Backyard Plants

borderfan

I am getting my new border collie puppy in 11 days (and counting) and was wondering if someone could tell me which plants are bad or poisonous for dogs to be near. I have 2 quite large flower beds which are currently empty and I am going to make one a vegie patch and one a flower bed and was wondering what plants and fruits/vegies I should avoid. They will be fenced off with mesh but I dont want to put something poisonous or bad for dogs in the garden on the off chance he might somehow get into the garden bed!

Thanks!

Hope this helps a little :eek: Always be careful to use natural fertilizers and plant food etc, and never lay snail bait...

Good luck with your garden...I know my puppies love nothing more than to garden....They always end up re-planting everything I plant and love the smelly fish fertilizer.... :)

Plants

Bulbs

Daffodils

Lilles

Rhododendron

Ivy

Wandering Dew

Wisteria

Lantana Berries

Poinsettias

Mistletoe

Azalea

Agapanthus

Cedar Berries

Oleander

Tulips

Hydrangea

Dracaena

Aloe Vera

Products

Rat Poison

Tobacco

Xylitol

Pesticides

Brake Fluid

Anti-Freeze

Weed Killer

Snail Bait

Cockroach Bait

Insecticides

Fertilizers

Herbicides

Bleach

Plant Food

Citronella

Human Toothpaste

Foods

Onions

Coffee & Tea

Chocolate

Alcohol

Avocado

Grapes & Raisins

Baking Powder & Soda

Macadamia nuts

Fruit Pips

Rhubarb leaves

Yeast dough/Bread

Tomato leaves & stems

Hops

Potato leaves and stems

Walnuts

Alfalfa

Artificial sweetener

Candy

Moldy Food

Milk

Medicines

Paracetamol

Diet Pills

Anti-depressants

Cold Medicines

Tylonal

Phenytoin

I always plant tomatoes my dogs leave them alone.

I also have potatos in my garden.

Most bulbs are dangerous, but I have always had bulbs in my garden, no dog problems with them.

With the cedar and ivy, its the ivy berries and Whte Cedar berries.

Oleander is just as poisness to people as it is animals.

I have had a vedge and flower garden with all my dogs.

The only problem I ever had is getting to the strawberries, before they get them.

stupid question but what are bulbs?

A lot of spring flowering plants like daffodils, jonquils, hyacinths, tulips,iris etc

and summer lowering plants like Liliums, Callas, Gladies, etc

grow from an "onion like" bulb that is planted some months before they flower.

Many people dig these bulbs up after flowering and store them in a shed or whatever until time to re plant.

This storage time is when dogs would more likely get to them

i think my dog has contact allergy from ivy so i am now in the process of removing what looks like 50 years of ivy from my garden.

the ivy trunk in some places is 40cm diameter and need a chain saw to get through it eek:

stupid question but what are bulbs?

A lot of spring flowering plants like daffodils, jonquils, hyacinths, tulips,iris etc

and summer lowering plants like Liliums, Callas, Gladies, etc

grow from an "onion like" bulb that is planted some months before they flower.

Many people dig these bulbs up after flowering and store them in a shed or whatever until time to re plant.

This storage time is when dogs would more likely get to them

ohh ok thanks

I'm by no way a gardener and don't have any garden beds in my yard. After losing a couple of puppies about 12 mths ago from chewing on plants in my friends garden I won't have any gardens where my dogs can get to.....

It was just horrible seeing healthy, vibrant puppies go downhill so quickly.........

Now I warn all my puppy buyers to check their gardens and watch what the puppy is doing if you do have plants where the puppy will be kept.

Just google poisonous plants - you will be surprised just how many are poisonous :thumbsup:

Edited by ozmalinois

A new garden bed with a new puppy? best of luck!! :thumbsup:

make sure the fence around your gardens is made so it cannot be climbed over/under!

We HAD a garden.. about 3 months back.. now it just looks like someone has taken a lawn mower through all the garden beds!

So yes, good luck! Putting fencing up around the garden beds is a good idea!

We have a oleander plant, which is very poisonous if ingested. Its quite big and pretty when in flower. (It was here when we bought the house) Our Cavs don't go outside a lot, and when they do, we supervise them. I've never seen go near it actually. We have since made a smaller enclosed area now because they were starting to dig up and eat the next door cat's poo grrrr !

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

The plant Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow (Brunfelsia bonodora) is very poisonous!!! We had a dog in at work over the last few days with poisoning - shows neurological signs such as seizuring etc... nasty plant!!!!!!! they also loose ability to use their back legs - maybe do a google search for the piccy of it....

I went through this not that long ago and found the ASPCA website helpful (link below) when I was looking at puppy proofing the yard. One plant that I wasn't expecting to be a problem was Azalea.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

This ASPCA link has a searchable database of plants, that are puppy friendly and ones which are not. I found that for the plants I was looking for, most of the common names that we use here in AU were the same for those in the US. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a list of Australian "Native" plants that are safe or dangerous that I could find- I know Grevilleas can be a problem from contact allergies.

I cordoned off the garden beds because my puppy loves to eat any leaves, and even if they were'nt poisonous, she would eat too much salad and upset her tummy. Don't forget potting mix is toxic, both from soil bacteria and from the fertilizer pellets in them, also blood and bone, dynamic lifter etc are all hazardous. From my experience cover the fish pond before you get puppy home, otherwise puppy may take a swim, apart from the water being cold, some algae growing in ponds can be toxic. Also remember that if you live in a recycled water aea that this type of water isn't fit for drinking, so any water features that have recycled water need to be covered so puppy doesn't drink it. Puppies have small bodies, so some things that larger dog may tolerate can have major effects on a puppy.