Sometimes Luuka Really Surprises Me

FranVT

When I get home from work I always take a very excited Luuka outside to the front yard to play / toilet / run around a bit. Yesterday's play included throwing a stick for her (I make sure I get ones with no super pointy ends and I don't let her catch them in the air). It was just a random stick, my dad's garden is huuuge (it's a native rainforest garden with a lawn at the top) and there are heaps of sticks, leaves, mulch etc in it. Yesterday when we'd finished playing I just tossed the stick back into the undergrowth where it came from.

Today, we go out the front and I sort of nonchalantly say "where's a stick?" while wandering over to the letterbox. I turn around and she's in the garden, rummaging around, and she emerges with THE STICK. I knew it was the same one because I could see where I'd smoothed the end and it had a knobbly branch-attachy bit on the other end plus there was teeth marks in it.

:smashpc:

She didn't see where I tossed the stick yesterday, she was already tearing down the driveway when I tossed it back into the garden.

She brought me the stick, dropped it at my feet and barked sharply at me while I stood there completely dumbfounded.

What a clever girl! :laugh:

Scary I reckon! We've never done any training using the word 'stick' or anything so I don't know how she knew, I guess she just had a really kick-ass time yesterday! She also had to go a fair bit out of her way into the garden to get the stick..

maybe it could be a new scent game where you have different items and use latex gloves to place all of them but only only take of the gloves so it has your scent and see if she brings it to you. she might have fun doing this!!

Well, actually, I did hope to use her for tracking :laugh: So she is showing some ability already! I was so stunned when she had that stick I can only imagine what anyone looking thought of my expression :smashpc:

Well, actually, I did hope to use her for tracking :rofl: So she is showing some ability already! I was so stunned when she had that stick I can only imagine what anyone looking thought of my expression :thumbsup:

what a clever girl fran. I always wondered how dogs pick up the "where's the stick", or "where's the ball" thing. My dog is too obsessed with sticks now he brings them in from outside drops them at my feet and begs me to play.

Our Wei used to do that. I'd throw a stick onto a huge pile (we have lots of sticks here) and she'd go in and bring back the exact stick. As you say - "THE stick". It must be a scent challenge for them. And how can you NOT be proud and encourage it? :provoke: Except we were trying to clear up the sticks and she would just keep bringing them back off the piles to us! :)

She would always have a collection of sticks at the door waiting for us to go out and play.

Can't say I was too worried about the pointy bits etc - she managed ok. After all, if she could deal with husking AND shelling Macadamia nuts a stick is nothing. :champagne: