At The Pet Store Today

giraffez

You know what the most effective and cheapest treat pouch for training is?

Your pocket :laugh:

eek. Not when you have slimey meat. :)

Trust me, you get used to it. I had chicken necks (yes, raw) in my pocket today. The idea is you don't use your good pants for this, have a special pair of training shorts/trackies for the job, or a vest with pockets :laugh:

RS - I use a lot of soft/wet treats, not really suitable for pockets. Well I guess you could use them, but blarggghhhh, might be smelly later. :)

All mine are wet, slimey treats. I use mainly 4Legs/Chunkers, or chicken necks. Training pants need washing often, cos yes they do get smelley! :laugh:

You know what the most effective and cheapest treat pouch for training is?

Your pocket :rofl:

Not so easy when you wear jeans, especially when you dont like the residue treats leave behind, give me my blackdog pouch anyday

I have a pair of shorts, trackies and jeans that are used for training, and gross stuff goes in there :laugh: I guess it just depends what level of training you are aiming for, because if you aim to trial then you need to phase out the treat pouch. But if you aren't, then you won't be interested in gross things in your pocket which is fair enough :rofl:

I rarely buy pet specific products anymore.

A few days ago I went into Chickenfeed (discount store) and they had single bed quilts for $15.

I snapped up one of those for my puppy, it's the perfect size for his crate when folded in half, and then in half again, and REALLY thick and warm!.... A bed like that in a pet store would easily be $60.

It pays to shop around and often the "non-pet" version will be a LOT cheaper.

Edited by Shaar

I use the regular Black dog pouch and I have used them for around ten years. I am on my second one, but only beacuse I left some treats in there(was before the socks) and it was that bad it all went in the bin. I have thrown out one sock for the same reason - you would think I would learn!

I fill my treat pouch up, then take a bag with more if I am doing a class.

I have training pants that are usually a dark colour and they are bought specifically for sticking slimey treats in. I do draw the line at raw chicken necks though - thank god I don't have to use those for training! Yuk.

I got sick of buying dog beds that would squash flat so I got a single bed foam mattress, cut out the size I wanted, made a polar fleece cover for it - all done. The cover comes off to wash.

I have made polar fleece beds with stuffing, but the Whippets de-stuff them and I can't be bothered making more just to have them de-stuff and chewed up.

My foam bed was and old mattress and I used old polar fleece cot blankets to make the cover, very cheap.

Not so easy when you wear jeans, especially when you dont like the residue treats leave behind, give me my blackdog pouch anyday

Not so! They give you instant popularity

I had a pocket of liver treats to train with, doled out half of them, threw the pants in the drawer, and wore them to a playgroup the next weekend.

The second I came within 15 metres of them, all the dog's heads and ears perked up, they ran over to me and wagged tails all around my legs, weaved in and out, jumped up and licked my hands, and when I sat down they rushed me, kissing my clothes and skin.

I had no idea what was happening, I just thought I was loved. Then someone told me I STANK of dried liver. The remaining shards had perfumed my entire drawer, so everything I was wearing smelled like I'd taken a bath in dried liver.

ooops heavy paws that is funny. i have wrecked a few treat pouches but thats life they are only cheap ones :thumbsup: glad i just read about fasing out treat bags ruby star i hope to title my new puppy so that is good to know :thumbsup: iforgot at puppy preschool today to take my treat pouch i had chicken and eggs balls they went in my jumper pockets lol