Boarding + Behaviour Modification

-Yoshi-

Hi guys,

Just a question is boarding a good idea for a shy fearful puppy that's 7months old,

I have found a place that offers boarding + training for behaviour.

I'm going for surgery and will be unable to really work with the puppy as much as I can.

Will sending the dog for boarding be a bad idea and stress the dog even more??

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Hi guys,

Just a question is boarding a good idea for a shy fearful puppy that's 7months old,

I have found a place that offers boarding + training for behaviour.

I'm going for surgery and will be unable to really work with the puppy as much as I can.

Will sending the dog for boarding be a bad idea and stress the dog even more??

Any advice will be much appreciated.

you would want to ask lots of questions on how they boarded the dog, ie conditions and what training methods they used. you might also like to write down a list of things you want trained and ask them specific questions about how they would teach this to the dog.

you would have to carry on with the training method when you got home so you will need to be comfortable with what they do.

Thanks for the reply, yes I've got a list of of questions I will ask them.

I'm just unsure if it's a good idea.

I have found a site they have. I think I will PM you since I think it could be advertising if I post it.

Could be misleading you never really know these days.

I do as much training as I can, but due to being unable to walk as much for long periods it has really made things a little difficult.

Hi Yashi

The short answer to your question is that "it depends on the dog". Naturally you need to be confident about the person who will be working with your dog and also with the kennel management and staff who will be interacting with your dog in the day to day care of your dog.

In some of the consults I have done, or at training classes we run, I've been asked the same question as you have asked. To some people my answer is that I think the kennel stay is going to be too overwhelming for the dog. For some others, the kennel stay (and the training) can help some dogs move on, upwards and past their fears/shyness, and help to increase confidence. But I can only assess that if I've seen the dog.

It depends on the extremes of anxiety. For anyone to be able to give you a proper idea, we'd be needing to meet with your dog. Some of the ones I have done, we've started with an introductory "day care" stay. It's given us and the kennels a chance to see how the dog settled over that day and an idea of how well the dog would cope with a longer stay.

Edited by Erny

Thanks for the reply, yes I've got a list of of questions I will ask them.

I'm just unsure if it's a good idea.

I have found a site they have. I think I will PM you since I think it could be advertising if I post it.

Could be misleading you never really know these days.

I do as much training as I can, but due to being unable to walk as much for long periods it has really made things a little difficult.

maybe get a dog walker to walk the dog and do more problem solving training with your dog.

sits, stays, drops, waits, confidence building, ie running through tunnels and through hoops, a few tricks and that will tire your puppy out just as much as a walk.

i wouldn't board my puppy for training because i would be worried their personality might change, especially if they are a bit nervous to start with.

ETS i have no issues boarding my dog at a reputable kennel if i need to go where the dog cant. i just wouldnt have them train her.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Is the timidity worrying you the most? Is dog timid with other people or other dogs or both?

I would get a behaviouralist myself and work with them rather than send them away to improve that particular trait. You can do this after you've recovered or is the dog being boarded because you are having surgery?

Perhaps there is a behaviouralist that has them in their home?

Edited by dogmad

Thanks for the reply guys, I appreciate it.

Well I can say that the pup is timid, fearful of new people and animals in general. Given the time he will open up and be very happy.

I'm not sure if it's an extreme case, I think he's more unsure of himself than anything. Although certain people he hasn't met he will be fine with

I'm not sure if it's the energy they give off or the the pup seems to know they mean no harm.

I'd love to walk even run if i could but in my current situation I'll be unable to and having a service that offers a place to stay assuming it's has a nice condition for the dog and obedient training

is much help. I know that the problem doesn't lie with the dog it's the owner, I think not being able to take the pup out for as much walks as he wants has really slowed the progress.

Is the timidity worrying you the most? Is dog timid with other people or other dogs or both?

I would get a behaviouralist myself and work with them rather than send them away to improve that particular trait. You can do this after you've recovered or is the dog being boarded because you are having surgery?

Will be boarded due to surgery, He's timid to both people and animals and strangers really. I'm worried that if I don't tackle the situation as soon as possible it can lead to aggression and that is something I really don't

want. I've learned so much about dogs now that we have one and still many things too learn.

Will be boarded due to surgery, He's timid to both people and animals and strangers really. I'm worried that if I don't tackle the situation as soon as possible it can lead to aggression and that is something I really don't

want. I've learned so much about dogs now that we have one and still many things too learn.

yoshi you are thinking about all the right things. have another look at Erny's post and maybe think about taking your pup to the kennel for a day just to see how they go and about getting a behaviourist in to asses your puppy.

Is your dog a purebred? Perhaps the behaviour is typical of the breed? In my experience (I've had over 80 foster dogs in the last 5 years or so), timidity doesn't necessarily equate to either human or animal aggression.

If the dog is purebred, perhaps you could discuss with the breeder in case one of the parents or siblings showed similar behaviour.