Ruby's Getting Good (update)

So proud of my girl this morning. My partner and I were milking this morning, I went to lock in a row and saw Ruby bringing in the second little herd of lame or treated cows. She normaly brings them in with me. Only one thing Ill have to teach her to open gates, I will be setting the gates up tonight just in case :thumbsup:

YE HA!!! Shes is getting them everytime now, What a time saver for me, Im so proud of her.

Edited by kelpiekaye

This is not a dig, I just want to understand because I'm fascinated in working dogs working.

Is it a good thing that she is making those decisions on her own? I know it is the order you do things in, but do you want her going off to do the job without being asked?

This is not a dig, I just want to understand because I'm fascinated in working dogs working.

Is it a good thing that she is making those decisions on her own? I know it is the order you do things in, but do you want her going off to do the job without being asked?

I understand what you are saying. Normaly when I go and get the blue mob I fill up some buckets for calf milk on my way through the vat room. That day I went out earlier than normal and got the milk and then went back milking. Ruby mustve taken that as a signal.

You are right though you probably wouldnt want them going off and bringing cows that you dont want. However dairy farming is so routine a smart dog can work it out for themselves mostly. I have no experience training working dogs but Ruby through her own choice has shown a lot of potential. She is what my partner says is a handy dog. She is only a year old and from show breeding. Shes pretty keen on agility too and doing well.

I understand what you are saying. Normaly when I go and get the blue mob I fill up some buckets for calf milk on my way through the vat room. That day I went out earlier than normal and got the milk and then went back milking. Ruby mustve taken that as a signal.

You are right though you probably wouldnt want them going off and bringing cows that you dont want. However dairy farming is so routine a smart dog can work it out for themselves mostly. I have no experience training working dogs but Ruby through her own choice has shown a lot of potential. She is what my partner says is a handy dog. She is only a year old and from show breeding. Shes pretty keen on agility too and doing well.

:laugh: Clever puppy. It is awesome to see them thinking for themselves. Can see why you were pleased. It is one of the only regrets I have with my two - I just can't/don't make the time to work them on stock of any sort.

:rofl: Clever puppy. It is awesome to see them thinking for themselves. Can see why you were pleased. It is one of the only regrets I have with my two - I just can't/don't make the time to work them on stock of any sort.

Im lucky that my job is one that Ruby can get involved in. My last Kelpie never worked stock and when we had the oportunity she didnt want to. Ruby is always looking at me and asking a question, tilts her head and thinks for herself and works things out. Im very lucky to have her. :rofl: