Earthborn Holistics

i'm trialing some new foods on my dogs and was wondering if anyone had heard anything about earthborn holistics or tried it themselves?

i'm trialing primitive natural (grain free) on one and ocean fusion on another.

any experience would be much appreciated.

i've added a link where you can see the ingerdients and guarenteed analysis if needed. http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/

cheers

i'm trialing some new foods on my dogs and was wondering if anyone had heard anything about earthborn holistics or tried it themselves?

i'm trialing primitive natural (grain free) on one and ocean fusion on another.

any experience would be much appreciated.

i've added a link where you can see the ingerdients and guarenteed analysis if needed. http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/

cheers

1. They are based in the US. Importing will be very difficult and if, it will be irradiated which can change the structure in some foods (remember the Orijen cat food scandal?)

2. Ocean Fusion - every time I read "meal" I just want to run. No matter, if fish meal, chicken meal, etc. Those are the things we do not want in dog foods (I definitely wont). Canola oil can be genetically modified, why do they not use a good oil instead?

3. Primitive natural - meal, meal, meal again. Is that chicken organic? Why not? What about the egg, was it raw and then dried or boiled and dried?

My very personal opinion? I would stay away from it.

I also read the many supplementary ingredients, depending on the health of the dog it could be beneficial to add them, but without knowing the dog I would be cautious. They do not state amounts and e.g. an overdose in B vitamins can be quite problematic.

Meal is what you want, so long as its a single protein. It's just the meat that's had the water taken from it.

For a dog food, I think the ingredients in the grain free are good.

Edited by stormie

1. They are based in the US. Importing will be very difficult and if, it will be irradiated which can change the structure in some foods (remember the Orijen cat food scandal?)

The food has been here for some time now and it is not irradiated.

For the opening poster - I've fed Evie on the Adult Vantage and Ocean Fusion - she enjoyed both but particularly liked the latter, she always likes fish! What I do like about the Ocean Fusion is that it contains no other animal proteins, so may be of benefit to those dogs who do have allergies in some areas.

Meal is meat with the water taken out of it.

Sags

The food has been here for some time now and it is not irradiated.

For the opening poster - I've fed Evie on the Adult Vantage and Ocean Fusion - she enjoyed both but particularly liked the latter, she always likes fish! What I do like about the Ocean Fusion is that it contains no other animal proteins, so may be of benefit to those dogs who do have allergies in some areas.

Meal is meat with the water taken out of it.

Sags

So how do they get it into the country? To my knowledge every fresh food gets irradiated, would be interesting to know?

I know what 'meal' means, the trouble with commercially manufactured meals and by-products is that they are often highly contaminated with bacteria because they do not always use slaughtered animals. On top of all fungi can be present, quite often in fish meal.

Edited by Dagmar

They get into the country by being manufactured in an AQIS approved facility and complying to a long list of criteria. Same as Artemis, Royal Canin, Eukanuba, Canidae etc.

Not all manufacturers are the same, either. Some actually put the pet first and use human grade foods that are handled to a high level of care. Not simply use the bits off the floor. I've had the opportunity to go through a number of plants that had stringet quality control standards.

Sags

They get into the country by being manufactured in an AQIS approved facility and complying to a long list of criteria. Same as Artemis, Royal Canin, Eukanuba, Canidae etc.

Not all manufacturers are the same, either. Some actually put the pet first and use human grade foods that are handled to a high level of care. Not simply use the bits off the floor. I've had the opportunity to go through a number of plants that had stringet quality control standards.

Sags

I know, it is really hard to get something into Australia - and very expensive!

That is true, there are differences between manufacturers, unfortunately it is very hard for the consumer to see on the label which ones are good and which ones are not. You are so lucky to visit those plants! I wish I had that opportunity.

Can you share your experiences?

Thanks!