Finding A Good Breeder

furballs

How does a regular person know that they are aquiring a puppy that is sound in health and behaviour?

I think that most people who get a pedigree pup do so for reasons of guaranteed health, behaviour, etc, and because they believe they are doing the right thing.

So, how do I know, as your customer, that I am getting what I think I'm getting?

How does a regular person know that they are aquiring a puppy that is sound in health and behaviour?

I think that most people who get a pedigree pup do so for reasons of guaranteed health, behaviour, etc, and because they believe they are doing the right thing.

So, how do I know, as your customer, that I am getting what I think I'm getting?

Registered Reputable breeders are above board as people AND breeders and HEALTH test all their dogs and CAN supply CERTIFICATES for all tests completed upon request!

As stated in ANKC ethics they provide LIFETIME service and advice with their puppies they sell. I suggest you FURBALL have a look at the ANKC website.

there is a lot of great information there1

Good luck in your search (if in fact you are looking for a new family member)

Breeders who have nothing to hide will in fact provide people who have had past puppies and are happy for you to make contact with them ( all parties agreeable)

I in fact have contracts for all my dogs that are rehomed.

Registered Reputable breeders are above board as people AND breeders and HEALTH test all their dogs and CAN supply CERTIFICATES for all tests completed upon request!

As stated in ANKC ethics they provide LIFETIME service and advice with their puppies they sell. I suggest you FURBALL have a look at the ANKC website.

Breeders who have nothing to hide will in fact provide people who have had past puppies and are happy for you to make contact with them ( all parties agreeable)

What kind of things do you include in the contracts?

Do health certs go with purebred?

My friend got a purebred JRT and she got a resume type thing. It included the pups pedigree, pictures of parents and health details, pups health checks, grandparents info, info on previous litters, contact details etc.

Is this a common ting for breeders to do?

I agree. I have copies of all DNA tests, certificates etc adn am very up front with people who enquire about adopting one of our pups. I am also a believer in life time support - we had a litter last year and one of the buyers asked if I could take her pup back when it was 7 months old because her circumstances had changed.

That is part of the deal here - if you cant keep your baby, we have first option on him/her coming home to us.

There are lots of other things but I have to say that sometimes you have to just keep asking questions to and eventually go with your instincts.

Im my experience those who have been duped should have seen the signs .

Many arent prepared to wait for the right breeder nor ask very simple questions.

Many people also dont make themselves smart purchasers,there is so much basic groundwork people can do but many seem not too & then end up in a pickle,

There is so much info on the net & the likes that any person wishing to buy a set breed can go armed with many questions & also make themselves that breed savvy once they have hit the wishing tom purchase stage.

As for passing on previous puppy owners details that is one thing we would never ever do,there privacy is something that should be respected & unless you have something in your contract given people the option to be used in such a manner it isnt a breeders right to hand out those details

Referring me to sites and information I have seen over and over again will not help. My question is how do I know that I'm getting what I think I'm getting. I know from experience that getting a pup from a registered breeder does not mean a healthy or ethically bred dog.

Many arent prepared to wait for the right breeder nor ask very simple questions.

Many people also dont make themselves smart purchasers,there is so much basic groundwork people can do but many seem not too & then end up in a pickle,

There is so much info on the net & the likes that any person wishing to buy a set breed can go armed with many questions & also make themselves that breed savvy once they have hit the wishing tom purchase stage.

As for passing on previous puppy owners details that is one thing we would never ever do,there privacy is something that should be respected & unless you have something in your contract given people the option to be used in such a manner it isnt a breeders right to hand out those details

Do you have any advic eon the types of questions a buyer should ask of a breeder?

Be most helpful...we are goign to get a bulldog in a few years and I havespent years looking on the internwet about the breed, but apart from a few questiosn around health and car,I wouldn't knwo what else to ask the breeder.

I spent about 4 years researching breeders in my state, and eventually chose one that should have been the most reputable of all. I asked all the questions and took what the breeder was saying as gospel, because she is a registered breeder and must know everything about the breed right? Wrong...very very wrong.

I think the best thing to do is learn as much as you can about your chosen breed, that way you would know the questions to ask that are relevant to your breed.

Once I found the breeder I wanted a pup from, (and once she was happy to let me have one of her pups) I found she was happy to tell me all she could about the breed. Her husband joked to me that once she starts talking dachshunds she never knows when to stop :rofl:

I waited 9 months for him to be born, and in that time we spoke often. He is now nearly 8 years old and we are still in touch.

It was really a gut feeling that she was the right one, and when the time comes for another dachshund it would be from her again, or someone she recommends to me

Do health certs go with purebred?

My friend got a purebred JRT and she got a resume type thing. It included the pups pedigree, pictures of parents and health details, pups health checks, grandparents info, info on previous litters, contact details etc.

Is this a common ting for breeders to do?

I cant speak for other breeders but for me it is what I do!

Maybe you can read the ANKC code of ethics and the whole website, there is some really interesting and helpful infromation on there.

What kind of things do you include in the contracts?

Referring me to sites and information I have seen over and over again will not help. My question is how do I know that I'm getting what I think I'm getting. I know from experience that getting a pup from a registered breeder does not mean a healthy or ethically bred dog.

lol! YOU will learn, maybe if you listen to some of the people who give you information on DOL YOU will learn, reading and research, eventually it will sink in! lol

as I said (all parties agreeable) I have it in my contracts and puppy buyers can opt out or in the choice is theirs many want to saty in contact with others in the same breed, I cannot speak for others as I stated THIS is for me!!THEIR privacy is respected it is personal choice, having been in the Public Law Enforcement arena I am all to aware of peoples Privacy and rights! lol

However having said that these days !! FOI waves a big stick in either direction and most peoples details are available on the electoral role for all to see! lol

You dont - no person regular or other wise can ever be 100 per cent certain no matter how much you put into finding a breeder or the breeder puts into making the dog.

A dog is a living breathing thing with 100,000 plus genes and health and behaviour are impacted by unlimited variables.

Quote. I think that most people who get a pedigree pup do so for reasons of guaranteed health, behaviour, etc, and because they believe they are doing the right thing.

I don't, most people who come to buy puppies from me want to know that it's management characteristics and its temperament are predictible to ensure the dog will be best suited to their lifestyle and make it easier to live with.They want assurances that I have done what ever I can to eliminate potential health problems, through knowledge of the health issues which may have shown in the ancestors and my management decisions in how the parents and the pups are fed, housed, and treated.

Any person or any breeder who guarantees health and behaviour past the first few weeks needs to re think the realities. Health is impacted by diet, environment,chemicals, bacteria, viruses, fungi, moulds,stress as well as genetic conditions which no one could have had a clue were hiding or needing to be tested for.

Behaviour can be impacted by health, training or lack there of,boredom and a bunch of other things too numerous to list. I am mother to 8 children and up until about 6 months ago for all intents and purposes I was a good candidate for breeding. No known nasty genetic diseases in my lines so nothing to test for before I became a Mum. :rofl: . Then 6 months ago one of my kids who is now in her late 30's was diagnosed with a rare genetic disease - subsequent tests have shown that so far 3 out of the 4 who have been tested are affected and its been proven via bloodtests that I am a carrier. 13 grandkids will now be tested to ascertain their status.Thats only because now we know the problem is in the pedigree :) we know what to test for but its not something humans are routinely screened for so anyone reading this 5% of you could have this genetic disease or be carrying it. My point is when you are dealing with mammals - shit happens and while a breeder can test for the known problems and make decisions to cut down on known genetic diseases in the breed and in the pedigree if you want a guarantee on health no one ,no matter what, can give you that guarantee.

Quote So, how do I know, as your customer, that I am getting what I think I'm getting?

Here in lies the problem. In order for a breeder to know you can get or will get what you think you are getting they have to know what that is.

If I know you want a dog who will play fetch with you then I know to tell you that a Maremma will not do that with you. If you dont tell me I assume you know you cant play fetch with a Maremma or I cover that and let you know that even though you dont mention it because experience tells me sometimes people who want a Maremma dont know that. There is no such thing as a guarantee against genetic diseases as mixed breed dogs have potentially hundreds more genetic diseases than a purebred but a breeder can guarantee against some of the known genetic diseases in the breed especially where there is a DNA test available for a recessive disease - for example PRA. A breeder cannot guarantee against Hip Dysplasia or Patella problems because they are polygenic and no amount of knowledge or testing will give a guarantee it wont show up.A breeder cannot guarantee against a mutation showing up or a genetic disorder they couldnt test for or reasonably avoid.

A breeder cant guarantee a dog wont bite the neighbours kids, or eat the family cat.

If you expect that for 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the next couple of years they will be available for you and they dont normally have any contact with puppy buyers after the sale when they arent doing what you assumed they would do - there's a problem.

Yes, I thoroughly agree with Steve's comments. As breeders, all we can do is try our best with testing for known inherant faults and diseases, research our lines and hope that nature doesn't decide to throw in a glitch in so far as giving our puppies as healthy a life as possible. Once the puppies leave us, although each breed has basic personality expectations, these are influenced by the puppy's treatment and experiences once they've left our care. Often new families are causing their own problems in the way they are training or interacting with their pet, without even realising they are.

Choosing a breeder is a little like choosing your own doctor, dentist or any other personal service. It is partly research and partly intuition. A lot comes down to trust (on both sides) and the comfort and rapport you build up with the breeder will lend greatly towards how trusting either party is.

You should ask questions that should be confidently answered, and honestly. Ask whatever is on your mind without being ridiculous or goading and the breeder will be happy to answer. You should also be aware of what is being asked of you as well. A caring breeder will want to know about you and the puppy's future life. She/he will also emphasis a need to keep in contact with you and will also seek that you come back with any problems you may have either with the puppy's health or behaviours. This is not only to help you, but also assists the breeder to know the results of her breeding programme.

If a breeder is going to be responsible about any inherant developments relating to a puppy after it is adopted out, then no contracts or guarantees are required, simply communication with the breeder who will respond appropriately.

Reputable breeders will provide you with your puppies papers, be them on the main or the limit register, not just a copy of the parents papers. All puppies produced from a reputable ANKC breeders, will be registered. Pedigree papers guarantee that you have in fact purchased a pure breed puppy, do not accept anything less.

Reputable breeders abide by the Code Of Ethics, which they have agreed to when becoming a registered ANKC breeder. Some may also be members of breed clubs and organisations such as the Master Dog Breeders Academy, and have agreed to an additional and extended code of conduct and ethics.

Reputable breeders carefully select puppy buyers and endeavour to unsure that their puppy gets the best possible home. They ensure that the person intending to purchase has an understanding of the breed and its requirements before they commit to any sale. The breeder wants to ensure the puppy will fit into their new home and become a treasured family member. This is why a breeder will ask many questions about your home and your lifestyle.

Reputable breeders have the breeds best interests at heart, they seek to improve on what they have and aspire to producing quality dogs and bitches that are within the breed standard. They aim for consistency in type, temperament, structure and soundness. They desire to protect the breed from the unscrupulous.

Reputable breeders have an in-depth knowledge of their breed and they are always willing to learn. They have an open mind and give new ideas, the practices and experiences of others due consideration.

Reputable breeders are those who share their knowledge for the betterment of the breed. They mentor and guide others not only in their breed but in the dog world.

Reputable Breeders care as much in ten years time about the dogs they produce as they did when they were born. They have a vested interest in any dogs they produce, for their lifetime, not just the time in their care. This also means taking back or assisting to rehome any animal they have bred, should the dog be unable to remain with its owner, for any reason.

Reputable breeders constantly assessing their plans, goals and motives.

Reputable breeders test and screen for applicable known problems within their breed, they are open and honest about their results to potential puppy buyers and are selective in their breeding program to improve on said results.

Reputable breeders do not need to discredit other reputable breeders, in order to justify their own breeding program, nor do they need to discredit or harass their "competition" they are confident that their own dogs can stand on their merits and that their results will speak for themselves.

Reputable breeders can acknowledge and admit faults in their own dogs just as much as they recognise the good points. Therefore they can move forward and improve. In saying this a reputable breeder can also recognise a good dog from other breeders therefore allowing the breed as a whole to continue to move forward.

Furballs, I think you have raised an excellent question. I am not a breeder, but a person who is awaiting delivery of a puppy from a breeder. I particularly like Steve's answer to your question, and thought I would put forward what I did to put my mind at ease on these issues.

Having chosen a breed (Brittany), I started looking for availability of pups. This is a somewhat uncommon breed with only about 20 registered breeders in Australia (listed on DOL anyway). I rang a small breeder who had circumstances similar to mine (family shape and size etc) and discussed the merits of the breed and what I was really after. Buying a kids pet, temperament was formost on my list of "wants". I discussed this with this breeder and she was happy to direct me to a few breeders who had an excellent reputation for breeding dogs with great temperament. Some further research showed that one of these breeders in particular, often supplies pups for breeding to other registered breeders. I took this to be quite reassuring - she was breeding breeding quality pups. On other breeders websites I found quite a few mentions of how valuable this breeder is to the breed and how supportive she has been to various people. Talking to this lady on the phone, I found we "clicked". I started to get the sense that the investment I was making was not just paying for a dog, but paying for this lady's lifetime of knowledge and experience. Her personality, reputation within the breed and many years experience was guarantee enough for me. I decided that I wanted one of her pups, because I had faith in her as a breeder.

I did speak to other breeders. Perhaps not surprisingly, I found one breeder who I was warned did not have the very best temperament in one of her lines, to not have the best temperament herself when I spoke to her! Other breeders were helpful and friendly but did not have a litter scheduled in my time line. In the end, having chosen an excellent breeder, and having every confidence in her, I have waited quite a long time for my puppy (about 4 months - not that long in purebred dog circles, but it seems like a long time to me!), but the experience has been very reassuring that I have made the right choice.

Also, during my research phase I discussed the merits (and demerits) of the breed with quite a few breeders to discover if I was choosing the right breed. Opinions varied, but I often got a sense of the person behind the opinion.

I understand why you ask these questions. While I researched it did seem to me that there are breeders (in all breeds) who are breeding show dogs, to the breed standard, or trying to improve the breed, but that this does not necessarily produce the best pet.

I chose purebred because I wanted predictability in temperament and suitability / activity level etc for our family. I chose registered because I think unregistered purebred is the most dangerous choice health wise. If I were located closer to a shelter, I would have seriously looked at adopting from a shelter, but due to my remote location this was not feasible.

Buying your purebred registered dog should be pleasant, empowering and should fill you with confidence. If you are not getting this experience, find another breeder.

I also don't believe in guarantees re health. All anyone can do is better the odds, and have the right repuation, personality etc to step in and help if there is a problem in the future.

Can you point me to to the list of "Registered Reputable Breeders" please..? :D Is it online or perhaps the ANKC has it available?

Edited by Bull Terr(ific)

A bloody LOT of homework..!! (starting here, like you've done).

When we first looked at getting involved with the breed we have, we nearly made the fatal error of getting what was to be our foundation bitch from a "breeder' who we 'thought' was reputable because they held a high position within the breed club. Wow were we lucky that we didnt go down that path.

Homework, homework, then some more homework. :D

Edited by Bull Terr(ific)