Is This A Puppy Farm?

hehehe one of the first things I did when we took over our clinic was to go through the computer system and remove all the designer dog names and replace them with what they really are. Not sure how impressed the clients are when their reminders etc say Poodle X Lab but meh, not my problem!

:) All of us at our clinic won't use the drop down menu options if its a oodle thing !!

all three of us will type in the oodle X floodle, :rofl:

It really annoys me that all the major practice software has the designer dog names on the dropdown menus :cry:

fifi

That's bloody wrong :cry: and much of the cause for people to think the breedings are legitimate breeds which only serves to encourage the puppy farmers to breed and charge rediculous prices for them. The only way to stop them IMHO is a law to prevent dog breeding unless licenced which accomodates only pure breed dogs.

but BB, we have to cater for the consumer remember

Absolutely :laugh:, The lack of catering for the consumer in pure breeds is what drives them to the oodle and BYB farmers. :rofl:

My comment was referring to your post about how 'bloody wrong' it is that vets cater for the clients by calling their dogs what the owner believes it to be.

So do we cater for them or not? Or only when it suits?

Edited by stormie

I refuse to call them a DD. I refer to them as MM's, "Megabuck Mongrels" :)

A friend of mine has a poodle/schnauzer cross and that's what I call her and not the ridiculous MM name. It upsets her owner who thinks that she comes from a very good breeder, and won't hear of it as a puppy farm. Anyone who breeds rottweiler/poodle X's must be mad :laugh:

I refuse to call them a DD. I refer to them as MM's, "Megabuck Mongrels" :)

A friend of mine has a poodle/schnauzer cross and that's what I call her and not the ridiculous MM name. It upsets her owner who thinks that she comes from a very good breeder, and won't hear of it as a puppy farm. Anyone who breeds rottweiler/poodle X's must be mad :laugh:

Not mad, unfortunately, just catering to the demand which they have created. I would love to see our State organizations actively promoting pure breeds - they say they do but it obvously is not working!

Edited by poodlemum

hehehe one of the first things I did when we took over our clinic was to go through the computer system and remove all the designer dog names and replace them with what they really are. Not sure how impressed the clients are when their reminders etc say Poodle X Lab but meh, not my problem!

:rofl: All of us at our clinic won't use the drop down menu options if its a oodle thing !!

all three of us will type in the oodle X floodle, :cry:

It really annoys me that all the major practice software has the designer dog names on the dropdown menus :rofl:

fifi

That's bloody wrong :rofl: and much of the cause for people to think the breedings are legitimate breeds which only serves to encourage the puppy farmers to breed and charge rediculous prices for them. The only way to stop them IMHO is a law to prevent dog breeding unless licenced which accomodates only pure breed dogs.

but BB, we have to cater for the consumer remember

Absolutely :laugh:, The lack of catering for the consumer in pure breeds is what drives them to the oodle and BYB farmers. :happydance2:

My comment was referring to your post about how 'bloody wrong' it is that vets cater for the clients by calling their dogs what the owner believes it to be.

So do we cater for them or not? Or only when it suits?

We tried that with a friends GR cross GSD once and they wouldn't recognise a Golden Shepherd and said it was a cross breed :cry: Shouldn't the same apply with an oodle :) Seriously though, doesn't the ANKC have a procedure for registering a breed???. If the breed isn't recognised as a ligitimate breed, it's a cross breed

Edited by Black Bronson

Its funny you should post this as i was just talking to someone today who purchased a puppy from somewhere who desex, microchip and vaccinate before rehoming, offer a 3 year health guarantee and pups are raised in the house for the first 6 weeks, amongst other things. I have met about 30 puppies from this place- all of whom have been nice dogs with reponsible owners. This raises ethical dilemmas for me- are they a puppy farm? Are there dogs of theirs ending up in shelters etc? So many questions! :bottom:

I'm the same Cosmolo. I groom quite a few dogs from the same place. They were all raised indoors, owners were given detailed information about ongoing grooming commitments and costs, dogs are all delightful. The 'breeder' is still always on hand to these clients for questions. It starts to get tricky once the DD breeders lift their game.

Edited by Clyde

Its funny you should post this as i was just talking to someone today who purchased a puppy from somewhere who desex, microchip and vaccinate before rehoming, offer a 3 year health guarantee and pups are raised in the house for the first 6 weeks, amongst other things. I have met about 30 puppies from this place- all of whom have been nice dogs with reponsible owners. This raises ethical dilemmas for me- are they a puppy farm? Are there dogs of theirs ending up in shelters etc? So many questions! :bottom:

I'm the same Cosmolo. I groom quite a few dogs from the same place. They were all raised indoors, owners were given detailed information about ongoing grooming commitments and costs, dogs are all delightful. The 'breeder' is still always on hand to these clients for questions. It starts to get tricky once the DD breeders lift their game.

Are we saying this place isn't so bad :rofl:

Can someone pm me the place please.