Question To Breeders

perth_girl

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of that information WAS on their site. To send and email to them I needed to fill out a form with all of my details and reasons why I would want one of their pups, whats my home like, do I have children, other pets etc. etc. I think breeders need to remember not assume that the person on the other end of the email just rolled out of bed and decided to rush out and buy their dog. I have spent time researching and deciding. I understand it is completely the decision of the breeder as to whether my home would be good enough for one of their dogs, and that is why I give them all of the details that they ask of me. But at the same time, I dont think I should be instantly rejected because I would like to know the price. I would be more wary of someone who has cash to simply throw around and isnt interested in a price at all. Am I less deserving than somebody who has cash to blow?

When I email the breeder, I dont want to waste their time. I figure its a bit of give and take. I give them all the information they ask of me, and expect to be given information back. If they sent another email clearly stating that before they release a price they want me to write out my life story and include photos and go to shows, then thats fine, I'll do those things. Or, if they have decided already that they dont want me to have one of their dogs, then just tell me. I would rather that, than a dismissive reply or no reply at all.

Im not at all having a go at breeders and their methods, just honestly finding out information. Its good to know how things work from breeders perspectives.

Hi Perthgirl,

I think you will find more than 50% of pups available will be $3500 on the limited register. You will find it very hard to purchase a female pup on main. Having said that there are still a few breeders that will sell you a pup on main for around $2800.

Because of the high price of pups you will find more than a few that breed mainly for the money(Doesnt mean they dont love their dogs either). My main suggestion would be to make your decision based on health, not price, colour or pedigree. Look for breeders that have other family members, especially grand parents(shows they dont give them the flick once their breeding days are over). And then of course any testing that may have been undertaken.

PM me if you like and good luck!

Well said ncarter, that is my feeling as well.

The first things someone should want to know about your kennel is what health tests your perform etc.

If an e-mail said:

"Hi, I was wondering how much you charge for your puppies. My wife and I have been looking at getting one for a while now - Cheers, Mike"

Then that would go in the junk folder

If an e-mail said:

"Hi, I have been looking around at some breeders and really like the look of your dogs. I was wondering what health tests you perform on your dogs? Would you also be able to give us a rough price range for puppies - Thankyou in advance - Mike"

That one would go into the 'consider' folder and get a sensible reply.

Because if the first question they ask is "How much?" they aren't getting a puppy.

Not from us either.

And another reason why people turn to petshops.

If we want to stop PF and petshops there needs to be some understanding that not everyone is educated on how to approach a breeder.

Everything you purchase has a price and it just comes naturally to ask how much.

Doesn't mean they are not worthy on that question alone.

I agree -I can guarantee that the general public have no idea about the cost of some pups.

It would be like test driving cars only to find "the one" and then discover it is way out of your price range.

The first things someone should want to know about your kennel is what health tests your perform etc.

If an e-mail said:

"Hi, I was wondering how much you charge for your puppies. My wife and I have been looking at getting one for a while now - Cheers, Mike"

Then that would go in the junk folder

If an e-mail said:

"Hi, I have been looking around at some breeders and really like the look of your dogs. I was wondering what health tests you perform on your dogs? Would you also be able to give us a rough price range for puppies - Thankyou in advance - Mike"

That one would go into the 'consider' folder and get a sensible reply.

How on earth would someone who is looking for a pet puppy even know what health tests are supposed to be performed, and how would they even interpret the results?

When I bought my first Aussie, I was presented with some copies of paperwork which were the hip and elbow scores of the parent dogs. I might as well have been handed the Dead Sea Scrolls to read, because I had NO idea what they were or why they were important.

Yes, I knew about hip dysplasia, but the results of the tests were meaningless to me.

And I wouldn't be alone there.

The first email is polite, to the point and asks a valid question.

I would expect someone to do some research into the breed they have chosen before ringing up and ordering a puppy :heart:

It's not that hard really, there are hundreds of sites on the internet, all you have to do is google "poodle health problems" and get plenty of hits.

Why? For the average pet owner....in fact, not even average, I'd hazard a guess to say most of them....health problems with a puppy are the last thing on their mind. And the vast majority of those who do seek a pup from a breeder rather than a pet shop or an ad in the paper, assume (rightly or wrongly) that they are getting a quality product that is much less likely to have problems.

I'm sure most people wouldn't mind being educated about potential health problems in the breed, but honestly, it's a bit much to expect a novice potential puppy buyer to even touch on health tests the breeder should be doing.

Everyone does things differently.

I am not a breeder but when I do breed my first litter I would expect people calling me for a puppy to be knowledgeable in ALL aspects of the breed.

They don't have to know everything, but a basic understanding is required.

The more they have done their research, the more I know they want that particular breed, and not just base their choice on looks alone.

I am not a breeder but when I do breed my first litter I would expect people calling me for a puppy to be knowledgeable in ALL aspects of the breed.

The more they have done their research, the more I know they want that particular breed, and not just base their choice on looks alone.

That kind of attitude is why pet shops do such a roaring trade.

I fully understand that breeders what the"bestest "home for their pups.

I believe not to judge but to educate. Everyone has to learn somewhere .I think you would be surprised how many

people would appreciate the advice from a good breeder. Ignoring them isn't the answer.

We all have to play apart in educating people that pet shops are not the only place to buy a pup from.

Aww shucks, thankyou for making me feel lower than dirt for wanting my puppies to go to good homes where the people know exactly what to expect from their chosen breed.

I really appreciate that.

I believe not to judge but to educate. Everyone has to learn somewhere .I think you would be surprised how many

people would appreciate the advice from a good breeder

Well said.

Aww shucks, thankyou for making me feel lower than dirt for wanting my puppies to go to good homes where the people know exactly what to expect from their chosen breed.

I really appreciate that.

I think you may have taken GayleK's comment the wrong way.

I had not thought about putting a price on the website,when it gets up and running :hug:

I do not havea problem with people asking the price upfront, it does sort the wheat from the chaff.

Its the conversation that flows that is important.

If they baulk at the price then they are not going to be interested in other information.

Price upfront is better than a 1/2 chat and then disappearing when price mentioned. :hug::(:)

There is a difference between specific advice and general information

General information is easily obtained as long as you have the ability to read.

I took it the way you did, and i don't think expecting people to know about the breed they are interested is a bad thing - knowledgeable in ALL aspects of the breed is another.

I would like them to know the basics of the breed they are enquiring about.

Not everyone can know everything, and nor can any breeder :hug:

I openly tell people the price of my puppies, I don't believe in charging more for colours.

I would expect someone to do some research into the breed they have chosen before ringing up and ordering a puppy :hug:

It's not that hard really, there are hundreds of sites on the internet, all you have to do is google "poodle health problems" and get plenty of hits.

if you havent noticed, those hundreds and thousands of websites about poodle health problems or ANY type of information about your breed of choice comes up with various results, often alot of the information is not very helpful or is incorrect. These websites are often made by regular dog owners, back yard breeders and people of all sorts.

If I want to get a breed of choice I would ask a breeder for their opinion and information about the breed as they would know more about the breed and would also know the ins and outs.. You cant just rely on websites to give you information, especially when its so varied. One site says a breed doesn't need walks, another says the opposite. I asked a breeder about dobermanns as I wanted their opinion on the breed on care, health and exercise requirements, I also like to hear a bit of history and the temperament of their dogs.

I would expect any breeder to have a knowledge of their breed, more than an average dog owner. ESPECIALLY if they truly want to better the breed and ensure healthy dogs with a good temperament. If your not willing to even help people interested in your breed and get them to understand the breeds requirements to ensure they can supply the dog with a happy and healthy life, then you should really reconsider why you want to breed. Not every puppy is going to be a grand champion, and not every person interested in a breed knows much about them. That's why people ask breeders about their dogs, as they know how much the breed requires. Websites are NOT always a reliable source of information. and the average person will NOT know which information is correct.

Edited by kyliegirl

Bottom line is, what I am trying to say is I think people should have some knowledge in a breed they intend to buy. Not knowing what the temperament, energy levels etc, of a breed are is why so many dog end up at the RSPCA. I think it is VERY necessary for people to learn temperament, health etc of breeds before they look into buying one.

Learning what health checks are needed, are also important for people to ask about as not all breeders do heath check on their dogs and lets face it, not all breeders can be honest.

Not all breeders are open to discussing the problems in their breed and some just flat out refuse to believe there are problems.

A friend of a friend recently purchased a certain breed but had very little knowledge of the them, they just thought they were cute and bought one.

They had a landscaped garden and didn't bother to research what the breed was bred for (digging up truffles) and their whole garden was ruined, and the dog is now being rehomed.

Bottom line is, what I am trying to say is I think people should have some knowledge in a breed they intend to buy. Not knowing what the temperament, energy levels etc, of a breed are is why so many dog end up at the RSPCA. I think it is VERY necessary for people to learn temperament, health etc of breeds before they look into buying one.

Learning what health checks are needed, are also important for people to ask about as not all breeders do heath check on their dogs and lets face it, not all breeders can be honest.

Not all breeders are open to discussing the problems in their breed and some just flat out refuse to believe there are problems.

A friend of a friend recently purchased a certain breed but had very little knowledge of the them, they just thought they were cute and bought one.

They had a landscaped garden and didn't bother to research what the breed was bred for (digging up truffles) and their whole garden was ruined, and the dog is now being rehomed.

That may have occurred Shaar, but in my discussions with prospective buyers I go through all that.