Eye Contact

Ok well what I do, once I have built up a few seconds of solid eye contact, is wave the food around in a distracting manner and reward only for them maintaining my eye contact instead of following the food around. Once I've marked the behaviour and/or released them and give them the food I don't really care if they look at it.

With my 8 week old puppy I started teaching focus and heel position by - when she was sitting me stepping next to her so she was in heel position, and waiting for her to look up to see what I was doing, I then clicked and treated.

I would repeat the click and treat several times before stepping away. I did this multiple times a day for 10-15 seconds each time. In a really short period of time I was able to step next to her and she would automatically look up and I could gradually extend the time out before clicking and then treating.

It worked a treat and I will do it again with my next baby. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm....don't like luring much. I am more inclined to shape a good eye contact. If you are quick and consistent with your clicker/marker and reward in position you will have your dog offering you eye contact. If you really want to you can name it at this stage but I never do.

Soo does anyone have any advice?

:thumbsup: Did you see Bedazzled's earlier post about putting the food in your hand, holding your hands out and rewarding when the dog makes eye contact with you? That's what I did and I find it useful because it teaches the dog to look to you for the food.

I agree with Huski, some people at my club also hold the food by their faces so that encourages the dog to look up....

Hmmmm....don't like luring much. I am more inclined to shape a good eye contact. If you are quick and consistent with your clicker/marker and reward in position you will have your dog offering you eye contact. If you really want to you can name it at this stage but I never do.

I agree - I am not a big fan of luring the food up to my face. I want the dog to choose to look to me as IMO it builds better eye contact as the dog knows the key to getting the food is solid eye contact.

Righton Huski :thumbsup:

I agree - I am not a big fan of luring the food up to my face. I want the dog to choose to look to me as IMO it builds better eye contact as the dog knows the key to getting the food is solid eye contact.