18 Month Old Female Staffordshire Terrier Always Hungry

scolly

Hi...I have an 18 month old Staffy who weighs approx 11 kilos.She has two meals a day but never seems to be satisfied.She is obsessed with food.We have two Beagles who love their food and can sniff it a mile away;however, the Staffy is worse. Is this normal for the breed????? :rofl:

Are you talking about a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier??

I have Staffordshire Bull Terriers and yes I find they will eat endlessly and virtually anything. Single SBTs can sometimes become very fussy, but this isn't too common.

I assume she's been wormed? Is she active and shiny and well covered (ribs easily found, perhaps the back rib can be seen faintly). If so, she's fine and perhaps give her a huge bone to keep her occupied (roo tail or similar, personally I won't feed marrow or canon bones to Staffords)

Mine are garbage disposal units and would eat anything and everything if I let them. I try and feed them foods that take some time to eat, we feed raw and things like carcass, roo tail, lamb flap etc. There's plenty of chewing involved and also stripping meat from bone.

some dogs are just gutses. I have a whippet who will bolt his food and eat as much as he possibly can. Even as a tiny puppy he was a greedy guts. When the time came to assess the litter he was just a big fat smooth shapeless blob.

You will probably always have to be careful not to overfeed your puppy because she will tell you she is constantly on the verge of starvation.

I should probably say here that I have VERY occasionally had the rare Stafford who is a guts as a puppy but who decides at adolescence that they would simply rather not eat for a while.....right at the point where they start to sprout legs and wings and need it the most so look revolting and half-starved. BUT, it never lasts long! :D

Are you talking about a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier??

I have Staffordshire Bull Terriers and yes I find they will eat endlessly and virtually anything. Single SBTs can sometimes become very fussy, but this isn't too common.

I assume she's been wormed? Is she active and shiny and well covered (ribs easily found, perhaps the back rib can be seen faintly). If so, she's fine and perhaps give her a huge bone to keep her occupied (roo tail or similar, personally I won't feed marrow or canon bones to Staffords)

out of curiousity, why wouldn't you give an SBT marrow bones? or is it for any other dog as well?

out of curiousity, why wouldn't you give an SBT marrow bones? or is it for any other dog as well?

Personally, I'd say most dogs. They are way too hard and can cause so much damage to teeth.

Hi...thanks for your feedback.I'll have to accept the fact that she is a food machine worse than beagles!!!!!!!!! I thought it may have something to do with the fact she was a stray for a short while before she ended up in Blacktown pound.We brought her home 6 months ago and we have all fallen in love with her. :laugh: The only time she has shown her teeth to the beagles is over food.It's scary!!

She is a staffordshire bull terrier.Yes she has been wormed and is very active, shiny and now well covered since we brought her home from the pound six months ago.She was very skinny and we are not sure if she has had a litter. I thought maybe it had something to do with her being a stray for a while.