Toys For The Stronger Chewer Home Alone

I am struggling to find toys to keep my 8mth old Viz entertained who is a very strong chewer. He had some Leo's and various soft treat balls and the like but he chewed them. He chews anything and everything we give him is destroyed in a day. The ONLY toy he hasn't yet killed and still goes crazy over is his kong.

He will eat his bones, but when he is penned there is only so long they will keep him occupied as he gets bored because he doesn't have to "compete" with the other dog. Bottles with stuff in them don't last more than half an hour with this one. Soft toys get gutted in 5 minutes and rope toys aren't of any interest....

He had an awesome hard rubber ball that was his favourite until he buried it and I now can't find it :cheer: OH is getting fed up with me spending so much money on toys so I want to find him things that will last. They need to be suitable for him to play with when we aren't home, as he is penned for about 4-5hrs a day whilst we work and that is when he gets really bored. He can't even have a bed in his pen at the moment or that gets shredded. He gets walked once if not twice a day and trained every day as well. He used to spend the whole time sleeping when we were out but he's finally out of that phase so I really need to try and keep him entertained. He is still a bit of a destructo when we aren't home, so he has to stay in his pen(which is MASSIVE, it's almost like a room in its own really) so things that need to be suspended from the roof aren't possible for us. OH's work hours will be changing soon so he will be left for longer but no more than 6hrs, which is unfortunately unavoidable. He trashes everything if we leave him outside of his pen even while we step out to go to the shops, so that is not an option at this stage. It's only been the past few weeks he started really chewing through toys!

He will shred toilet rolls and things like that too, but they aren't going to keep him occupied for more than 5 mins. I hate leaving him at home as it is, so I really want to make it fun for him. I am hanging for the day when he can just have free rein and will just curl up and sleep.

Are there things I can maybe make for him? Hit me with your ideas people :cheer:

My 10mth GSD pup is also a great chewer so I went to our local bike store and asked for old bike tyres (the ten-speed variety). They were only too happy to give them to me for nothing and they really last. Skye has great fun dragging them around too which assists with pruning the garden plants :) so she is now limited to her own area with them!

Bundy's Mum, I can't help but I can sympathise..

My almost 9 month old Viz, Spencer has in the past month destoyed an outdoor umbrella, a lemon tree and the power cord to the hot water system..

His latest toy is some old plastic garden pots, and he seems to love throwing them around and they havent been eaten.. yet :)

He also has an old piece of sheepskin that he wont destroy - just likes carrying it around in his mouth :)

My mum also suggested tieing empty milk containers to the fence so he can jump up and play with them - might be a thought if you can secure them somewhere in his penned area?

Good Luck!

I am struggling to find toys to keep my 8mth old Viz entertained who is a very strong chewer. He had some Leo's and various soft treat balls and the like but he chewed them. He chews anything and everything we give him is destroyed in a day. The ONLY toy he hasn't yet killed and still goes crazy over is his kong.

He will eat his bones, but when he is penned there is only so long they will keep him occupied as he gets bored because he doesn't have to "compete" with the other dog. Bottles with stuff in them don't last more than half an hour with this one. Soft toys get gutted in 5 minutes and rope toys aren't of any interest....

He had an awesome hard rubber ball that was his favourite until he buried it and I now can't find it :) OH is getting fed up with me spending so much money on toys so I want to find him things that will last. They need to be suitable for him to play with when we aren't home, as he is penned for about 4-5hrs a day whilst we work and that is when he gets really bored. He can't even have a bed in his pen at the moment or that gets shredded. He gets walked once if not twice a day and trained every day as well. He used to spend the whole time sleeping when we were out but he's finally out of that phase so I really need to try and keep him entertained. He is still a bit of a destructo when we aren't home, so he has to stay in his pen(which is MASSIVE, it's almost like a room in its own really) so things that need to be suspended from the roof aren't possible for us. OH's work hours will be changing soon so he will be left for longer but no more than 6hrs, which is unfortunately unavoidable. He trashes everything if we leave him outside of his pen even while we step out to go to the shops, so that is not an option at this stage. It's only been the past few weeks he started really chewing through toys!

He will shred toilet rolls and things like that too, but they aren't going to keep him occupied for more than 5 mins. I hate leaving him at home as it is, so I really want to make it fun for him. I am hanging for the day when he can just have free rein and will just curl up and sleep.

Are there things I can maybe make for him? Hit me with your ideas people :(

I have an old go-kart tyre for my guys - they love it and it's as tough as....they've done their absolute best to destroy it for the last 12 months without any success......

when we first got Dezzy every toy I got him he destroyed in seconds.....we came across a toy called a Cuz toy....it is a ball with legs and has a squeaker....it drives u insane sometimes but he got the Cuz toy in November and still has it today.....still in one piece....he plays with it every day and when we got our second dog Jessie she also got a Cuz toy and she too plays with them every day and hers has still survived....even with them both getting one mouth around the ball and the other one on the feet and they pull and it is still whole.....you can also get good cuz and bad cuz and i think a duck and dinosaur...they are a bit pricy at $18.00 but in the long run is a good buy

Dezzy, he has a Cuz but he HATES it.. for some reason he doesn't like the texture. If I give it to him he'll hold it for a second and spit it out :( It's been in the toybox a while, I might bring it back out and see if he's changed his mind.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I will give some of the suggestions a go :)

he doesn't 'have' to be occupied all day . He also needs to learn to relax/sleep when left alone :) When he's bored with his bone/kong- then he can just sleep.... When you are home ,I am sure he gets plenty to do :(

Pers he does, otherwise he chews through the matting in his pen and scratches at the floorboards, that is why i need things that he isn't likely to kill in a day, this is all recent stuff so thats why I think he needs more to do. Putting him outside is not an option, he is a very cold dog and would be frozen solid by the time I got home if he was outside, and he'd probably sit at the back door ALL day and scream.

otherwise he chews through the matting in his pen and scratches at the floorboards,

Oh- apologies- I thought he was in an outdoor pen . Bother :( I can understand your frustration.

what about treatball things - set to 'genius' :) Not chewing, but thinking and moving......

Why not have a browse HERE?