Deleted

Moselle

I remember my Dad telling me once about someone he knew that bought free cats and kittens out of the local paper and used them as live greyhound bait. :(

Which is why you should NEVER give animals away. :wave:

hmm that is awful but i guess it is the way of that game

i was talking to a greyhound owner...actually the daughter of one so she probably wasnt supposed to say anything about it

she just said that the hounds they kept were blooded...using live lures when possible because she reckoned nothing worked in training better than the real thing

it is funny what people say when they dont know what your real take on it is...it is awful too not saying anything...but thats the way some situations pan out...it is safer sometimes not to let on

hmm that is awful but i guess it is the way of that game

i was talking to a greyhound owner...actually the daughter of one so she probably wasnt supposed to say anything about it

she just said that the hounds they kept were blooded...using live lures when possible because she reckoned nothing worked in training better than the real thing

it is funny what people say when they dont know what your real take on it is...it is awful too not saying anything...but thats the way some situations pan out...it is safer sometimes not to let on

What do you mean that the hounds that they kept were blooded?

ok..just got back to this thread so sorry for the delay Moselle

this girl i met at the beach one day last summer got talking and as i said let slip not knowing how i felt about the whole racing industry ...

and she said that her dad always let their dogs get live bait...rabbits...i assume

she said that it made them better racers if the reward was live bait..she expressed some regret...at least in her facial expression...but i guess when you grow up in the industry, you get hardened understandably and she was only in her twenties so plenty of time to ruminate as she grows older hopefully and distanced from those experiences of her family

I raced my whippets, it was purely amateur but they were keener than alot of racing greyhounds and I never blooded them. It might be because greyhounds are more laid back than whippets or maybe because I have a closer relationship with my whippets and was able to incite them purely by talking to them.

What do you mean that the hounds that they kept were blooded?

this means they are trained with live animals and are allowed to kill (hence the old phallacy if you let a dog taste blood it will become vicious) the natural movement of the prey animal and the satisfaction of a real lure caught and killed can increase the dogs prey drive and motivation.

I raced my whippets, it was purely amateur but they were keener than alot of racing greyhounds and I never blooded them. It might be because greyhounds are more laid back than whippets or maybe because I have a closer relationship with my whippets and was able to incite them purely by talking to them.

What?

Greyhounds don't need to be 'blooded' any more than your whippets do. The closeness or otherwise of your relationship with your dog is irrelevant.

It's just bullshit.

And just because PercyK runs into a silly, ignorant loud-mouthed cow has never bothered to learn about the proper way to train dogs, doesn't mean what she says is true.

There are far more effective and reliable ways to get a dog chasing than to 'blood' it. But instead we get scum trying to justify the practice. It is cruel and totally inexcusable. And the people that talk about it and say it's necessary should have their filthy mouths washed out.

What?

Greyhounds don't need to be 'blooded' any more than your whippets do. The closeness or otherwise of your relationship with your dog is irrelevant.

It's just bullshit.

And just because PercyK runs into a silly, ignorant loud-mouthed cow has never bothered to learn about the proper way to train dogs, doesn't mean what she says is true.

There are far more effective and reliable ways to get a dog chasing than to 'blood' it. But instead we get scum trying to justify the practice. It is cruel and totally inexcusable. And the people that talk about it and say it's necessary should have their filthy mouths washed out.

Mmmmm, no need to swear at me. It didn't really come out right though, I admit. I dont see why they need to blood greyhounds but it almost sounds like I think it's necessary because of the way they are raised. That is definitely not what I meant to say. I think anyone caught doing it should be jailed and banned from owning greyhounds for life, that is what I'd like to see.

Edited by Kirislin

Ok, sorry K, thanks for explaining.

Saying that a Greyhound needs to be blooded to make it a good race dog is like saying that a Jack Russell Terrier needs to be given rats to kill to make it a good fly-ball dog.

The people that do it are pretty moronic, as well as being very cruel.

What?

It's just bullshit.

Mmmmm, no need to swear at me. It didn't really come out right though, I admit. I dont see why they need to blood greyhounds but it almost sounds like I think it's necessary because of the way they are raised. That is definitely not what I meant to say. I think anyone caught doing it should be jailed and banned from owning greyhounds for life, that is what I'd like to see.

I so agree! Anyone caught using live lure for their greyhounds should be jailed and banned from owning greyhounds or any animal for life! The only problem is that it is already illegal but it is not something that can be policed hence it still continues. It takes a certain type of person to do that sort of thing and such people will always play a role in this world unfortunately. My only hope is that such sorry excuses of human beings get their just desserts, hate them with a passion. :laugh:

Saying that a Greyhound needs to be blooded to make it a good race dog is like saying that a Jack Russell Terrier needs to be given rats to kill to make it a good fly-ball dog.

I agree.

Edited by Moselle

My personal belief, GM, is that people who do that sort of thing actually enjoy it, they get a sense of satisfaction in seeing defenceless animals being torn to shreds! May they end up the same!!!

Some do, but it is probably best if I don't keep swearing.

I remember the RSPCA set up a sting in QLD about 8 years ago, and a family got done for using live chickens. That caused a stir and many people changed to the "RSPCA approved" method of humanely killing the chook before tying it to the arm. I call it "Chook on a stick." There are still much more effective ways to train, but Chook on a Stick does provide an intermittent reward in the form of a food snack.