Training Clubs In Brisbane

4pups

My niece has moved up to Queensland with her 4 month old Border Collie - Lorna she's looking to join a training school for basic obedience and possibly Dog Sports if the pup works out for that.

She's currently living on Tambourine Mountain and is moving to around Springfield Lake area. She is willing to travel though, and would prefer weekend classes.

She has NO experience with dog training and I don't want her to be turned off.

My niece has moved up to Queensland with her 4 month old Border Collie - Lorna she's looking to join a training school for basic obedience and possibly Dog Sports if the pup works out for that.

She's currently living on Tambourine Mountain and is moving to around Springfield Lake area. She is willing to travel though, and would prefer weekend classes.

When she moves to Springfield Lakes she will be quite close to Agility Dog Club of Queensland at Tivoli/Ipswich. They do basic obedience classes from 16 weeks and then the puppies can move into agility from there. (All age appropriate of course.)

The Obedience is not formal ring type obedience, it is more focussed on building a relationship as the foundation for agility.

Cheers

Tony

When she moves to Springfield Lakes she will be quite close to Agility Dog Club of Queensland at Tivoli/Ipswich. They do basic obedience classes from 16 weeks and then the puppies can move into agility from there. (All age appropriate of course.)

The Obedience is not formal ring type obedience, it is more focussed on building a relationship as the foundation for agility.

Cheers

Tony

I am looking at joining up there, Tony. Have your experiences been good with them? I heard a check chain is required, so I was a little hesitant, but have now bought one. I was hoping for positive reinforcement as the training method, but as they are close to me, I will attend there and see what it's like.

A friend of OH has been involved as a trainer at Tivoli/Ipswich, and also trains his own dogs there...he has long experience of Border Collies and still has them. :cry:

Cheers

Tony

I'm a member there - have been for 3 years. Check Chains are not allowed on the field, nor is any correction device. My experiences have all been good - but I have to say that, I instruct there. :(

I would not say purely positive, but harsh handling is not allowed and the focus is on building a relationship, not forcing a dog to do something. ie: you will never see anyone pull a dog through a tunnel or force them onto a dog walk.

Cheers

Tony

I'm a member there - have been for 3 years. Check Chains are not allowed on the field, nor is any correction device. My experiences have all been good - but I have to say that, I instruct there. :rofl:

I would not say purely positive, but harsh handling is not allowed and the focus is on building a relationship, not forcing a dog to do something. ie: you will never see anyone pull a dog through a tunnel or force them onto a dog walk.

Cheers

Tony

Excellent, thanks Tony. Looks like I was misinformed re the check chain. I feel much better now. I better get my finger out and make the call re joining. I may even pop along the next time it's on, to watch a class in action.