Stud Services

conztruct

Hi Guys,

I am restricted from the Breeders Directory but have a question for the breeders about how stud services are arranged and what the "done thing" is in relation to whether the bitch has pups.

I have been approached by some breeders to use my dog and we have agreed on a price but they have asked me what happens if their bitch doesn't have any pups??

I am travelling a considerable distance to provide my dog for them and have said that I am willing to provide a free return mating (with payment only of my costs to transport the dog up to them again) if their bitch doesn't fall pregnant.

What do other breeders do if the bitch doesn't fall? Do you refund the stud fee or part of it? I'm interested to know what the etiquette is here. My dog is a proven stud dog and has sired litters before.

What about half upfront and the remainder once the bitch is confirmed pregnant via ultrasound? You still have to sign the documents and supply certificates so the bitches owner can register the litter. So its not like they can do a runner...well you wouldn't think they would.

Edited by nickojoy

Hi Guys,

I am restricted from the Breeders Directory but have a question for the breeders about how stud services are arranged and what the "done thing" is in relation to whether the bitch has pups.

You can post there and reply on your own post, but you can't reply on other people's posts.... anywhoo

I have been approached by some breeders to use my dog and we have agreed on a price but they have asked me what happens if their bitch doesn't have any pups??

For some it is stud fee up front at time of service.

Others will withhold the paperwork and allow the bitch owner to pay when the bitch is confirmed pregnant

Others will have a sliding scale of stud fee, depending on how many puppies are born/how many puppies survive.

In any case where a fee is paid and no pups are actually conceived it's usually considered "the right thing" to allow a free return service for the same bitch OR for a different bitch owned by the same person.

Whatever you do, get everything in writing and don't sign any stud form until you have been paid.

I am travelling a considerable distance to provide my dog for them

How unusual - usually the bitch travels to the dog

My dog is a proven stud dog and has sired litters before.

Well what did you do on those occasions and why in this case does it need to be different? Were they to your own bitches?

Edited by Sandra777

What about half upfront and the remainder once the bitch is confirmed pregnant via ultrasound? You still have to sign the documents and supply certificates so the bitches owner can register the litter. So its not like they can do a runner...well you wouldn't think they would.

Thanks nickojoy....I'm really interested in considering all options and what normally happens because I haven't dealt with it before. I want to make sure I do the right thing by the breeder as much as I want to by me. I just didn't know what the expectation or ethical thing to do is - dangerous ground I know because everyone is different.......

Thanks nickojoy....I'm really interested in considering all options and what normally happens because I haven't dealt with it before. I want to make sure I do the right thing by the breeder as much as I want to by me. I just didn't know what the expectation or ethical thing to do is - dangerous ground I know because everyone is different.......

Listen to exactly what Sandra said, make sure you both sign some sort of aggreement and have a witness sign also.

Thanks for the info guys. I definately intend to have everything agreed in writing before anything happens.

I know it is unusual for the dog to travel to the bitch however, this breeder is a long long way from where I am and would have to incur disgracefully high transportation costs to send his bitch down to me. We worked out that meeting in the arranged location would be the best for both parties and to enable the mating to happen - I'm happy to work with them on this because I have friends and family at the agreed location that I can stay with.

The intention is for an AI to be performed by a vet.

My dog has been used at stud before successfully but I didn't do anything at the time because I didn't own him them - I bought him as an adult :thumbsup:

I am not doing any breeding myself at the moment because I really don't have the time to look after puppies and not sure I have any definite intentions to because my dogs are my pets mainly. This breeder sought me out because my dog has lines they want to use - dont' get me wrong, he's a nice dog but I've never actively gone out telling people they should use him - it's just because they came to me and asked. So naturally I'm pretty ignorant to how it all works and appreciate the information you've provided.

When my boys have visiting bitches they are usually owned by people that I know well, so the terms are that once the bitch has been proven in whelp that is when they pay the stud fee and I then forward to them the service certificate.

Should the bitch not get in whelp I offer a return service to that bitch only, or I refund half of the service fee, after all I have incurred expenses in housing the bitch for maybe ten days, as most come from interstate, also AI fees if necessary and of course my boys have been used.