Changing To A Raw Or More Natural Way Of Feeding

I was thinking of changing my boy over to a more natural way of eating to see if it helps his allergies at all, I am not sure what the best way to go about it is, do you go half meat half kibble for awhile or do you just bite the bullet and start feeding only raw? What I am looking at feeding him will be a variety of meats and some bones ( have to be careful as some bones make him sick) and then veges to go with that.

Would just like to hear others experiences :happydance2:

I really suggest that if you're going to raw for allergies, that you do a proper elimination style diet first. Trust me, I wasted time and money initially switching to raw without doing the diet first, all the time feeding him things like chicken and fish heads, only to work out later that he is allergic to chicken. So I'd chose a single, novel meat protein and feed just that if you can... I used horse as I could get both the muscle meat and brisket bones, so could feed a combination of the two.

When I switched to purely raw, I just did a straight swap. Orbit was getting very regular bones and meat though so it wasn't like it was a complete change to his system.

I really suggest that if you're going to raw for allergies, that you do a proper elimination style diet first. Trust me, I wasted time and money initially switching to raw without doing the diet first, all the time feeding him things like chicken and fish heads, only to work out later that he is allergic to chicken. So I'd chose a single, novel meat protein and feed just that if you can... I used horse as I could get both the muscle meat and brisket bones, so could feed a combination of the two.

When I switched to purely raw, I just did a straight swap. Orbit was getting very regular bones and meat though so it wasn't like it was a complete change to his system.

I am thinking of trying him on some meats he has never had before, I have sent a hair analysis off that tests for food allergies ( I know a lot of people dont believe it works but I will try anything at this stage) . With my dogs allergy he may be allergic to food on top of a contact allergy but to me I think its more of a contact thing, there are 2 places where if i take him he scratches immediately and his face swells around his eyes. I am trying Hills ZD with him at the moment but it is not agreeing with his stomach at all! If he is allergic to any foods at all I wont be surprised if its chicken...

I would suggest Clare Middle's (vet) book on Natural Raw Diet. We changed our dog over (cold turkey) and find that as well as being cheaper than commercial, she is much healthier. It also cleared up her skin condition and general health. It takes in everything from vitamins to how/what a dog eats/needs (in contrast to humans). It is very insightful. This vet might also be able to help your dog re allergies if you arrange a visit (she is in Bibra Lake Perth WA).

Hey MM ( :D ).......... I feed a mixture of commercial and raw. Wandy (kelpie) could probably survive entirely quite well on raw alone, but as Zola has "issues" they get about 50/50. Wandy has chicken wings or necks for breakfast while Zola has kibble and Natures gift (both lamb based). For dinner they have lamb mince or meat, kibble and veges. They also get tinned salmon a couple of times a week. At this point in time Zola refuses to eat bones :laugh: , so she gets a 4x2 bikkie usually after her brekkie.

For me complete raw/natural is just tooooo difficult at the moment. But Im pretty happy with what I feed. And they both look extremely healthy - no skin issues or anything.

Rat

I would suggest Clare Middle's (vet) book on Natural Raw Diet. We changed our dog over (cold turkey) and find that as well as being cheaper than commercial, she is much healthier. It also cleared up her skin condition and general health. It takes in everything from vitamins to how/what a dog eats/needs (in contrast to humans). It is very insightful. This vet might also be able to help your dog re allergies if you arrange a visit (she is in Bibra Lake Perth WA).

Thanks I will look into getting the book, I am going to see another vet who uses more natural methods etc so I am sure she will also have some pointers in regard to diet :laugh:

Hey MM ( :D ).......... I feed a mixture of commercial and raw. Wandy (kelpie) could probably survive entirely quite well on raw alone, but as Zola has "issues" they get about 50/50. Wandy has chicken wings or necks for breakfast while Zola has kibble and Natures gift (both lamb based). For dinner they have lamb mince or meat, kibble and veges. They also get tinned salmon a couple of times a week. At this point in time Zola refuses to eat bones :laugh: , so she gets a 4x2 bikkie usually after her brekkie.

For me complete raw/natural is just tooooo difficult at the moment. But Im pretty happy with what I feed. And they both look extremely healthy - no skin issues or anything.

Rat

Thanks for the info Rat, just wanting to know do your dogs fart a lot on lamb or is this just my dog???

Labrat

Have you noticed if feeding chicken wings every day makes Wandy constipated? My dog gets a chicken wing once a week (tried the necks but she swallowed them whole!) but if I feed her more she has trouble.

Mas,

We also feed her lamb but have no problems with farting. That may be helped because she loves an apple every day (if she can) and has lots of raw vegies as a treat. We have a frenzy freezing session of dog food and freeze it in those little plastic Glad (cheap) containers. The lamb is bought chopped (arranged via butcher) and vegies are frozen so it doesn't take much time. Just the thought of it beforehand is the pain. She also has an egg occasionally and yoghurt along with her fish oil.

We have had visitors who have looked into the fridge and looked at her dinner and can't quite believe it's for a dog it looks so good!! Haha....the things we do!

Labrat

Have you noticed if feeding chicken wings every day makes Wandy constipated? My dog gets a chicken wing once a week (tried the necks but she swallowed them whole!) but if I feed her more she has trouble.

Mas,

We also feed her lamb but have no problems with farting. That may be helped because she loves an apple every day (if she can) and has lots of raw vegies as a treat. We have a frenzy freezing session of dog food and freeze it in those little plastic Glad (cheap) containers. The lamb is bought chopped (arranged via butcher) and vegies are frozen so it doesn't take much time. Just the thought of it beforehand is the pain. She also has an egg occasionally and yoghurt along with her fish oil.

We have had visitors who have looked into the fridge and looked at her dinner and can't quite believe it's for a dog it looks so good!! Haha....the things we do!

I thought apples were bad for dogs. Let me know if I am wrong here as my girls love them but I wont let them have any.

I thought apples were bad for dogs. Let me know if I am wrong here as my girls love them but I wont let them have any.

No, apple pips apparently have cynanide in them so they shouldn't eat a lot of apple pips, but I often give a chopped apple to my boy and have done for a few years now, he's as healthy as a Malley Bull!

No, apple pips apparently have cynanide in them so they shouldn't eat a lot of apple pips, but I often give a chopped apple to my boy and have done for a few years now, he's as healthy as a Malley Bull!

I know quite a few people who give their dogs apple, I often chop it up and put it in his Kong...

Hi BigDaz

As far as I know, it is the apple pips that are the problem (for anyone - human/animal). They contain cyanide. So it's a matter of coring the apple first. Apples are a good source of dietary fibre and vitamin C as well as low in saturated fat and sodium. They also contain omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which contribute to a healthy, glossy coat and help to control skin allergies.

On the down side most of the calories in apples come from naturally occurring sugar, not processed sugar that might be found in other treats it’s true. Still, sugar is sugar, so it can contribute to weight gain in large quantities and possible kidney problems....hence my relunctance to give them to her at her request. I guess it's a case of "a little bit of everything" is okay.

I'd be interested to hear what other people thought.

I was thinking of changing my boy over to a more natural way of eating to see if it helps his allergies at all, I am not sure what the best way to go about it is, do you go half meat half kibble for awhile or do you just bite the bullet and start feeding only raw? What I am looking at feeding him will be a variety of meats and some bones ( have to be careful as some bones make him sick) and then veges to go with that.

Would just like to hear others experiences :rofl:

A very good idea to make the switch and prepare your own dog food! This is IMO the only way to know what you are feeding. As for any food changes, do it gradually. Adding a bit raw to his normal food for a few days, then increase the amount of raw and reduce the amount of his usual food until you can feed him completely raw (or maybe cooked).

Remember that all veggies need to be pulped, the digestive system of a dog cannot break open the cells otherwise.

Regarding allergies, what else has been done, when did they start, is there a time of the day or year when it is worse, what are the symptoms?

If he was my dog, I would NOT start with chicken, better choose another meat protein to start with.

Cheers,

Dagmar

Would just like to hear others experiences :)

A very good idea to make the switch and prepare your own dog food! This is IMO the only way to know what you are feeding. As for any food changes, do it gradually. Adding a bit raw to his normal food for a few days, then increase the amount of raw and reduce the amount of his usual food until you can feed him completely raw (or maybe cooked).

Remember that all veggies need to be pulped, the digestive system of a dog cannot break open the cells otherwise.

Regarding allergies, what else has been done, when did they start, is there a time of the day or year when it is worse, what are the symptoms?

If he was my dog, I would NOT start with chicken, better choose another meat protein to start with.

Cheers,

Dagmar

Yeah I dont like feeding him much chicken, as a pup chicken necks made his tummy run and he threw up loads so I try stick to beef and roo, roo bones seem to really agree with him, he has never been sick on them. Lamb makes him fart heaps :p

With his allergies they are worse morning and evening and at certain parks/places you can seem them starting, the area around his eyes will swell a bit and he will scratch and lick his body. Change of seasons are the worst time for his allergies and if its raining he hardly scratches at all! When I took him to the vet he got shampoo's, conditioners, anti-histamines and cortisone, I am giving him the anti-histamine only at the moment. I add fish oil to his diet, around 4 or 5 caps a day. He was on Braur Hayfever relief instead of the anti-histamine but they did not stop him scratching.

Would just like to hear others experiences :(

Cheers,

Dagmar

Yeah I dont like feeding him much chicken, as a pup chicken necks made his tummy run and he threw up loads so I try stick to beef and roo, roo bones seem to really agree with him, he has never been sick on them. Lamb makes him fart heaps :D

With his allergies they are worse morning and evening and at certain parks/places you can seem them starting, the area around his eyes will swell a bit and he will scratch and lick his body. Change of seasons are the worst time for his allergies and if its raining he hardly scratches at all! When I took him to the vet he got shampoo's, conditioners, anti-histamines and cortisone, I am giving him the anti-histamine only at the moment. I add fish oil to his diet, around 4 or 5 caps a day. He was on Braur Hayfever relief instead of the anti-histamine but they did not stop him scratching.

I assume you checked him for fleas? I have to ask as they are the main cause for allergies.

Personally I am not a friend of anti-histamines and cortisone. Was that Allergy Relief from Brauer?

Good that he gets fish oil. Is he allergic to dairy, do you know?

The reason I was a bit uneasy with chicken is that chicken is according to TCM a warming food and it seems your dog is suffering from a heat condition, so you want to give him cooling or neutral food.

Good that he is doing well on roo, definitely free range and a very lean meat. Can he have beef? Beef, beef liver (once a week), rabbit and sardines are neutral. Duck and pork (thoroughly cooked) are cooling animal proteins. Together with veggies like broccoli, spinach and/or carrots he should feel already a bit better soon.

Avoid foods like lamb, chicken and salmon as they also are warming foods and can cause flatulence in his case.

A good idea would probably, to add vitamin C + E to his diet as well as probiotics and digestive enzymes.

I am sure, he would benefit from acupressure. To clean all toxins out of his system I would detox him with a special combo of Australian Bush Flower Essences.

All the best!

Dagmar

Cheers,

Dagmar

Yeah I dont like feeding him much chicken, as a pup chicken necks made his tummy run and he threw up loads so I try stick to beef and roo, roo bones seem to really agree with him, he has never been sick on them. Lamb makes him fart heaps :D

I assume you checked him for fleas? I have to ask as they are the main cause for allergies.

Personally I am not a friend of anti-histamines and cortisone. Was that Allergy Relief from Brauer?

The reason I was a bit uneasy with chicken is that chicken is according to TCM a warming food and it seems your dog is suffering from a heat condition, so you want to give him cooling or neutral food.

Good that he is doing well on roo, definitely free range and a very lean meat. Can he have beef? Beef, beef liver (once a week), rabbit and sardines are neutral. Duck and pork (thoroughly cooked) are cooling animal proteins. Together with veggies like broccoli, spinach and/or carrots he should feel already a bit better soon.

Avoid foods like lamb, chicken and salmon as they also are warming foods and can cause flatulence in his case.

A good idea would probably, to add vitamin C + E to his diet as well as probiotics and digestive enzymes.

I am sure, he would benefit from acupressure. To clean all toxins out of his system I would detox him with a special combo of Australian Bush Flower Essences.

All the best!

Dagmar

Hi Dagmar, yes he has been thoroughly checked for flea's by the vet and by us, but I must say here in WA I have never ever seen a flea.

I hate giving my dog any drugs, I am not a fan of them at all, if I could get his itching and licking under control without the anti-histamines I would stop them for sure!

The Brauer tablets were the Hayfever relief, these are the ones I was told to get by the naturopath I saw awhile back.

I have the name of a vet who does acupuncture ( i know you mentioned acupressure) and I am going to try get him to her for some treatment. I could also ask the naturopaths at our local store for the Bush flower essences to detox him?

Edited to say that i am not sure if he is allergic to diary, I used to give him yoghurt and thats all the dairy he has had. He is also on probiotics and seems fine with beef.

Edited by Mas1981

Cheers,

Dagmar

All the best!

Dagmar

Hi Dagmar, yes he has been thoroughly checked for flea's by the vet and by us, but I must say here in WA I have never ever seen a flea.

I hate giving my dog any drugs, I am not a fan of them at all, if I could get his itching and licking under control without the anti-histamines I would stop them for sure!

The Brauer tablets were the Hayfever relief, these are the ones I was told to get by the naturopath I saw awhile back.

I have the name of a vet who does acupuncture ( i know you mentioned acupressure) and I am going to try get him to her for some treatment. I could also ask the naturopaths at our local store for the Bush flower essences to detox him?

Edited to say that i am not sure if he is allergic to diary, I used to give him yoghurt and thats all the dairy he has had. He is also on probiotics and seems fine with beef.

I am the same, I only use drugs, if absolutely necessary. I deal a lot with dogs and allergies with good results (and no anti-histamines).

Acupuncture is the same as acupressure, just with needles, the results are the same. Can the naturopath mix you a certain combo? You could try the Purifying Essence, but if that is detoxing too fast (can happen in some dogs and I did not do a full assessment for your dog) I would use a different mix.

If he is fine with yoghurt, he should not have an allergy to dairy. If he was my dog, I would also try the Budwig diet and see, if he gets better: http://animalconnection.com.au/index.php/t...udwig-diet.html

Please remember that it is quite often a combination of many things, which helps getting rid of allergies. E.g. supplements, vitamins, nutrition, filtered (!) water, emotional, stress-reduction, acupressure/acupuncture, Kinesiology, Australian Bush Flower Essences, etc.

Dagmar

Cheers,

Dagmar

All the best!

Dagmar

I am the same, I only use drugs, if absolutely necessary. I deal a lot with dogs and allergies with good results (and no anti-histamines).

Acupuncture is the same as acupressure, just with needles, the results are the same. Can the naturopath mix you a certain combo? You could try the Purifying Essence, but if that is detoxing too fast (can happen in some dogs and I did not do a full assessment for your dog) I would use a different mix.

If he is fine with yoghurt, he should not have an allergy to dairy. If he was my dog, I would also try the Budwig diet and see, if he gets better: http://animalconnection.com.au/index.php/t...udwig-diet.html

Please remember that it is quite often a combination of many things, which helps getting rid of allergies. E.g. supplements, vitamins, nutrition, filtered (!) water, emotional, stress-reduction, acupressure/acupuncture, Kinesiology, Australian Bush Flower Essences, etc.

Dagmar

Thanks Dagmar I actually was thinkinf of kinesiology too, my mum has it done and swears but it. Do you have the name of someone in WA who could help guide me with the Bushflower Essences?

Thanks for the info Rat, just wanting to know do your dogs fart a lot on lamb or is this just my dog???

Sorry for the delay in replies - have been away for a few days! Neither of our two have farting probs with lamb. When they were on roo however, that was a way different story! Ick!

Claire Middles book is excellent and Ive got a few good things from it, even though Im not a complete convert to raw :thumbsup: .....

Labrat

Mas,

Longdog - Havent noticed any constipation problems, and were on a pretty serious poo patrol in this household :laugh: .

We also get comments about the food our dogs get!!! About the "quality".....

All the best!

Dagmar

Dagmar - my vet has given Zola a few TCM blends for tummy upsets and rhinitis. She has also mentioned the warming and cooling foods. Do you have any links to good websites that have any general info on them?

She also recomended the digestive enzymes be pork based to be of any use!

Rat