New Dog Food Issue

Hi all,

I started feeding cookie, a black lab, artemis grain free food (Fresh Mix Maximal).

It's great, but now cookie's poo was very soft and sometime almost like having Diarrhea.

I thought it might need sometime to get use to new food, but after 2-3 weeks, it's still pretty soft and smelly.

and he occasionally has bad gas too.

I used to feed him Hill's Science Diet.

Should I change to other brand, like eagle pack or maybe different Artemis?

I want to stick to premium brand..

Thanks.

I had a similar problem with Artemis and other Super premiums - I put it down to just being too rich for Orbit's stomach and changed till I found something that worked better. :D

haha..

yea probably too much protein.

What do you feed your obit now?

We have been feeding Nutro since 2000 with no issues. ;)

During the tiime when the US made Nutro was pulled from the market, and before it became available as an Australian made product we tried Artemis, Orijen, and Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance, none of which agreed with our dogs.

The only other product which ageees with ours is Ziwipeak, but with six adults it is a little costly.

Ours are all house dogs and sleep on my bed so it's important that they do not emit too much gas. :D

Whilst we now feed a 2/3rds home-made diet, the other 1/3rd is Nutro.

We have a bitch in whelp and she is now on Nutro Puppy, we will wean the litter on Nutro to start with.

We have been feeding Nutro since 2000 with no issues. :rofl:

During the tiime when the US made Nutro was pulled from the market, and before it became available as an Australian made product we tried Artemis, Orijen, and Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance, none of which agreed with our dogs.

The only other product which ageees with ours is Ziwipeak, but with six adults it is a little costly.

Ours are all house dogs and sleep on my bed so it's important that they do not emit too much gas. :birthday:

Whilst we now feed a 2/3rds home-made diet, the other 1/3rd is Nutro.

We have a bitch in whelp and she is now on Nutro Puppy, we will wean the litter on Nutro to start with.

I was feeding the imported Nutro when it was pulled from the market and like you I tried Orijen and Artemis. The dogs did reasonably well on Orijen then I couldn't get that anymore so I switched to Artemis. Neither of the Artemis products agreed with my dogs and I got soft runny poo and lots of gas. I persevered with the product for 3 months, but then gave up on it as my two young boys were starting to lose weight and their coats weren't the best.

I am now feeding the the Australian Nutro and although I'm not entirely happy with the ingredients my dogs do very well on it.

Artemis appears to be a very good food and I would like to be able to feed it, but unfortunately it doesn't suit my dogs.

My lab does really well on the Australian Nutro for large breeds. I switched him to that from Advance and the difference in his coat and poos since then has been huge, very much improved on both counts.

I am also an advocate of Nutro. My boy has allergies and it has taken me a LONG time to find something that works for him. I had him on Artemis for 3 or 4 months and it was not working and he got scarily thin, his coat condition was poor. I got given a small bag of Nutro Lamb & Rice, and tried him on that and there was a noticeable change just from that 3kg bag. Since I have switched him over he is a new dog, and is finally starting to regain some of his lost weight.

I have since worked out that he is allergic to chicken, as well as wheat.

.gif

Edited by Rysup

I am also an advocate of Nutro. My boy has allergies and it has taken me a LONG time to find something that works for him. I had him on Artemis for 3 or 4 months and it was not working and he got scarily thin, his coat condition was poor. I got given a small bag of Nutro Lamb & Rice, and tried him on that and there was a noticeable change just from that 3kg bag. Since I have switched him over he is a new dog, and is finally starting to regain some of his lost weight.

I have since worked out that he is allergic to chicken, as well as wheat.

.gif

That makes it hard when you have a chicken allergy. While more and more foods don't contain wheat (like Artemis, Earthborn Holistic and a couple of the Nutro lines), so many products are chicken based.

Sags

Hi Dbug,

I purchased two large bags and put all of my dogs on it and their poos became very soft, distinctly smelly and this never changed even after getting through both bags after a few weeks. My feeling was that it was just too much protien and the dogs need some kind of carbs in their diet.

That makes it hard when you have a chicken allergy. While more and more foods don't contain wheat (like Artemis, Earthborn Holistic and a couple of the Nutro lines), so many products are chicken based.

Sags

You are not wrong! It is very hard! I read labels very carefully these days. The L & R Nutro uses Chicken Fat. But it cannot be a huge amount, he seems to tolerate it quite well.

Vast majority of foods contain chicken.

Edited by Rysup