Breeders' Conditions When Selling A Puppy

Zug Zug

Totally agree with Ellz. I don't care who the breeder is. If I think a dog will suit one of my girls I will ask to use the dog. Not using a good dog because you don't like the owner is cutting off your own nose to spite your face. Breeder politics has no place in breeding good dogs IMO. All that kind of crap is to the detriment of the breed in the long run.

Yeah, but it happens and on one occassion my male was used being a litter brother of the dog they wanted because of who owned the desired dog. The two breeders wouldn't deal with each other through personal reasons and luckily my dog was on main register. The breeder no way would have upgraded to main if my dog was on limited to sire the other breeders litter. It was a nice litter and good for the breed about to be restricted by political issues which I think is crap :(

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Limited register on a good breed example shuts a door prematurely which should be left open as you never know how a dog may turn out.

Which is precisely why Limited Register CAN be raised to Main Register upon application by registered owner and breeder of record.

Not all breeders will raise a limited to main............seen some massive arguments over that before :(

Which means that the purchaser needs to do their homework prior to purchasing their puppy. ALWAYS before I sell a puppy on Limit (and ALL of my puppies go on limit with the exception of what I keep for myself these days), I discuss with a person at length what Limited Registration means to them and what it would mean in the future. A purchaser should ask the questions before taking the puppy and that would include what would happen if they wanted to upgrade.

In some cases, the breeder would be agreeable IF the reasons were right and the dog was of sufficient quality but I can understand why many wouldn't. The key point is though that communication BEFORE the purchase is essential.

And yes, I personally HAVE upgraded a dog from Main to Limit. Will I do it again. I don't know, that would depend upon future circumstances. I will not rule it out, but I won't say that I will either.

As a consumer, I am not interested in the breeders agenda, it's none of my business and the breeders role to me is someone having a puppy that's worthy of purchase in my eyes is all that matters to me. It's still a business transaction when money exchanges hands and breeder restrictions IMHO doesn't amount to particularly good deal. I don't buy a puppy to look after the breeders interests, it's in their interests to supply me and any other comsumer with a good dog. If it truns out a good dog, great I would support them totally, if it doesn't turn out, I will avoid those lines next time :)

Breeders may not want to sell their dogs to people that have no respect for their agenda.

You talk as though there is a large dog factory out there supplying all the breeders with stock.

You would do better if you saw the best bred dogs as being hand-crafted individually by an artist. Not everyone will get one, and your attitude almost guarantees that some breeders will never sell a dog to you.

Not all breeders just "sell dogs". Some breed for the improvement of the breed and that may mean that some breeders will not place dogs with people that have no respect for their breeding agenda. If they were only interested in retail sales they could put the puppies in the shop to sell.

Word gets around too. Your opinion has probably been noted by many. :(

I don't buy dogs from breeders who's agendas vary from what I am looking for, there is no point for me to make such a purchase and no point for the breeder selling to me either.

This thread is just going around in circles. I don't agree with 'over the top' conditions being placed on the sale of a puppy, but then everyone will have a different idea of where the line is drawn between 'over the top' and 'reasonable'. At the end of the day, if you don't agree with the conditions - you just have to go looking elsewhere to get what you are after.

This thread is just going around in circles. I don't agree with 'over the top' conditions being placed on the sale of a puppy, but then everyone will have a different idea of where the line is drawn between 'over the top' and 'reasonable'. At the end of the day, if you don't agree with the conditions - you just have to go looking elsewhere to get what you are after.

My advice to puppy buyers is this: If the puppy is of good quality and sold on limited register, go elsewhere as the conditions IMO are "over the top" as essentially, you are purchasing in reality nothing more than what used to be formally recognised as an unpapered dog :(

Don't be fooled by the reasons why "your" puppy on limited register is best for you, it isn't best for you at all. Your integrity is being challenged what you may do with the dog and the breeder doesn't trust your intentions for one. Secondly, the choice to show or breed is your choice to make.........it's your dog, your life.

You have done the right thing avoiding pet shops and BYB's to purchase a health tested pure breed dog. If you get the run around with restrictions and closed shop tactics to result in an unpapered dog, why not have a look at some rescue dogs instead which have the same restrictions as the limited register pure breed and are also in great need for a home :)

Edited by Black Bronson

My advice to puppy buyers is this: If the puppy is of good quality and sold on limited register, go elsewhere as the conditions IMO are "over the top" as essentially, you are purchasing in reality nothing more than what used to be formally recognised as an unpapered dog :(

Don't be fooled by the reasons why "your" puppy on limited register is best for you, it isn't best for you at all. Your integrity is being challenged what you may do with the dog and the breeder doesn't trust your intentions for one. Secondly, the choice to show or breed is your choice to make.........it's your dog, your life.

You have done the right thing avoiding pet shops and BYB's to purchase a health tested pure breed dog. If you get the run around with restrictions and closed shop tactics to result in an unpapered dog, why not have a look at some rescue dogs instead which have the same restrictions as the limited register pure breed and are also in great need for a home :)

if the puppy is of good quality and is placed on the limit register, then no buyer is being ripped off, providing they understand that they cannot exhibit or breed from the animal.... full stop end of story.

I'm sorry but IMO that's terrible advice, it is far from being over the top just to have a dog on limited register. Most breeders FULLY explain what the registry means so there is no ripping off, or over the top demands going on.

YES it is YOUR choice if you want to breed or show, which is why you should buy a dog papered accordingly. If you want to show, buy on main register, if you just want a pet then go with limited.

These days a dog that comes with no papers at all is from a less than reputable breeder.

By providing limited register papers at least you know there is a good chance that breeder is a good one and registered with the ANKC.

The breeder isn't "challenging your integrity" they are covering their own @rse because I can tell you now, I can't count on my fingers and toes the amount of people who have lied to and screwed over their dogs breeder.

Limited register on a good breed example shuts a door prematurely which should be left open as you never know how a dog may turn out.

Which is precisely why Limited Register CAN be raised to Main Register upon application by registered owner and breeder of record.

Funny story with that actually.

I know someone who sold a dog on limited register... they FULLY explained what it meant (the dog could not be shown etc)

Well, a year later the buyer of the pup came back and demanded the dog be upgraded so he could show it. The dog was not show quality.

They contacted the TCA and they said that she HAD to upgrade the dog whether she wanted to or not (!!!!)

The guy who bought the pup was going to take her to court so she conceded and agreed to upgrade.

HOWEVER, once she told him that she charges $1600 for show dogs and he got the limited register pup for $600 he had to pay her and extra $1000 plus the $90 to upgrade, plus a few other expenses...

He soon changed his mind once realized how much a show dog should have cost him.

Not all breeders will raise a limited to main............seen some massive arguments over that before :(

I am sure in the right circumstances any reputable and breed wise breeder would upgrade a limited register to main regsiter.

NOTE I said in the right circumstances!

You have done the right thing avoiding pet shops and BYB's to purchase a health tested pure breed dog. If you get the run around with restrictions and closed shop tactics to result in an unpapered dog, why not have a look at some rescue dogs instead which have the same restrictions as the limited register pure breed and are also in great need for a home :laugh:

if the puppy is of good quality and is placed on the limit register, then no buyer is being ripped off, providing they understand that they cannot exhibit or breed from the animal.... full stop end of story.

What about the breeders who misconstrude the application of the limited register for people to misbelieve that pets "must" be on limited register by regulation failing to disclose that the idea is theirs only, not a requirement of the registration system. Many pet buyers are under the impression that main register by legislation can only be granted to show/breeding homes.........now, who told them that nonesense :)

Not true. In Qld, a person can only associate register 1 or 2 non-papered dogs (rescue, BYB etc) at one time and that's it. Once you've done that you must own a MR or LR dog to compete in ANKC trials.

Plus you lack health testing, breeder support (though I know many rescues will support owners) and a known entity (the adult size, coat type, energy levels etc).

What about the breeders who misconstrude the application of the limited register for people to misbelieve that pets "must" be on limited register by regulation failing to disclose that the idea is theirs only, not a requirement of the registration system. Many pet buyers are under the impression that main register by legislation can only be granted to show/breeding homes.........now, who told them that nonesense :(

what about the breeders who do this

what about the breeders who do that

and these breeders...........and those breeders.

Once you've finished having a bitch about breeders maybe you can move on and whinge about why the poopa scoopa breaks after 5 uses.

I'm sorry but IMO that's terrible advice, it is far from being over the top just to have a dog on limited register. Most breeders FULLY explain what the registry means so there is no ripping off, or over the top demands going on.

YES it is YOUR choice if you want to breed or show, which is why you should buy a dog papered accordingly. If you want to show, buy on main register, if you just want a pet then go with limited.

These days a dog that comes with no papers at all is from a less than reputable breeder.

By providing limited register papers at least you know there is a good chance that breeder is a good one and registered with the ANKC.

The breeder isn't "challenging your integrity" they are covering their own @rse because I can tell you now, I can't count on my fingers and toes the amount of people who have lied to and screwed over their dogs breeder.

Shaar, I am referring to breeders who won't sell on main at all for the opportunity to buy an appropriately papered dog???.

What about the breeders who misconstrude the application of the limited register for people to misbelieve that pets "must" be on limited register by regulation failing to disclose that the idea is theirs only, not a requirement of the registration system. Many pet buyers are under the impression that main register by legislation can only be granted to show/breeding homes.........now, who told them that nonesense :(

what about the breeders who do this

what about the breeders who do that

and these breeders...........and those breeders.

Once you've finished having a bitch about breeders maybe you can move on and whinge about why the poopa scoopa breaks after 5 uses.

I would prefer to keep my responses on topic thanks Whippets :)

Shaar, I am referring to breeders who won't sell on main at all for the opportunity to buy an appropriately papered dog???.

I'm one of those breeders who put those going to pet homes on the limit register ( regardless of the show potential ) and sells/givesaway/co-own those on the main register to known and approved show homes.

Tell me why it is, that I should allow every Tom Dick and Harry that wants a main register dog, to have one ? My dogs come from some of the most successfull lines and kennels in the country, their immediate pedigrees contain multi BIS and BISS winners, the dogs themselves have their titles, their close relatives have proven time and again their worth in the ring and as breeding animals.

I don't have the right to take that and spread it around the countryside willy nilly , nor do I want to.

Those that have come before me, have worked bloody hard to put those dogs on the ground and I respect that. When they handed me the dogs, they made me a custodian of their lines and hard work.

You have done the right thing avoiding pet shops and BYB's to purchase a health tested pure breed dog. If you get the run around with restrictions and closed shop tactics to result in an unpapered dog, why not have a look at some rescue dogs instead which have the same restrictions as the limited register pure breed and are also in great need for a home :laugh:

What about the breeders who misconstrude the application of the limited register for people to misbelieve that pets "must" be on limited register by regulation failing to disclose that the idea is theirs only, not a requirement of the registration system. Many pet buyers are under the impression that main register by legislation can only be granted to show/breeding homes.........now, who told them that nonesense :)

General Common Sense in this world tells one ( whoever they are) to check all information supplied whether that be by a Dog Breeder, Car salesman or washing machine salesman! I do check all info given to me and hence I assumed most people would never believe something unless they check the facts ?

There is gullible and then there is lazy and ignorant gullible, JMHO

I would prefer to keep my responses on topic thanks Whippets :)

Oh have I missed something ? :(

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

If a dog is destined for a companion only role, then it has no need for Main Registration papers because it is not going to be bred from or exhibited and therefore Limited Registration is the appropriate registration for it to be on.