Trading Post Discussion

~Shepherd~

TP  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Breeders, is TP advertising something you use now or will consider?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A
  2. 2. Buyers / General Public

• I wouldnt purchase reg. from the TP
    • I would purchase reg. from the TP
    • I think adverts in the TP look cheap
    • N/A

It's not elitist, it's the truth. The people that come to me and many others like me, so so because they want a pedigree animal. I've lost count of the number of people I have spoken to who have said " we want a registered dog this time" " or " we want a dog with papers".

That's because they KNOW the difference. Your post makes it sound like you live either in a very elitist world or a very insular world. You don't take into account the ignorance in the general population.

As Baily's Mum mentioned, the general public don't necessarily know about registered breeders or if they do, they don't know what difference that makes to a pup. Hell, I only have to talk to people I work with. I don't think more than one or two out of 50 odd people would know the difference between a BYB pup or a pup from a registered breeder. If they did, then there might be a greater chance of knocking off BYBs.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read our local and need a 'trade' builder or something, I only go to the Little emblem ads that say they are pare of some ethical governing body. Perhaps a reg. breeder symbol should be developed to go along side the ad like the MDBA one or something.

Wonder if the ANKC would be interested in developing something or the MDBA would allow their symbol used. People will get the drift sooner or later.

Edited by Chewbacca

There's no point in trying to knock off the BYBers, they aren't competition and there's a short supply of well bred pedigree dogs in the vast majority of ANKC breeds.

There must be a shortage of registered breeders of those breeds too then if that is the case.

Edited by Golden Rules

There's no point in trying to knock off the BYBers, they aren't competition and there's a short supply of well bred pedigree dogs in the vast majority of ANKC breeds.

Im sure the pounds and rescue would see the point in knocking them off, or reducing them at least. What breeds need more breeders? take a few under your wing and educate them in breeding?

Edited by Chewbacca

As a member of the public, with a breed in mind I would be looking at all of the newspaper ads to see where I could source a dog I wanted. I would check that the seller I chose was a registered breeder. Being new to an area can make it hard to know where to find breeders.

Im sure the pounds and rescue would see the point in knocking them off, or reducing them at least. What breeds need more breeders? take a few under your wing and educate them in breeding?

I would be gobsmacked if all registered breeders had this attitude.

My rescue group, for one, would love to see the BYB, PF, pet shops and unethical breeders knocked off. Basically you are saying that it's not up to you to try and knock these people off. Who is it up to then? Should it be left to rescue groups to fight this battle? Well if ethical registered breeders are not going to stick up for themselves and promote pedigree dogs and educate the public on why they should buy a pedigree dog and not a BYB, PF or pet shop dog then why should rescue groups continuously try to educate the public about ethical registered breeders? Next time someone rings up and asks me about puppies, we recieve at least 4 calls a week and the same amount of emails, I wont bother telling them about the differences between an ethical registered breeder and a PF/BYB/Pet Shop or who to contact about sourcing a puppy that comes from an ethical registered breeder.

Edited by puggy_puggy

I don't advertise in the TP - don't have a need to. However I would like to see more breeder advertising along side the byb.

We all know that a lot of people buy on the "NOW" - see it now - want it now. Not saying I agree with it but that is what happens.

If someone is in the market for a pet and can see the pups advertised by both a byb offering sweet F/A with pups who just don't look that good anyway with pups from registered breeders who are saying what they are offering along with their beautiful puppy - it has to make people think. Lets face it - people will start to ask Q's if they see reg pups the same price or more often than not, much cheaper than UNregistered pups from BYBers. I think it will make the byb reduce their prices if the registered breeder starts taking over their cheap public exposure that is in the Trading Post. By not advertising in it we are giving them the cheap exposure they are counting on.

Lets face it - many byb will proudly announce that their dogs are from champion bloodlines but no papers, this gives people a fast way to be educated on just what that means. Just because a dog has come from registered parents that does not make the pups registered unless they are from registered breeders. It might also expose those registered breeders who are selling puppies WITHOUT papers too.

If people are seeing what registered means and what pedigree papers are really all about then there will be less confusion on what a registered dog and puppies really are. How many times do we see people talking about their Xbred having "papers", they often think that "papers" are the vet vaccination certificate and a print out from the PC.

I have people come for grooming with all sorts of oodles and they are convinced they have papers, I will point to the bird cage and tell them to wait a minute and I will go print out some pedigree papers for them - it is that easy. Unless they are printed on the official registration paperwork from the registered club the animals are registered with it is only suitable to line their cage instead.

Edited by Andisa

Why would it?

It's simply another advertising medium - just like Petlink.

Registered breeders are able to distinguish themselves in their ads by stating they are registered, health test etc.

If anything its showing people that there are a number of options re where a puppy can be purchased from.

My thoughts exactly - I have used the TP. Overall, though, I have found DOL to be the best medium for selling puppies :thumbsup:

Try finding yourself a well bred Stafford puppy from and ethical breeder, there might be plenty of pups advertised but there really is a limited amount of quality pups available.

My rescue group, for one, would love to see the BYB, PF, pet shops and unethical breeders knocked off. Basically you are saying that it's not up to you to try and knock these people off. Who is it up to then? Should it be left to rescue groups to fight this battle? Well if ethical registered breeders are not going to stick up for themselves and promote pedigree dogs and educate the public on why they should buy a pedigree dog and not a BYB, PF or pet shop dog then why should rescue groups continuously try to educate the public about ethical registered breeders? Next time someone rings up and asks me about puppies, we recieve at least 4 calls a week and the same amount of emails, I wont bother telling them about the differences between an ethical registered breeder and a PF/BYB/Pet Shop or who to contact about sourcing a puppy that comes from an ethical registered breeder.

The breeders do stick up for themselves and they do promote their breeds and the enjoyment that goes along with owning a well bred, pedigree animal.

Ive just emailed the MDBA with this link to perhaps get things moving, or gain further advice. I know there is a lot going on atm, so when the time is right.

I'm going to start putting some ideas forward to the TP. Time to start being productive again I think. Anyone want to help me?

The breeders do stick up for themselves and they do promote their breeds and the enjoyment that goes along with owning a well bred, pedigree animal.

true, but many promote their dog amongst themselves. Whats the point in that?

Well Said.

true, but many promote their dog amongst themselves. Whats the point in that?

What does promote amongst ourselves mean ?

When I was looking for a very specific type of dog I had no idea where to start,and was unable to find what I wanted for years,literaly.When I found it,it was a cross bred.

Your average member of the public has never heard of DOL,does not subscribe to dog magazines. They are unaware of the resources.

Searching breeders on the net can be very time consuming and may be of little help if litters are unavailable.

my search brought me into contact with a lot of shonky establishments.

It would have been nice to be able to find reputable places as easily.

I think its about accessability and can't understand why that would not be a good thing.

I have advertised a litter in the TP and see nothing wrong with it.

It is up to the buyer to decide if they are happy with the breeder who's ad they are responding to,

as it is the breeders responsibility to thoroughly screen all interested procurers.

Advertising only in pure-bred advertising media restricts you to people who are already 'in the know'.

What about the Joe Publics who have decided that they want to do the right thing and buy a pure breed from a reputable/responsible breeder?

Where would they find you if they've not heard of the ANKC? Everyone has to start somewhere and its OUR responsibility as breeders to ensure they go to the best of homes. Only thing I find is that there are MORE people responding to the ads who do not meet my criteria than had I advertised elsewhere.

When I read our local and need a 'trade' builder or something, I only go to the Little emblem ads that say they are pare of some ethical governing body. Perhaps a reg. breeder symbol should be developed to go along side the ad like the MDBA one or something.

Wonder if the ANKC would be interested in developing something or the MDBA would allow their symbol used. People will get the drift sooner or later.

Our members are able to use our logo anywhere.

Our members are able to use our logo anywhere.

Excellent.