How Close Are You To Your Breeder?

poodlemum

I wish I was in contact with my breeder, but now I feel like if I was to ring, she'd wonder who the heck I was! She was very busy once I brought Heidi home (with shows and stuff I think), and weeks went by without contact. We had a great phone connection initially, and I wish I'd kept it up, but those weeks turned into months. I do have thoughts of sending her some pic's and a letter telling her how loved Heidi is, and what an impact she has had on our lives.

I dont see why you cant do that. She might not care but who knows, it might at least bring a smile to her face to know a dog she bred has brought so much joy. She might have bred so many litters and become jaded by now but at least YOU can be a good owner, the kind that caring breeders would hope the sell their puppies to.

I sent Kibahs breeder a photo of her on her 10th birthday. I haven't heard back from him but some people are just like that. I think the previous year I said something along the lines of I just wanted you to know how loved she is, and he wrote back and said of course! I know she is. He's just happy to know she's in a good home, he doesn't need to keep hearing about it I suppose, even though I want to keep telling him. :rofl:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm close friends with the breeder of my two girls, she is a lovely, supportive person. She lived in the same town as me until last year but now lives a couple of hours away and I miss her. :rofl: I miss calling in after work for a wine and lots of doggy chat. However, we still catch up regularly at shows and I've visited her at her new place a number of times.

Edited by Ellie

I wish I was in contact with my breeder, but now I feel like if I was to ring, she'd wonder who the heck I was! She was very busy once I brought Heidi home (with shows and stuff I think), and weeks went by without contact. We had a great phone connection initially, and I wish I'd kept it up, but those weeks turned into months. I do have thoughts of sending her some pic's and a letter telling her how loved Heidi is, and what an impact she has had on our lives.

I dont see why you cant do that. She might not care but who knows, it might at least bring a smile to her face to know a dog she bred has brought so much joy. She might have bred so many litters and become jaded by now but at least YOU can be a good owner, the kind that caring breeders would hope the sell their puppies to.

I sent Kibahs breeder a photo of her on her 10th birthday. I haven't heard back from him but some people are just like that. I think the previous year I said something along the lines of I just wanted you to know how loved she is, and he wrote back and said of course! I know she is. He's just happy to know she's in a good home, he doesn't need to keep hearing about it I suppose, even though I want to keep telling him. :rofl:

Yes, I think I might send an email with pic's. Hope she replies, but I won't keep my fingers crossed... just hope she see's how well Heidi is and how much joy she brings.

I have just purchased my first puppy from a breeder (all my others are rescues) and we have stayed in touch via email and facebook.

She's lovely, only a very small kennell.

We will go and visit sometime when Katie is bigger to say 'hello'

She's over the other side of Melbourne so a fair trip, but it's nice to keep in touch and she is keen to see Katie when she's a little bigger.

I found her very genuine and caring. :rofl:

I am happy to keep in touch with any of my puppy buyers, without being "pushy". Rcently I had an enquiry from some people who had met someone who had a Standard Poodle they got from me & obviously had kept my email addres & passed it on. I wasn't able to help them, but did steer them towards another breeder.

I am also, off and on, in contact with the breeder from whom my ex & I got our first Standard Poodle, nearly 30 years ago! We subsequently got another 3 Poodles from her.