A Collar Question For Sighthound Owners

ruthless

Why are sighthound collars tapered? Myself and OH are debating and it's exhausting! He reckons the thick part goes at the front and I think it goes at the back. His argument is that as soon as you attach a lead to one the thick part will slide around to the front. I said why then do you have ones with a d-ring at the back of the neck but of course I couldn't find a photo to illustrate my point!

Where does the thick part go, and why?

The wide part goes around the front of the neck for padding I guess.

But no, then I'm wrong! :cry:

Never! As a woman you are supposed to confuse the man and twist it around so that you are right either way :hug:

The wide part goes around the front of the neck for padding I guess.

But no, then I'm wrong! :cry:

Never! As a woman you are supposed to confuse the man and twist it around so that you are right either way :cry:

I'm trying but he's worn me down. He hasn't cooked my dinner yet so my blood sugars are low! :hug:

PM Kirislin, she should know the answer to this!

Done, thanks!

I think some of the collars are tapered to give more protection and padding for the long sighthound neck/windpipe when going walking (as the D-ring is usually on the thin end).

The thick part rests at the front of the neck when walking, but if a lead is not attached then the thick bit can be worn either at the front or the back of the neck.....I think? :hug:

Yep, sorry Ruth, hubby is right, the thick part goes at the front. Because sighthounds have long slender necks those thin collars are just too harsh on them. They need to spread the load and have a nice wide, preferably smooth collar for their fine skin too. When they're just on the dog but not on a lead the thin part generally slips to the front, but once it's attached it goes round to the back.

Here's Taggy Baggy with an old roo slip collar showing how it should be "at rest"3126900739_95d4036a02_b.jpg

and the little girlies when they were tied up at the fun day showing how the collars spread the load by having the thick part at the front when there's a bit of tension. Just imagine how a thin collar would cut into those skinny little necks.

4537073182_41b5cdcbf0_b.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

We measured up an Italian Greyhound today for a custom collar and the owner asked for a d-ring on the back. In this case should the collar not taper at all? It's only 1.25" wide at the widest part but we were going to taper it to 5/8".

We measured up an Italian Greyhound today for a custom collar and the owner asked for a d-ring on the back. In this case should the collar not taper at all? It\'s only 1.25\" wide at the widest part but we were going to taper it to 5/8\".

no, it will probably need to be the one width. this one is the same all round

103-0317_IMG.jpg

Edited by Kirislin

no, it will probably need to be the one width. this one is the same all round

Ah, ok, thanks :cry: Glad I asked. Alternatively I could've just listened to OH in the first place :hug: Wonder if dinner's ready yet :cry:

Damn, I hate being wrong! :hug:

Did I imagine collars with a d-ring on the thick part then?

You must have seen them on a collar for a different breed.

On greyhounds, the widest part goes to the front when walking, as others have said to protect the delicate neck.

The traditional greyhound collar has a buckle, and the traditional lead has a buckle instead of a clip. This is because the entire collar is removed for work, rather than just the lead being taken off. The collars are worn very tight. Because the head is small, the collar has to be worn tight enough that you cannot get your fingers under. So to avoid neck damage the collar has to be wide, and be very soft too. Many are felt lined.

Ruthless I have bought some fabulous collars for my iggies from the USA, they are martingales that taper in size, will try to find you a pic. They are the BEST collars ive been able to find for my iggies - and ive tried a lot of different ones. I think one that doesnt taper wouldn't be as good, if its a fairly wide collar to start with? I also have some that dont taper but they are a lot narrower than the ones from the USA.

Here you go..

KK1.jpg

KK2.jpg

Edited by indigirl

I prefer ones that are the same width all around, they seem to wear coat less. Any other coated sighthound people opinions?

So Ruthless, in that sense you could still be right perhaps?? :D

Mine are 2 inches wide, martingales with satin lining to protect neck coat. Anything fur or felt lined matts up long coat.

I prefer ones that are the same width all around, they seem to wear coat less. Any other coated sighthound people opinions?

Mine are 2 inches wide, martingales with satin lining to protect neck coat. Anything fur or felt lined matts up long coat.

Mine vary from 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch all the way around and they aren't lined, no coat on greyhounds that can get matted :D Mine never wear a slip collar, only the proper martingales that are fully adjusted and only the ones Gail Wild, a greyhound person, makes.

eta the collars are the same width all the way around, the 2 inch ones are for the boys, the smaller ones for the girls

Edited by Rebanne