Just Another Vent

MsKatie

Went to kids footy training last night - my 8 year old sees a young border collie - asks the owner id she can pat it - things are going well - happy puppy - happy child ;) - asks the owner the casual question - "Is she purebred?"

Yup - from a breeder in SA - $600 without papers - 1000 with - so she is unpapered

Still pretty happy with the conversation till another mum jumps in with "Even without papers - if you breed her you can still get your money back" :thumbsup: - then goes on to say that she intends to cross her French Mastiff X Bull Mastiff boy with a purbred Bull Mastiff because they have longer noses than the French Mastiff. And that this is OK because he is a Purebred French MAstiff x with a Purebred Bull mastiff - WTF :)

By this time I am trying to work out how to remove myself from the situation without saying something I will regret - so when the son comes over and says "Can I take the dog for a run" I take the opportunity to move away - Mum takes the collar off of the 18 week old BC pup and lets it run out onto the footy field with 9 year old son - unleashed - uncollared *sigh* ;)

And tonight my daughter says her school friend brought her puppies in that she is selling for $200 each - asked her what they are - her answer "Schnitzel crosses" :):laugh:

:laugh::) FFS!!!! What on earth is a Schnitzel ;) Other than a tasty crumbed piece of meat of course :) ;)

:thumbsup: at the mastiff conversation..... ;) Yep, coz the main aim is to "get money" out of whatever the hell you are doing ;)

Im going to stop there, before I say something I may regret later on in court ;) :) :p

Rat

Im going to stop there, before I say something I may regret later on in court

Bit like I felt - didn't want to go on a rant and alienate these mums

She was a lovely little BC girl too - fingers crossed they have her desexed - i will keep working gently on the owner when I see her

Our family "friends" are selling puppies they got from crossing their two god-only-knows-what staffies. One they got for $50 from a "proper breeder" in Diamond Creek, the second they got for free from a workmate because it had parvo.

They're starting their own "breeding lines" that they plan to call Boxing Kangaroo Staffies, which basically means "buy staffy female from Trading Post, get her pregnant, the puppies are now called Boxing Kangaroo lines".

All beautifully done from their backyard.

Don't bother explaining why it's not a good thing. I did, and the response was that science has proven diseases aren't passed down in dogs.

Science has neglected to tell you that intelligence isn't either.

Any idea from where KelpieHoundMum??? I know it was common practice to sell BC pups without papers but thought it had changed. Back when we bought Ness nearly 10 years ago only there was a practice that only BCs who were going to be shown were registered or if you knew to ask I guess.

The running unleash and uncollared wouldn't bother me. Kenz at that age hardly ever had a lead and collar on.

Edited by ness

She was from somewhere near Pt Augusta - didn't get a prefix though

I suppose with the running unleashed I was worried because there were a lot of people around and the grounds are next to an off leash park and I see lots of dogs walking through - she stayed pretty close to the kid though - thank goodness

No - I threw out the Wilderblu prefix as I knew that one was from SA - but she then said they didn't have any and she needed the pup for her sons birthday :thumbsup:

The pup had spots on her legs too - is this typical of a purebred black and white BC?

BYB methinks?

Spots on the legs can happen in any lines but it is disappointing if this puppy was sold by a registered breeder without papers.

The parents DNA status for three different conditions should have been supplies along with hip and elbow scores. The papers are then essential to ensure proof of who the parents are.

From next year the DNA testing will be mandatory in Borders and litters will not be registered unless the parents DNA status is known.

To pursuade the owner to desex this girl you could point out that if she breeds her and sells a puppy that dies from one of the diseases we test for she could be sued because they are known preventable diseases.

Still pretty happy with the conversation till another mum jumps in with "Even without papers - if you breed her you can still get your money back" :dancingelephant: -

I hate hearing that line but have found the most effective answer to it is "Oh, after all the heartache we went through to get our dog and seeing all the things that can go wrong I would never breed. I couldn't afford it!"

Which normally leads them them asking what and why and me sharing a few horror stories with them :rofl: (which are not neccessarily my personal experiences - I tend to embelish a little :rofl: to get the point across).

If they're not willing to listen I walk away.

And tonight my daughter says her school friend brought her puppies in that she is selling for $200 each - asked her what they are - her answer "Schnitzel crosses" :):happydance2:

:cooldance::champagne::birthday: Priceless! Hope they come with gravy :party:

Don't bother explaining why it's not a good thing. I did, and the response was that science has proven diseases aren't passed down in dogs.

Please dont let my husband know, I will never, ever be able to explain my bills for testing or why I have paid a small fortune for a dog, then transport, then testing, then desexing and then given it away to a pet home.

And tonight my daughter says her school friend brought her puppies in that she is selling for $200 each - asked her what they are - her answer "Schnitzel crosses" :rofl::rofl:

What were they crossed with? Pork Chops?