Finding A Good Breeder

furballs

Furballs, I think you have raised an excellent question. I am not a breeder, but a person who is awaiting delivery of a puppy from a breeder. I particularly like Steve's answer to your question, and thought I would put forward what I did to put my mind at ease on these issues.

Having chosen a breed (Brittany), I started looking for availability of pups. This is a somewhat uncommon breed with only about 20 registered breeders in Australia (listed on DOL anyway). I rang a small breeder who had circumstances similar to mine (family shape and size etc) and discussed the merits of the breed and what I was really after. Buying a kids pet, temperament was formost on my list of "wants". I discussed this with this breeder and she was happy to direct me to a few breeders who had an excellent reputation for breeding dogs with great temperament. Some further research showed that one of these breeders in particular, often supplies pups for breeding to other registered breeders. I took this to be quite reassuring - she was breeding breeding quality pups. On other breeders websites I found quite a few mentions of how valuable this breeder is to the breed and how supportive she has been to various people. Talking to this lady on the phone, I found we "clicked". I started to get the sense that the investment I was making was not just paying for a dog, but paying for this lady's lifetime of knowledge and experience. Her personality, reputation within the breed and many years experience was guarantee enough for me. I decided that I wanted one of her pups, because I had faith in her as a breeder.

I did speak to other breeders. Perhaps not surprisingly, I found one breeder who I was warned did not have the very best temperament in one of her lines, to not have the best temperament herself when I spoke to her! Other breeders were helpful and friendly but did not have a litter scheduled in my time line. In the end, having chosen an excellent breeder, and having every confidence in her, I have waited quite a long time for my puppy (about 4 months - not that long in purebred dog circles, but it seems like a long time to me!), but the experience has been very reassuring that I have made the right choice.

Also, during my research phase I discussed the merits (and demerits) of the breed with quite a few breeders to discover if I was choosing the right breed. Opinions varied, but I often got a sense of the person behind the opinion.

I understand why you ask these questions. While I researched it did seem to me that there are breeders (in all breeds) who are breeding show dogs, to the breed standard, or trying to improve the breed, but that this does not necessarily produce the best pet.

I chose purebred because I wanted predictability in temperament and suitability / activity level etc for our family. I chose registered because I think unregistered purebred is the most dangerous choice health wise. If I were located closer to a shelter, I would have seriously looked at adopting from a shelter, but due to my remote location this was not feasible.

Buying your purebred registered dog should be pleasant, empowering and should fill you with confidence. If you are not getting this experience, find another breeder.

I also don't believe in guarantees re health. All anyone can do is better the odds, and have the right repuation, personality etc to step in and help if there is a problem in the future.

I agree with Steve, some of the questions should be about 'horses for courses' if you'll pardon the metaphor. Plus I think this is an excellent response and approach from a prospective puppy buyer.

Do not think that because this might be your first dog that the problem is unique. I am currently looking for a second breed and have been doing my homework for about 8 months. Those on here who know me will be able to tell you that at shows I work the rings looking and asking questions. I have spent hours researching the history or a couple of breeds, thier genetic problems, temperaments, etc. I have almost decided, I have handled some of these breeds in the show ring for other people - which then raised more questions for me so I went back to the research.

Now that I have narrowed it down to one breed, I must wait until the right puppy for me is born. And given that there are not many breeders I could wait quite some time.

So it comes down to research, research and questions and then patience.

Good luck

Edited by mercedes

Registered Reputable breeders are above board as people AND breeders and HEALTH test all their dogs and CAN supply CERTIFICATES for all tests completed upon request!

Can you point me to to the list of "Registered Reputable Breeders" please..? ;) Is it online or perhaps the ANKC has it available?

:D :)

Homework ,homework, homework as you stated!!!

ANKC as you would know has a code of ethics which I believe is fair!! ;)

But my point was ETHICAL people are just that, and in turn one would hope they were ethical breeders too. Unethical people in my view have a very slim hope of being an ethical breeder .

How does a regular person know that they are aquiring a puppy that is sound in health and behaviour?

I think that most people who get a pedigree pup do so for reasons of guaranteed health, behaviour, etc, and because they believe they are doing the right thing.

So, how do I know, as your customer, that I am getting what I think I'm getting?

Registered Reputable breeders are above board as people AND breeders and HEALTH test all their dogs and CAN supply CERTIFICATES for all tests completed upon request!

As stated in ANKC ethics they provide LIFETIME service and advice with their puppies they sell. I suggest you FURBALL have a look at the ANKC website.

there is a lot of great information there1

Good luck in your search (if in fact you are looking for a new family member)

Breeders who have nothing to hide will in fact provide people who have had past puppies and are happy for you to make contact with them ( all parties agreeable)

I in fact have contracts for all my dogs that are rehomed.

Referring me to sites and information I have seen over and over again will not help. My question is how do I know that I'm getting what I think I'm getting. I know from experience that getting a pup from a registered breeder does not mean a healthy or ethically bred dog.

Research the breeder well before you make your decision, that's all you can really do.

Edited by Aussie3