eventually, but I know nothing about it, Can someone explain how

I would start out? What are the main rules for dog showing? how do I enter a dog show? What clothes do you wear when showing?

I know these are really stupid questions but I couldnt find answers anywhere on the net.

Co-ownership - can mean a myriad of different things depending on the agreement you make with the breeder. Briefly, it means that both you and the breeder own the dog on it's registration papers. If you go down this co-own path please ensure you get EVERYTHING in writing no matter how small the detail :laugh:

Firstly you need to become a member of your state canine council such as Dogs NSW or CCCQ as examples. Secondly you require a dog on the Main Register (NOT Limited Register) that is of 'show potential'. Once of age (puppy must be 3 months old before it can be entered in a show) you can look through your state journel/gazette for shows you wish to attend, fill in entry form send off etc.

Tidy attire - pants and a shirt or skirt and shirt and add a jacket if you wish...

Have you read the pinned topic in this forum "Show Ring FAQ"? It's the first thread under "important topics"

Someone else also recently asked the question in the thread titled "Plz Need Information On Shows"

And there's a thread for newbies titled "Hitting The Ring For The First Time"

Yep Everything Aziah said. :laugh:

When you find a breeder that you trust, they will hopefully be able to fine detail all these for you.

Good luck in your search for the right puppy :) And in your showing :)

I suggest as you live in Melbourne going to watch the Am Staff champ this weekend or the terrier club show where a good number of Am Staffs will be in attendance & you can see the show side aspect as well

Co-ownership - can mean a myriad of different things depending on the agreement you make with the breeder. Briefly, it means that both you and the breeder own the dog on it's registration papers. If you go down this co-own path please ensure you get EVERYTHING in writing no matter how small the detail :)

Firstly you need to become a member of your state canine council such as Dogs NSW or CCCQ as examples. Secondly you require a dog on the Main Register (NOT Limited Register) that is of 'show potential'. Once of age (puppy must be 3 months old before it can be entered in a show) you can look through your state journel/gazette for shows you wish to attend, fill in entry form send off etc.

Tidy attire - pants and a shirt or skirt and shirt and add a jacket if you wish...

Pssssst, don't forget the pockets ;)

Most breeders sell there dogs on Co-Ownership, Can anyone tell me what this means?

Depends on the individual breeder. My boy is co-owned with his breeder and it basically means that he is mine to keep, but the breeder has a say in who he is studded out to. In Tasmania we do not have the option to stop a dog being used at stud when transferring full ownership, and if the dog is co-owned BOTH owners have to sign a stud card if the dog is bred, otherwise you have a litter of unregistered puppies. It's a safety net for breeders.

Make sure you understand the full terms of the co-ownership before agreeing to anything as different breeders have different demands.

Also I would like to start showing eventually, but I know nothing about it, Can someone explain how I would start out?

By joining your states kennel club.

What are the main rules for dog showing?

Must be a purebred, main registered dog (there are 2 registers, basically show, or pet... you need the 'show' register). Not desexed. As close to breed standard as possible meaning no major disqualifying faults. The breed standard states what faults are disqualifying.

how do I enter a dog show?

When you join the kennel club, a book will be sent out to you with all the different shows in your area. You fill out an entry form (available from club) and send it to the address detailed in the book.

What clothes do you wear when showing?

Full dress suit. Others wear more casual clothes, but personally I think a good suit and shirt complete the whole 'package' you are presenting to the judge.

(that's the basic explanation anyway)

Edited by Shaar

Pssssst, don't forget the pockets

I hate putting food in my pockets, it wrecks my good clothes. I much prefer a bait pouch.

Argh! yes! Buying a new suit and getting to the show and realizing it has no pockets is not fun.

Getting to the show and realizing you left the bait at home is second, especially if you are last group on and everyone around you is out of bait.

Pssssst, don't forget the pockets

I hate putting food in my pockets, it wrecks my good clothes. I much prefer a bait pouch.

Argh! yes! Buying a new suit and getting to the show and realizing it has no pockets is not fun.

Getting to the show and realizing you left the bait at home is second, especially if you are last group on and everyone around you is out of bait.

Buying a new suit and leaving the jacket at home is pretty bad, especisally when you're just wearing a cotton shirt and it's at Geelong at the end of May!!! Brr.

I think the only silly questions are the ones you don't ask. Even the most successful handlers had to start somewhere and I think you'll find most people try to help newcomers.

Also buying from a Breeder who is a good mentor is a great win/win for both the breeder and you as they can't always keep EVERY animal that they would like to 'run on' (an expression used to see how a new puppy with Show Poential pans out).

Only thing is the Breeder has to have confidence in you first so that hey are sure they are not selling a main register dog to someone who just wants to "Back Yard Breed" (another expression implying that the person is only interested in churning out puppies for the $$$$ and not intending to follow the rules of the State dog Registery).

As stated there is lots to learn from DOLERS (Dogs on Line forumites! :laugh: )

Edited by LizT