Advice Please...

SparkyTansy

I have a friend who is looking for a puppy. A good while ago I managed to talk them into purchasing a puppy from a reputable, registered breeder...

After a bit of research into breeds, they are finally ready for a puppy. They have asked me for some advice as to whom some of the best people are to contact.

So, my question is, do breeders like it or hate it when people email/phone breeders on behalf of friends (for the initial research). I am just not 100% sure that my friends will ask all the right questions, and I want to help them narrow down the number of breeders to speak to (it's a fairly popular breed). I thought that maybe I could do the legwork for them, then refer them to the list of breeders that I have narrowed down for them to speak to directly.

So, is that annoying for breeders or not? (I plan to be honest and tell them that the puppy is for a friend and I am researching on their behalf).

I think I'd be ok about it - as long as you explained the situation first (which you've already said you will)

:rofl:

ETA: it might make some wonder though why they aren't capable of doing the ground work etc themselves though?

Edited by Aziah

Thanks Aziah - i thought of that... but the intention is there really just to help narrow down some breeders for them and then they can call them themselves and speak to them. I will see what they think, they might just want to contact them themselves anyway!

We dont like it.

We get people who do phone on behalf of **** & to be honest we simply say could you please get them to phone us & we normally ask why they arent phoning because like Aziah we wonder why & at this stage havent had a reason given that was really good.

Your friends will have to deal with the breeders during purchase so the more leg work they do now the more responsibility they must take & be involved & ask questions.

Perhaps you could write up a list of questions for them to ask the breeders? I would prefer to talk to the people themselves as well - I would be wondering if since they can't take the time to contact me personally, are they going to have time for a puppy?

Lovely that you want to help them. Perhaps you could arrange to visit a show with them and see some of the breed they are interested in there.

I agree with Showdog. I have to be honest and say my initial reaction to your approach on behalf of a friend would be sceptical and I probably wouldn't entertain any further communication. This is mostly because there is a history of dishonest dealings that have happened in the past in my chosen breed. ( people have purchased dogs from good kennels only for it to be a set up and the dogs are then in the hands of known byb's).

As Shelby has suggested help them write a list of great questions to ask. You could also help them construct an email as there first point of communication and send to a list of breeders, you could then help them sift through the replies and narrow down a short list.

Going by some replies your friends may begin to get a feel for the situation and start to come up with their own questions to ask a breeder. It could certainly help them if you had a list of questions ready to go if and when they have a shortlist of breeders to talk to over the phone.

I think it is great when people with no dog knowledge ask a breeder friend to help them find another breed. This is what the dog world should be about. I have done it for others and have had breeders ring me shopping around for friends. A breeder knows what questions to ask and can weed out the good breeders from the bad. If the puppy buyer calls direct they can be told all sorts of things by unscupulous breeders and not know if it is the truth or not.

Once you find some decent breeders then it is time to put the puppy buyer onto them. I have no idea why anyone would object unless they had something to hide.

I have no idea why anyone would object unless they had something to hide.

Couldnt the same be said about the reason a friend is doing the contacting ??

It works both ways.

There is nothing worse having a convo with the "friend" & then when the people call its the opposite they want or not what the friend said,have been there done that so often.

Or them saying when my friend phoned they said this/that & its wrong,it can often end up very confusing.

I have no issues if someone phoned & said a friend is looking for this breed & i have passed there name on but then again if i have no idea who the breeder friend is contacting me on there behalf then it really has no more baring on the outcome.

I would sooner have a nervous person contact where we can a feel for each other & can get that instant feeling .

Maybe suggest that the people attend a dog show so that they may wander around and see what breeds are available and chat to some of the dog owners. Let's face it, we all like to talk about our dogs except when we are busy getting ready to go into the ring. I always think it gives prospective puppy buyers a neutral area in which they can see who has the style of dog they like once they have decided what breeds they may be interested in.

Thanks for all your feedback :cheers: I have taken it all on board and went with the approach of giving my friends a bunch of contacts and a bunch of questions to ask, with as much advice as possible. i also just told them to be honest and tell the breeders they speak to that it is their first time buying a registered purebreed and that they have had some help from someone in regards to the questions they are asking...

I hope that they don't find it too daunting... I'll never forget the first time I spoke to a breeder - i was 18 :happydance2: and really nervous about talking to people I didn't know. I got through it all anyway and ended up with a great dog!

I actually think it is a good idea. I get people ringing up on behalf of someone else regularly with the dog rescue dogs - if I like what the friend has to say and they like what I have to say then the person actually interested in the dog will contact me. :happydance2:

I don't know if it is because I expect tyre kickers in rescue that it doesn't bother me as much, but it really doesn't. To me it is no different than me getting someone who knows about cars to help me find a good car - I don't know anything, don't know what to ask or look for so it makes sense to get someone who does to help me.

It also means that novice/naive people are less likely to get caught out by less than scrupilous breeders. :cheers:

I don't care for it. Too much can get lost when passing things along, and in my opinion, if the person isn't that dedicated to doing the 'hard yards' they aren't won't be dedicated to their new family member.

I've had many call me and do the talking, only to be told they won't get answers, get the person to call and chat themselves. Part of the talking is me sorting out the potential owner to see if they are suitable for one of my pups. I can't do that through a third party (insert won't)

Selecting a pup and a breeder is not like buying a car or new dishwasher where you can get facts and figures on reliability and safety (health and temperament)

Part of the process for a new buyer, is going through breeders, finding one that clicks and that they can trust to move to the next level. Only the individual is capable of that, not a third person.

think it is great when people with no dog knowledge ask a breeder friend to help them find another breed. This is what the dog world should be about. I have done it for others and have had breeders ring me shopping around for friends. A breeder knows what questions to ask and can weed out the good breeders from the bad. If the puppy buyer calls direct they can be told all sorts of things by unscupulous breeders and not know if it is the truth or not.

Once you find some decent breeders then it is time to put the puppy buyer onto them. I have no idea why anyone would object unless they had something to hide.

I agree, I would rather have someone else call on behalf than have the people looking for a pup be sucked in by an unethical breeder.

Leanne

I have had it happen before and there was no probs.

the lady who phoned was a showy looking for a pup

for a friend, the friend was 18 and from a non english

family. The buyers picked up the pup and they were

lovely. I still get emails from him telling me how the

pups is and how much they love him.

This is an interesting topic for myself as my bitch has a litter of 9 pups and this is our first ever litter. I have had great support from both breeders of my bitch and the sire which has helped me so very much.

Personally though and with the advice of my dogs breeders, I would prefer to speak to the potential buyer. All well and good if they want to have a knowledgable friend with them to help with asking questions, but like angelsun said,

Part of the talking is me sorting out the potential owner to see if they are suitable for one of my pups. I can't do that through a third party
:stupid:

I had a visit last week from a couple who brought along an experienced 'doggy' person to ask some of the questions that they wanted to ask. No problem with this happening. Today I had a brief email from someone looking for a pup for 'aunty', aside from saying they were in a hurry to replace her dead dog, there was nothing to make me think this would be a good home!

Wouldn't bother me at all if the person explained why they were enquiring. Some people just find it all too unnerving approaching breeders. Then they go to the pet shop. I expect the people would contact & visit after you did the groundwork for them. Then the breeder can decide if they are the right home for their puppy & form an opinion.

Sounds sensible if they can't do it themselves or haven't the confidence or know how.

Thanks for all your feedback :eek: I have taken it all on board and went with the approach of giving my friends a bunch of contacts and a bunch of questions to ask, with as much advice as possible. i also just told them to be honest and tell the breeders they speak to that it is their first time buying a registered purebreed and that they have had some help from someone in regards to the questions they are asking...

I hope that they don't find it too daunting... I'll never forget the first time I spoke to a breeder - i was 18 :( and really nervous about talking to people I didn't know. I got through it all anyway and ended up with a great dog!

Good Luck Sparky, best not scare them off too soon! ehy!

Hope they get what they are looking for and a nice breeder who can share their joy. :thumbsup:

Wouldn't bother me at all if the person explained why they were enquiring. Some people just find it all too unnerving approaching breeders. Then they go to the pet shop. I expect the people would contact & visit after you did the groundwork for them. Then the breeder can decide if they are the right home for their puppy & form an opinion.

Sounds sensible if they can't do it themselves or haven't the confidence or know how.

That is my thought. The more experienced person assesses whether the breeder is any good or not. The breeder then speaks to the person who wants to adopt the dog to assess whether the buyer is any good or not. I wouldn't expect a breeder to sell a pup to someone without assessing that person obviously.