What Dried Biscuit Are You Feeding Your Pooch?

Hey Guys,

Some of you may have seen my post about my gremlin needing to go on a prescription diet due to an infection in his bladder.

After getting lots of help on here and everyone telling me to keep researching I did just that.

Oscar has been prescribed Hills Prescription C/D Diet which for 4.5kgs is $72, I've been told he needs to be on this for life. So after doing my research it turns out this biscuits hasn't been designed for long term use it is only meant to be used for weeks - months and if used for too long can actually be more bad then good.

Turns out the biscuit is designed to make your dog more thirsty, therefore drink more water which dissolves the crystals in the bladder. Very smart technology.

So with this learnt I am wondering what everyone is feeing their dogs in terms of dry food as it's the dry biscuit that can actually give your loved dog or cat Sturvite crystal in the first place for getting too much protein and feeding cheaper brands of biscuits.

I will keep him on a premium brand of biscuit but wondering if anyone can recommend anything?

I was thinking maybe a sensitive biscuit but not sure what brand would be best.

Thank you in advanced. :p

Edited by Sunnyflower

There are plenty of options in the field.

Google & you will gain a wealth of knowledge .There are many breeds predisposed to suffering in this area & we own one of them.they can be hit by the 3 varieties .

Royal Canin also do a dry for urinary issues but ,not sure on the long term use there.

I now the idea of hills at first is to break down the issue & then you need to seek a food with urine PH breakdown level.

Many have done home cooked using various foods with great success,adding water to there meals

Edited by showdog

Emmy is eating Advance Puppy Plus bikkies. Although, she is mostly on a raw diet.

Charlie eats Emmy's biscuits, but he is mostly just eating raw food.

Oscar is predominately on a raw diet but he does need biscuits to supplement as he isn't a big eater.

I do feel as though my dog needs a good dry biscuit anyways as it supplements the minerals that the meat and veggies can't offer him.

Edited by Sunnyflower

What sorts of crystals is Oscar getting in his bladder?

You might want to post for advice in the Dalmation thread SF.. Dally's are prone to these issues and you'll probably get lots of good information.

Poodlefan it's Sturvite/Struvite? Crystals.

Thank you I will just do that. :)

All my dogs get fed 50% raw & 50% Eagle pack holistic select dry food.

They all seem to be going very good on this diet. ;)

One of the other girls on here said her old boy used to have the same problem and he too is a fussy eat. He hadn't had them for a while and she put him on Eagle pack and he was loving it but the blood has come back again so I shall see what the outcome is for her.

Is Eagle pack dry food?

You might want to post for advice in the Dalmation thread SF.. Dally's are prone to these issues and you'll probably get lots of good information.

A quick google says that Struvite Crystals are generally linked to bladder infections and that eradicating the infection should fix the problem.

Has the vet indicated that the issue is more than this?

A quick google says that Struvite Crystals are generally linked to bladder infections and that eradicating the infection should fix the problem.

Has the vet indicated that the issue is more than this?

No she hasn't, she said that his problem has happened due to diet.

He has been on his anti-biotics since Wednesday and he has come to a bouncy little jelly bean. I got pretty upset that I didn't even notice a change in him. It wasn't really major but the sparkle in his eye has come back. His urine is clearing up and I'm keeping a log of it because I think this vet thinks I'm a push over.

Poodlefan do you feel I should put him on a sensitive biscuit or do you think any premium brand of biscuit will suffice?

Poodlefan do you feel I should put him on a sensitive biscuit or do you think any premium brand of biscuit will suffice?

I think this depends entirely on WHY the crystals are forming in his urine. You may need to talk to your vet about this.

If they are not related to bladder infection then you need to know what aspect of his diet is causing it so you can avoid this. For some dogs and some forms of crystals its excessive protein that is the culprit but you need a clear understanding of the cause of the problem so that you can consider a solution.

Most "sensitive" diets cater to dogs with common allergies. This is not the issue that Oscar faces.

Some premium biscuits have high (and in some cases very high) levels of protein. What you need to know specifically from your vet is:

1. What is the cause of the crystals forming in Oscar's urine. "Diet" needs to be clarified into "what element of the diet".

2. What needs to be changed in the diet to prevent reoccurence. Don't be fobbed off with "feed brand x dog biscuits". You need more info than that.

ETA: Just googled Hills C/D canine. This is what the food involves:

Reduced levels of protein, magnesium and phosphorus to help limit the building blocks of crystals and bladder stones

Low sodium to maintain normal blood pressure

Added antioxidants to control cell oxidation and promote a healthy immune system

So the vet has prescribed a diet with reduced levels of protein (ideally you should get a maximum percentage - the Hill C/D is 23%) and some minerals, low sodium and more antioxidents. This doesn't sound like a diet designed to increase thirst to me. :)

It may be that a "senior" diet (traditionally lower in protein) might be suitable but you need to discuss this with your vet. Here is one that might be suitable.

Edited by poodlefan

I think this depends entirely on WHY the crystals are forming in his urine. You may need to talk to your vet about this.

If they are not related to bladder infection then you need to know what aspect of his diet is causing it so you can avoid this. For some dogs and some forms of crystals its excessive protein that is the culprit but you need a clear understanding of the cause of the problem so that you can consider a solution.

Most "sensitive" diets cater to dogs with common allergies. This is not the issue that Oscar faces.

Some premium biscuits have high (and in some cases very high) levels of protein. What you need to know specifically from your vet is:

1. What is the cause of the crystals forming in Oscar's urine. "Diet" needs to be clarified into "what element of the diet".

2. What needs to be changed in the diet to prevent reoccurence. Don't be fobbed off with "feed brand x dog biscuits". You need more info than that.

ETA: Just googled Hills C/D canine. This is what the food involves:

Reduced levels of protein, magnesium and phosphorus to help limit the building blocks of crystals and bladder stones

Low sodium to maintain normal blood pressure

Added antioxidants to control cell oxidation and promote a healthy immune system

So the vet has prescribed a diet with reduced levels of protein (ideally you should get a maximum percentage - the Hill C/D is 23%) and some minerals, low sodium and more antioxidents. This doesn't sound like a diet designed to increase thirst to me. :)

It may be that a "senior" diet (traditionally lower in protein) might be suitable but you need to discuss this with your vet. Here is one that might be suitable.

Thank you for the link poodlefan but it didn't work! ;)

I will definitely ask the vet all these questions, thank you. I'm in the process of learning all this stuff, before this Mum looked after all vet stuff and I always tuned out in the hope they were ok!

I will try and find the website I was on that said it increased thirst. I should have saved it.

This is all very confusing. It's like everything is contradicting one another. However I will persist and I will get it right.

Thank you for the link poodlefan but it didn't work! :)

Take Two

Thank you it worked that time.

That definitely could be a better alternative.

So for now I need to get all my questions answered.

Do you mind poodlefan if I email you once I have found out all the details? You know lots about this stuff!

My Sammie boy has had infections before resulting in crystals, poor love, but his wasn't due to diet thankfully because the monster is a fussy eater :)

I have him on Nutro Lamb and its been great.

My Sammie boy has had infections before resulting in crystals, poor love, but his wasn't due to diet thankfully because the monster is a fussy eater ;)

Hmmm Never heard of Nutro Lamb, shall look into it.

The vet is being so vague and quite hard to get info out of. I think I need to assert the situation. :)

Do you mind poodlefan if I email you once I have found out all the details? You know lots about this stuff!

Actually I know bugger all.. I like to ask questions to find out more and I'm a good Googler.. :)

The process of getting the information is what I know. Ask lots of questions of your vet. Get specific information on what's causing the problem and all potential solutions. Then research yourself so that you're happy with the course of action you agree with your vet. You get better service and your dog profits when you become an informed client rather than just taking what they say as gospel.

I'd still like to know what tests the vet performed to conclude that the problem was only diet, not infection.

Edited by poodlefan

All my dogs get fed 50% raw & 50% Eagle pack holistic select dry food.

They all seem to be going very good on this diet. ;)

One of the other girls on here said her old boy used to have the same problem and he too is a fussy eat. He hadn't had them for a while and she put him on Eagle pack and he was loving it but the blood has come back again so I shall see what the outcome is for her.

Is Eagle pack dry food?

yes Eagle pack is a dry food, although you can get it in a can food aswell (although my dogs don't particularly like the canned food.)

My Sammie boy has had infections before resulting in crystals, poor love, but his wasn't due to diet thankfully because the monster is a fussy eater ;)

Hmmm Never heard of Nutro Lamb, shall look into it.

The vet is being so vague and quite hard to get info out of. I think I need to assert the situation. :)

Here's a link to their web site

http://www.nutro.com.au/

:heart:

Is Eagle pack dry food?

Just for the record I think I said in the other thread my older boy Cooper is only 4 so definatley not old! :)

Eagle pack is a dry food one of the premium brands cost around $30 for 3 kilos

I initially changed Cooper to eagle pack as all of mine are on a meat & veg, raw bone, neck wing etc diet with small amount of dry food (supercoat) which suits fine only that Cooper is not so much fussy just doesn't seem to have an appetite hardly at all and getting him to eat is tough.

He was only really eating the supercoat and I was not keen on him having that as his only food source, hence the change to eagle pack as a total diet for him, he does also eat chicken wings necks and raw meaty bones as well.

So when his problem first started the vet did tests ultra sound etc but there was never a firm diagnosis to what the problem was the vet said he thought the most obvious was crystals and to monitor him to see how he goes, which I did and after the initial bout of blood for a few days all was good until about 2 months later he had the blood back it lasted for about 3 days and that was it. fast forward to a couple of weeks ago the blood started again. This came one month after I decided to change his diet to the eagle pack.

My first initial thought was maybe the change in diet cause the crystals to come back?? I spoke to the vet and he said it was possibly a coincidence and could be nothing to do with diet. He also said to cut back on protien intake? But all the stuff I have read and on other advice it seems that a dog with crystals should have more protien and less grains. The vet also said he would be reluctant to put him on a perscription diet unless they had a positive diagnosis and then the crystal would have to be tested to see what type it was as the diets for different crystals are different. The vet said to me if I see another clot of blood to get it and bring it in as they will test it and see if the crystals are present.

My theory....Cooper only eating a lot of grain based food and not a lot else, this is how he developed the crystals in the first place? I do feel the change of diet has maybe not caused the crystals but flaired up what ever is going on in there? I don't know how to explain it but it is a worry for sure. My solution for the time being is now I have cut back his eagle pack intake and mixed in half supercoat supplementing also with chicken wings or necks and he still has a couple of bones a week.

I haven't seen any sign on blood for 8 days and I watch him and check him constantly so I can see whats going on. The blood is very noticable on him due to him being so light in color. I also spoke to the lady (Lexie) from the place that makes the Eagle pack and she was very helpful advising me on which she thought was the best food for CJ but as she said at the end of the day the vet is best to advise. This is hard however without a proper diagnosis. So for the tiem being we will just cruise along and monitor him and hope it doesn't reappear.

SF, from what you have said I think your vet maybe hasty in saying you have to put Oscar on this perscribed diet for the rest of his life, I mean what was it $70 for 3 kilos who the heck can afford that as an ongoing cost. Have you got a positive diagnosis if it is crystals and if so what type they are?? Did you think about getting a second opinion?? Sorry If you have answered these last two questions, I haven't read every post.