Ready To Welcome A Puppy Into The Home Too!

haha, sorry about that.. my research on Keeshonds is a tad old :(

or i must have stopped scrolling at some point.

that's a great starting point for me! some less intimidating people to ring up to talk about visiting them!! :laugh: thanks for all your help!

yeah i should make it out to a show at some point.. just keep missing them!

haha lappie picnic I WOULD LOVE TOOOO

i really have never met one!

Seriously, do not be concerned about people being intimidating!! All the lappie people here are awesome and so generous with their time! We can't stop talking about the breed once we get started! :confused:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha,

I LOVEE our community!!

so i'm gonna start making notes and talking to myself and post my progress and tabulate my summaries (i'm an engineer can't be helped!), that's ok? or will I be babbling too much? and feel free to jump in and tell me what should and shouldn't be done too!

Hahaha,

I LOVEE our community!!

so i'm gonna start making notes and talking to myself and post my progress and tabulate my summaries (i'm an engineer can't be helped!), that's ok? or will I be babbling too much? and feel free to jump in and tell me what should and shouldn't be done too!

Go right ahead!!! Will look forward to your conclusions! :confused:

Just quickly health issues in Samoyeds:

The most common is HD and PRA, otherwise they are a pretty healthy, robust breed.

Hot spots can be an issue with some dogs as well as hyperthyroidism

EDT, forgot something

Edited by Wolfsong

Who's Harry? You are missing out if you have not met Harry!

This is Harry

Harry13Mar2010_14sm.jpg

Keeshonds are really quite healthy. PHPT will soon be a thing of the past for responsible breeders now we have a test. Epilepsy is not that common, but it does exist and until a test comes about we all get around in the dark. There is no test available. Skin issues are only in some lines. Everything else Nik mentioned are pretty rare. Well in a well bred dog. BYB dogs certainly seem to cope more problems.

Edited by Rysup

Who's Harry? You are missing out if you have not met Harry!

This is Harry

Harry13Mar2010_14sm.jpg

Rachel!! I AM SO MISSING OUT! I'm really kicking myself for not meeting you at the show 2 years ago!!

I shall upload my tables soon (of what I have so far :confused: )

Oh yes! And then we can have bets on which breed will win!

I'm not sure what you mean by "mixed" for Keeshond colour... They're all black/grey/white - though do have varying shades of darkness.

I think a Kees coat is EASY to groom. But I have also had fully coated Lhasa Apsos.

Must say from my grooming days I found the Samoyeds I groomed much more work, but maybe they were not groomed as often as they should be.

And a Kees should be 17-18. 22 inches is toooooo big!

I agree about the grooming, Rysup. I find Keeshonds easy to groom, too - but on a relative scale they are harder than Lappies.

I guess if I had to do a comparison... Jedi in full coat takes 30-60 minutes to do a full groom (it's been a while!!!). Ahsoka takes about 10 minutes. A male lappie takes about 15-20 minutes.

Edited by TerraNik

I would deduce that an adult male Lappie such as Magnus, would take me no longer than it takes me to do Harry. Entire bitches ARE much easier. Desexed dogs or bitches are much harder, but again, I think this would be the same with all 3 breeds? Desexing changes the coat somewhat.

Samoyeds have a much thicker coat than your average Keeshond. Though I know a couple of Kees who also have very thick coats, but they are not that common.

That is just my experience/opinion though!

I'm not sure what you mean by "mixed" for Keeshond colour... They're all black/grey/white - though do have varying shades of darkness.

Yeah I didn't want to write so i meant like the same 3 mixes but with different darkness.. I was lazy!!! keen to get the table out!!

Damn the website i copied it from!

I would deduce that an adult male Lappie such as Magnus, would take me no longer than it takes me to do Harry. Entire bitches ARE much easier. Desexed dogs or bitches are much harder, but again, I think this would be the same with all 3 breeds? Desexing changes the coat somewhat.

Samoyeds have a much thicker coat than your average Keeshond. Though I know a couple of Kees who also have very thick coats, but they are not that common.

That is just my experience/opinion though!

I will update the grooming to so-so, medium, most difficult? (timewise)

how's taht sound?

I think a Kees coat is EASY to groom. But I have also had fully coated Lhasa Apsos.

Must say from my grooming days I found the Samoyeds I groomed much more work, but maybe they were not groomed as often as they should be.

That could very well be the case.

I left Mistral for two weeks once :smashpc: and wow it took time.

There was no matting or anything but it was harder then the ususal 10 - 15 min groom they usually get.

Both mine have slightly different coats, Mistral's is longer and Allies is shorter but much thicker.

He is harder to brush then she is.

Allie is groomed less then Mistral, her coat simply dosn't need as much work

(disclaimer, I have never left them without brushing for more then 3 weeks in Allie's case and I would never reccomend anyone leave their Samoyed without brushing, bad idea!)

I can remember spending hours and hours doing these two Sammies. My lord they wore me out! But I think they had them groomed about once a year. It showed. :smashpc:

I will leave my Kees (that are retired) about 4 months between bath & grooms. I just did Brie the other day, she took me about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish, and she wont need to be done again until the end of Winter.

Kivi has a very thick and full coat and given Erik is regularly mouthing him his coat gets matted pretty easily. He really needs a full brush all over once a week, but I have to admit he doesn't get it. Mostly because he's sensitive about his back end and sooks and whines and cries about it, so I only do it in short sessions. :thumbsup: Bad Lappie mum, here.