Mistreated?

Jetty

I tried to search on the RSPCA website but I had no luck finding what info I needed. I am wondering what are the minimum care required for a pet before places like the RSPCA consider them as not being cared for enough?

To make myself clearer I know of some dogs that get no vet care and are very dirty (desperatly need a bath and brush) They get feed and have water available all the time and have some shelter but I still feel like they are not getting cared for appropriately. However I don't think I have enough for them to be classified as mistreated?

The RSPCA and the DPI both can prosecute if welfare laws are broken in QLD.

Here is some more information.

Animal Welfare and Ethics

The RSPCA is powerless to act unless specific laws have been broken, despite some animals being reported living in quite dismal conditions.

Thanks Greytmate. That's exactly what I was after.

I tried to search on the RSPCA website but I had no luck finding what info I needed. I am wondering what are the minimum care required for a pet before places like the RSPCA consider them as not being cared for enough?

To make myself clearer I know of some dogs that get no vet care and are very dirty (desperatly need a bath and brush) They get feed and have water available all the time and have some shelter but I still feel like they are not getting cared for appropriately. However I don't think I have enough for them to be classified as mistreated?

Define 'no vet care'.

What do you mean - no vet care when sick / ill

or no vet care wrt regular flea treatment, vaccinations.

How would you improve the conditions of the dogs -

what specific care needs to be given so the dogs move from 'inapproprioate' to appropriate care?

Define 'no vet care'.

what specific care needs to be given so the dogs move from 'inapproprioate' to appropriate care?

I don't want to say to much detail.

However I meant more along the lines of treating the dogs themselves instead of taking them to a vet. I don't know anymore information then that.

IMO the dogs need to be cleaned (they have mattered fur, prickles from bushes in it and are just dirty and smell foul) and have better shelter. I have started to have a soft spot for them.

I have learnt from first-hand experience, that what constitutes 'mistreatment' to us (as dog lovers) isn't defined that way where the RSPCA/law is concerned. If they're being fed and watered and can stand up - that's basically all that's required. All the rest is 'value-adding'....much of which people don't generally do. We're unfortunately all the exceptions to the rule...that's why we're on this forum...'nough said.

What about dogs that need grooming (such as Poodles) that havent been groomed/clipped in 12 months - would the RSPCA act on that?

If the lack of clipping is causing health problems, then those problems must be treated. If the lack of clipping is causing no problems, then nothing needs to happen.

Brisbane Council also has laws requiring people to vaccinate their dogs in accordance with vet recommendation. I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for not doing that. You would complain to council, not the RSPCA.

Your local council may have control laws that cover the type of environment a dog needs to have provided for it, and there is an avenue for the council to seize the dogs if local dog laws are breached.

IMO the dogs need to be cleaned (they have mattered fur, prickles from bushes in it and are just dirty and smell foul)

If this was the case i could report the greater majority of our clients ,this is a daily occurrence for me & many are spoilt house dogs.

However I meant more along the lines of treating the dogs themselves instead of taking them to a vet. I don't know anymore information then that.

So i gather the info is 3 rd hand form someone else??

So how do you now they treat themselves & never go to a vet??

Like I said I am not in the position to say to much information. I actually see these dogs daily & they never leave the premises. My information I do have is correct.

She is alot worse then any house dog I can tell you that in regards to her mattered fur.

Define 'no vet care'.

I don't want to say to much detail.

IMO the dogs need to be cleaned (they have mattered fur, prickles from bushes in it and are just dirty and smell foul) and have better shelter. I have started to have a soft spot for them.

I rarely take my dogs to the vet, unless it's an emergency that I can't stitch up myself. There are many many things that you can treat at home if you have the knowledge , so I won't be so quick to judge.

Groomers see disgusting examples of animal neglect but many are inside spoilt house dogs.

Example 1. 3 Elderly cockers came in for their 2 yearly clip - ears were so matted and wet that once clipped off the felt/food etc weighed close to 1kg, gums were retracted through rotten teeth and the skin was so sore and infected from not being able to breathe and staying wet for extended periods. We rang the RSPCA - Answer - the owners had taken the dogs in to be clipped therefore had done something about the condition they were in

Example 2. Elderly poodle came in so badly matted that her ear hair had intertwined with the coat on her neck causing a matt - once clipped the smell from the ear infection was overwhelming. Her feet hair had matted up so bad that her paws were deformed and she ended up walking on her Carpal pads

Example 3. 2 x Indoor Bichon cross Shih tzu's were clipped for free at Grooming classes and everytime they came in they were so matted that they would have bruises on their back legs, the skin/ears was so infected that you could barely stomach the smell and the last time I ever saw them one had mats/gunk covering her eye so badly that once it was removed her eye was horriblly red and ulcerated. These were owned by well off owners who had them living inside with them and said they never noticed their condition.

These are some of my memorable clients but unfortunately groomers see dogs in horrible condition on a regular basis as shameful as it is.

Unfortunately what we see as animal handlers is not what a normal pet owner sees no matter how hard that is for us to understand.

Would they be open to you offering to bath the dogs?

I once rang about neighbours ACD who was tethered to their clothesline during summer. He had water and shelter (from a trampoline) and that apparently was adequate.

Would they be open to you offering to bath the dogs?

I once rang about neighbours ACD who was tethered to their clothesline during summer. He had water and shelter (from a trampoline) and that apparently was adequate.

They are used for security purposes. So I don't think so. :laugh:

Edited by ♥JJ

if they are outside security dogs- then I guess it doesn't matter that they are dirty/smelly...they probably have little human contact. If they are matted so they have trouble walking, or their eyes are partially covered- then that's something that would be acted upon by the RSPCA, I would think.

if they are outside dogs in a yard , with no opportunity to swim or roll in grass- yep- they will be pretty ordinary looking if the owners don't pay much attention to them.

Our dogs never go to a vet unless it's an emergency .. they never get bathed , or groomed They swim/roll in the sand , tho ,and look pretty shiny :laugh:

yes sadly as a groomer for many years i have seen so many examples of extreme grooming neglect too. OFTEN on 'much loved house pets ' that 'sleep on the bed'.....

I did once try to report a dog that was flyblown , but because it received veterinary treatment ( i took it from the salon to the vet myself ) and the owner had sought help for the grooming (finally and way too late) there was no case for prosecution. If however , the RSPCA officer had stumbled across the same dog in its back yard in that condition, would be a different story!

I rarely go to the vet either unless its dire straits.

If they have food, water and shelter then they're fine by the law. Not having a coat in show condition is not an offence in the slightest. Unless these dogs are actually suffering for some reason I think you're over thinking the whole thing. Not every dog sleeps on a human bed, gets groomed professionally and eats a premium diet. Doesnt mean they're mistreated.