Is This Deal Too Good To Be True?

FranVT

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...sid=p2759.l1259 is the address of the sale

Description is encouraging:

Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera + 4 Lenses

This camera Body is a Factory Demo and has been reconditioned by Nikon Inc to Nikon factory standards. It is as Brand New Condition and has never been owned by a consumer.

The Lens and all accessories are Brand new and never opened.

WE DO NOT IMPORT ANY ITEM FROM HONG KONG

INCLUDES

Nikon D5000 Digital SLR Camera Kit

Nikon 18-55mm VR Lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX Lens

Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6ED-IF AF-S DX VR Lens

2x Telephoto Conversion Add-on Lens

.45 Wide Angle Conversion Add-on Lens

EN-EL9a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery

MH-23 Battery Charger

DK-5 Eyepiece Shield

DK-24 Rubber Eyecup

UC-E6 USB Cable

EG-CP14 A/V Cable

AN-DC3 Camera Strap

BS-1 Hot-Shoe Cover

Body Cap

Software Suite CD-ROM (incl. ViewNX)

Thoughts?

You can get that camera and what not for $1399 brand new through photo continental in Brissy. So you can probably pick it up cheaper from someone like dd photographics, or similar and have a brand new camera. http://d-d-photographics.com.au/nikond5000.htm have the above for brand new @ $1049. DD are well known and highly recommended.

I'm also not fussed when they say not used by a consumer because that doesn't mean it's not been misused.

It's only that that ebay one comes with 2 extra lenses.

I guess I am still wary of buying a camera that is totally without warranty of any kind (as the DD Photographics ones are) but at least I can pick it up from them in Brisbane :D

DWI have the same outfit (less the teleconverter/wide converter) for $870 new. It's personal choice, but I wouldn't pay the extra for a couple of no-brand converters. Be different if they were Nikon but I don't think those are. The D5000 is ver' nice, but as someone else said earlier, you'd probably be happier with a D90 in the longer term. The extra features are still there when the price is forgotten.

Good point. Sigh. Back to the drawing board!

I am trying to find a site that can tell me the actual differences between the two and the advantages of the D90. Maybe I don't know enough to tell :laugh:

Edited by FranCQ

There's only one meaningful difference really, in that the D5000 body does not have a focussing motor. That's the only reason it is budget-priced. All it means is that auto-focussing is done by the motor in the lens. So ipso facto as they say, you are limited to using AF-S lenses which just means they have their own focussing motor. It's no big deal, there are tons of Nikon AF-S lenses to choose from. Plus good non-Nikon brands, as Sigma etc increased their range when the Nikon D40 and D60 turned out to be so popular, they put out new lenses for them.

The very worst thing that can happen is when you have a non-AFS lens in the camera bag that you just HAVE to use and it's funny but the world doesn't actually crash and burn if you have to manual focus. And it makes no difference if you are doing macro shots with a non-AFS macro lens, as you would use manual focus in any case.

Thank you all so much for the advice and links!

I had a really good chat with the guy at Camerasdirect and he said that the D5000 is probably a better ENTRY LEVEL camera because it has little inbuilt tutorials and instructions and tips/tricks etc when the D90 sorta leaves you on your own. He also told me about the focussing motor in the AF-S lenses and the subsequent limitations of lenses HOWEVER he said that by the time I'm needing lots of different lenses I'll probably be ready to upgrade my camera body anyway, IF I decide to get more involved in photography.

In conclusion: I bought the D5000 and twin VR Lens Kit (18-55mm and 55-200mm) plus a 4GB SD card and bag for $1077 and am picking up my camera (Gold Coast) directly after I pick up my car on Friday :)

Edited by FranCQ