Very Sad Story...

Oscar has just gone into the vet for his yearly vac and vet check tonight. We were waiting and the front counter to pay etc, when a man came in with a whippet in his arms. The man was really red in the face and asked for a specific person at the vet (who was not there). He said that he had just come home to about $10000 worth of damage to his house; the dog had ripped up the carpet and chewed through doors. He said that these behaviour problems were a huge issue all the time and he couldn’t do it anymore. He had seen behaviourists etc and nothing changed, the dog is apparently scared of weather like lightning. He clearly loved the dog dearly, the dog was in good health, had a coat on to keep warm etc.

He essentially told the vet that he wasn’t going home with the dog, either it had to get rehomed or is PTS. He said how hard it is to rehome a dog with these issues. The man was clearly upset about this, and OH and I were trying to not be nosy but clearly in shock. We left feeling extremely sad and worried for the dog. If we were in the position for another dog we would have offered, however we just aren’t. It was terrible leaving and I could never imagine doing such a thing with my own dog, it broke my heart just hearing that he was contemplating this.

Is there like a Whippet SA Recue I can pass info onto the vet for this man? I didn’t and still don’t know what to do.

The guy should try the breeder he got the whippet from, he should also try any whippet breeder.

And he should also try crating the dog when he's not home. It's not cruel. And if it saves the whippet and protects his house it would be worth it.

If the whippet is a particularily nasty dog aggressive whippet named Monty - he's on his own. But the dog would need rehoming because problem is mostly caused (rewarded) by the owners.

We've had client dogs who are utterly storm/noise terrified or shockingly separation anxious, in some cases - behaviour modification / training, drugs, crates ect have had no effect and the dog was euthed. We have also had dogs that were re-homed for this issue become someone elses living nightmare.

Sadly sometimes no matter how hard you try - you just run out of options :-( I fully support people who are driven to this sad decision, and thank goodness they don't take the easy way out and simply dump the poor dog at the pound.

Until you have lived with this problem, it's hard to realise just what a prison it can become.

fifi

We've had client dogs who are utterly storm/noise terrified or shockingly separation anxious, in some cases - behaviour modification / training, drugs, crates ect have had no effect and the dog was euthed. We have also had dogs that were re-homed for this issue become someone elses living nightmare.

Sadly sometimes no matter how hard you try - you just run out of options :-( I fully support people who are driven to this sad decision, and thank goodness they don't take the easy way out and simply dump the poor dog at the pound.

Until you have lived with this problem, it's hard to realise just what a prison it can become.

fifi

:thumbsup: I totally agree! Rehoming a dog like this is really only passing the problem to someone else...it doesn't help the adopting owners and it certainly doesn't help the dog. Thought unbelievably sad, sometimes PTS is actually the best and kindest option.

The guy should try the breeder he got the whippet from, he should also try any whippet breeder.

And he should also try crating the dog when he's not home. It's not cruel. And if it saves the whippet and protects his house it would be worth it.

If the whippet is a particularily nasty dog aggressive whippet named Monty - he's on his own. But the dog would need rehoming because problem is mostly caused (rewarded) by the owners.

The problem isn't always caused by owners rewarding behavious, some dogs are just hard wired with anxiety ect.

And sadly, crating isn't always a solution either, I have seen dogs with horrific injuries caused by panic behaviour in their crate.

The very sad reality is that some dogs with these issues are better off PTS.

fifi

edited to add; I have rescued a very large dog with 'issues' and after having our shed, verandah and laundry virtually demolished - even when he was valiumed to the eyeballs, is a real eye opener for those who think they can take on these dogs & alter their behaviour quickly.

Edited by fifi

Totally agree Fifi, the damage to the house is one thing, but I have seen some terrible emergency situations when the dog does terrible harm to itself.

Sad for all concerned.

Edited by Crisovar

I couldn't imagine doing it to one of my dogs, but I understand when all avenues are exhausted and and the owner cannot live with or handle the behaviourial problem - however if it was me in the position there is no way I could have just dumped the dog at the vet without knowing what happened to it... I would have been there for it when it was PTS.

Edited by huski

I couldn't imagine doing it to one of my dogs, but I understand when all avenues are exhausted and and the owner cannot live with or handle the behaviourial problem - however if it was me in the position there is no way I could have just dumped the dog at the vet without knowing what happened to it... I would have been there for it when it was PTS.

Totally agree, I would want to hold the dog & say my goodbyes.

Had to do this with a rescue wolfhound, she self harmed horrifically and despite trying everything, in the end there was no choice :thumbsup:

fifi

Me too :thumbsup: But then not everyone would make the effort to take their dog to the vet. If the owner didn't care he could have dumped/shot/otherwise disposed of the dog. At least he had the decency to take it to the vets where it will be either cared for or humanely PTS. Still a sad situation for all.

Some owners believe that they have failed somehow and that another person can fix the dog, hence the giving the vet the option to rehome.

I couldn't do it myself but can understand why some do.

Wonder if the dog has ever had a FULL blood work-up. Yes - being anxious can have genetic links, but sometimes anxiety is caused or exacerbated by medically based issues. Would be worth checking first. Wouldn't it be great if an underlying cause/contributor could be found (eg. thyroid) and then treated, the owner notified and re-united with a possibly vastly improved dog! It would be such a happy ending.

ETA: Hate to tell a Vet how to suck eggs, but if this was mentioned to the Vet, I'd be strongly suggesting the thyroid bloods be done via Dr Jean Dodds in the USA. Our Aussie thyroid test isn't going to pick up abnormalties in this respect until it is in its advanced stages (which is also when typical clinical signs become apparent), and it could be in early onset, even though behaviour is affected. Many Vets don't realise that. I am given to understand it is not in their Uni learning literature.

Edited by Erny

The problem isn't always caused by owners rewarding behavious, some dogs are just hard wired with anxiety ect.

And sadly, crating isn't always a solution either, I have seen dogs with horrific injuries caused by panic behaviour in their crate.

The very sad reality is that some dogs with these issues are better off PTS.

Yes its true, but before condemning the dog to death, it would me nice to know the full situation first. NASO - Here is a link to the Victorian Whippet Association and South Australian Whippet Club, who do rescues. They can at least assess the dog, talk to its owners and get the full story first. Some dogs just do better in a different environment.

Vic Whippet Assoc

SA Whippet Club

Pass that info onto the vet (if the dog is still alive), hopefully the poor whippet is rehomable :thumbsup:

ETA: Hmmm my linky thing didnt work, but the web address is there! :o

Edited by Whipitgood

Wonder if the dog has ever had a FULL blood work-up. Yes - being anxious can have genetic links, but sometimes anxiety is caused or exacerbated by medically based issues. Would be worth checking first. Wouldn't it be great if an underlying cause/contributor could be found (eg. thyroid) and then treated, the owner notified and re-united with a possibly vastly improved dog! It would be such a happy ending.

Absolutley, a full health check & bloods should be one of the first ports of call.

fifi

Don't know about the dog in question in this thread, but too many people seem to take the easy option with a "problem" dog.

I was talking to a guy on a job site last week and he had his dobe PTS because the family didn't have time for it and also he claims

the dog was so big and clumsy it was accidently knocking over his kids. I don't know how a vet can PTS a dog just because the owner

can't look after it. IHe also claimed it was too difficult to walk the dog and didn't respond to any training.

I've worked with this guy on and off for a good few years now, but i've lost a bit of respect for him.

Edited by RottyLover01

Don't know about the dog in question in this thread, but too many people seem to take the easy option with a "problem" dog.

I was talking to a guy on a job site last week and he had his dobe PTS because the family didn't have time for it and also he claims

the dog was so big and clumsy it was accidently knocking over his kids. I don't know how a vet can PTS a dog just because the owner

can't look after it. IHe also claimed it was too difficult to walk the dog and didn't respond to any training.

I've worked with this guy on and off for a good few years now, but i've lost a bit of respect for him.

That is very sad and sounds very much like owner neglect from the bit you know.

But we are talking about extreme behaviours as a reason to pts. and if the owner has done everything they can in conjuction with their vet, trainer ect. then I would never condemn for pts in that situation.

Until you've lived it, its difficult to imagine how immobilising that life can be.

fifi

Apart from the fact that we don't know what this person has gone through, don't be too harsh on him and judge him on the basis of the actions of others. I feel the guy's pain (if my imagination of what he might have tried is anywhere near correct). The OP mentions the guy telling the Vet he's engaged the services of a behaviourist. Who knows what he has tried or for how long. His financial situation and the 000's of $$$ in home damage the dog has cost him I can well imagine could be devastating. Not to mention that his emotions may well be extending in sympathy for the dog - it's obviously not a happy 'place' that the dog is in either, to be SO anxious and presumably every day (if the owner works) and so severely. I'm making a lot of assumption here, but only because benefit of the doubt on the guy's behalf I think is warranted. From what is written, it wasn't an easy decision on his part. I'm not suggesting the dog should be pts - I can't and won't because there's not enough historical information. I'm just saying that I can empathise with the owner's emotional state and the possibility that he simply feels at a loss for anything else.

But I would hate to know this dog crossed the rainbowbridge without the benefit of at least the blood work, including the full blood panel test for thyroid which can only be done OS. And it's quite possible and likely that the owner doesn't even know that behaviour can be affected by neurological issues, some which might be reasonably cost effectively and easily remedied and/or managed. I would have liked to think that a Vet would talk someone through these things, but some Vets don't even realise it themselves.

ETA: I think if I had been at the Vet's I wouldn't be able to help myself but to speak with at least the Vet and stick my tuppence worth in. I don't necessarily win friends that way, but I'd hate an irreversible decision being made in what could be possible innocent ignorance. "Dog's voice" and all that.

Edited by Erny

That is very sad and sounds very much like owner neglect from the bit you know.

But we are talking about extreme behaviours as a reason to pts. and if the owner has done everything they can in conjuction with their vet, trainer ect. then I would never condemn for pts in that situation.

Until you've lived it, its difficult to imagine how immobilising that life can be.

fifi

About 95% of people told me to have my dog PTS a couple years ago. That was never an option. I couldn't live with myself if i did that and that would be taking the easy

option.

I don't know if my dog was an extreme case. I don't think so. Just the result from having a moron owner before i got him.

I guess you can't compare dogs. Every case is different and has different solutions.

There's nothing "easy" about spending thousands on behaviour modification that doesn't work and repairing damage your dog has done to your house in a panic and deciding to have it PTS as a last resort. Anxiety disorders in dogs are very complex and in some cases so ingrained that you just can't do a great deal short of sedating the dog. At that point you have to ask yourself what's really best for the dog. And actually, it can be cruel to crate a dog that is so panicked they are ripping holes in doors and so forth.

I really feel for the family, but I wonder if they are making the right decision for the dog as much as themselves. What kind of life is it to be so distressed on a regular basis? I wouldn't want it for any animal under my care.

I can understand it, I have a chewer and the amount of damage he has cost me is amazing, I have also had a dog with Seperation Anxity (last Staffy) and it is heart breaking.

While I would also sit with my dog and be there, it can understand this persons choice.