Can't Find Breeding Age For Males

dog geek

hi all

I am trying to find the youngest age at which a Pomeranian can sire a registerable litter. I have looked and looked on the two sites mentioned above, but cannot for the life of me see any mention! :(:) :D

Could someone kindly post a link for me?

For most breeds it is the age at which relevant health tests can be completed, eg, 12 months for hip & elbow scores, etc. If there are no health tests required for Pom's, then there would be no minimum age for the male. The minimun ages for bitches are to ensure that she has completed her own growth prior to the added burden of bearing a litter.

Many thanks for the prompt replies!

I guess I was just impatient and wanted to know right then, rather than waiting for Monday :hug:

I will ring and ask the relevant authorities - and thankyou again.

Just went through my copy of the NSW regs and the only age mentioned is the breeding of bitches. No mention of a minimum age for males

Last time I read the regs it was 9 months min age for Poms and other non-brachy toy breeds to sire a litter.

Yes!

Thankyou, BMP - I had a vague recollection of this, but I do not know where I can check it. I rang someone from Poms NSW but wasn't able to clarify to my satisfaction.

Would know where to look to settle this?

Cheers

It looks like NSW only specifies a minimum age for bitches (CoE #4)

A bitch shall not be bred from unless it is in good health and has reached adequate maturity

(no matings before 9 months for Toys and Brachycephalic Breeds, 12 months for others

except Giant Breeds where a minimum of 18 months is to apply for matings). Any litter

resulting from the mating of a bitch under the minimum specified age at the time of mating is

eligible to be registered on the Limited Register only and flagged “not to be upgraded to the

Main Register”. 11/08

The only way to be sure of a rule NOT existing will be to call DogsNSW.

It looks like NSW only specifies a minimum age for bitches (CoE #4)
A bitch shall not be bred from unless it is in good health and has reached adequate maturity

(no matings before 9 months for Toys and Brachycephalic Breeds, 12 months for others

except Giant Breeds where a minimum of 18 months is to apply for matings). Any litter

resulting from the mating of a bitch under the minimum specified age at the time of mating is

eligible to be registered on the Limited Register only and flagged “not to be upgraded to the

Main Register”. 11/08

The only way to be sure of a rule NOT existing will be to call DogsNSW.

The exact same ruling I found. AS I said it only states Bitches not dogs.

Yes!

Thankyou, BMP - I had a vague recollection of this, but I do not know where I can check it. I rang someone from Poms NSW but wasn't able to clarify to my satisfaction.

Would know where to look to settle this?

Cheers

Sorry - I thought I had edited my post to say that I am pretty sure I found this information on the ANKC site.

ETA: Just checked the ANKC site and cant find it. Had a look at Dogs NSW regs and can only find mention of bitches too. :welcome:

Edited by BittyMooPeeb