Book Recommendations?

I'd like to learn more about Schutzhund. Can anyone recommend some good books?

I'm more interested in the what and why as opposed to the 'how to'. Anything that covers training in drive in a bit of depth might be handy too.

I'm currently looking at these three but not sure what would be the most appropriate..

HUTZHUND OBEDIENCE - TRAINING IN DRIVE

by Gottfried Dildei & Sheila Booth

SCHUTZHUND - THEORY & TRAINING METHODS

by Susan Barwig & Stewart Hilliard

ADVANCED SCHUTZHUND

by Karen Duet & Ivan Balabanov

eta, sorry the first title is supposed to be Schutzhund Obedience. Dodgy cut and paste job on my part!

Edited by SecretKei

The second one on your list is an excellent book. I would recommend it.

Sorry i have not read the others.

Just clicked on your link and i have already found another book i must have! :)

Edited by arawnhaus

Thanks guys. I might gety the Gottfried Dildei book for now and the other two at a later date :laugh:

Has anyone read the Ivan Balabanov book? I've heard/read good things about the DVD's so was thinking the book might be worth a read too (and a little cheaper!).

Has anyone read the Ivan Balabanov book? I've heard/read good things about the DVD's so was thinking the book might be worth a read too (and a little cheaper!).

I have both the Barwig and the Balabanov books and love them both. The Balabanov one builds on the Barwig one and actually states that it is prerequisite

reading

eta Do you have a Kindle or iPhone? You can get the Balabanov one as an ebook from Amazon and it is a lot cheaper and you don't have to pay shipping and you can get it instantly. You can also download the first chapter or two for free to preview. If you don't have a kindle or iPhone you can download the ebook to your computer using the Kindle for PC software from Amazon.

Edited by Kynan

I have both the Barwig and the Balabanov books and love them both. The Balabanov one builds on the Barwig one and actually states that it is prerequisite

reading

Which Barwig book is that? Is it the "Schutzhund Theory and Training Methods" by Susan Barwig?

Edited by Erny

reading

Which Barwig book is that? Is it the "Schutzhund Theory and Training Methods" by Susan Barwig?

Yes, by Barwig and Hilliard

Thank you for the reponses.

Well I have bought the Gottfried Dildei & Sheila Booth book through Dogwise (couldn't find this one anywhere in Australia!) and I think I'll follow it up with both the others over the coming months. Looking forward to some very interesting reading :laugh: