Choosing A Rescue Dog

A staffy type would be the last breed I had on a rural property with livestock.

If choosing a rescue I would opt for one who has been in a home foster environment for at least 4 weeks in order to gauge their temperament. I would also ensure that you can take the dog on a trial period.

One of our committee members is a staffy fan and regularly has staffy's and staffy mixes at her place. She is rural on 30 acres with horses, cows and kangaroos and the staffy's aren't any worse than any other breed to be honest. I think that it is vital that the OP find a rescue group who has dogs that live in a similar situation to the one in which they're proposing to put the dog.

Being rural we get lots of enquiries from people looking for dogs to satisfy similar requirements. We always point them towards our carers who are on acreage to find them the right dog. Provided they're happy to wait we find that this is the most successful way of rehoming rescue dogs onto acreage.

I agree with Trisven. Your best bet is to get one from a reputable rescue group. Most groups will have carers who live on acreages with cattle and will know the temperament of the dog. Have a look on Petrescue, so many dogs needing good homes.

Are you limiting the size to medium because of activity levels or room? I foster large dogs and have had some of the laziest, quietest dogs ever. So easy to look after and not yappy:)

I think that it is vital that the OP find a rescue group who has dogs that live in a similar situation to the one in which they're proposing to put the dog.

Being rural we get lots of enquiries from people looking for dogs to satisfy similar requirements. We always point them towards our carers who are on acreage to find them the right dog. Provided they're happy to wait we find that this is the most successful way of rehoming rescue dogs onto acreage.

I agree with Trisven. Your best bet is to get one from a reputable rescue group. Most groups will have carers who live on acreages with cattle and will know the temperament of the dog...

Are you limiting the size to medium because of activity levels or room? I foster large dogs and have had some of the laziest, quietest dogs ever. So easy to look after and not yappy:)

This is the way to go.

A reputable rescue group will be able to match you to a dog that has shown while in foster care that it is happy to rest quietly while you work, and a dog with the right level of guarding instinct for your home.

Be honest with them, be guided by what they say, and be prepared to wait, because sometimes it can take a few weeks to get the right dog.

Sometimes wanting a dog that is quick to learn and easy to train is at odds with a wish for a laid back dog. If you need to make a compromise, a reputable rescue will give you the best advice for your situation.

Having livestock around, there is huge potential for harm if the wrong dog is brought home, so it is extra important that the dog you get has been assessed properly in a rural environment.

:hug:

We kind of knew what we wanted, and were looking for an older dog (not puppy stage) - so I looked on petrescue.com.au every night - I read the descriptions in detail to find a dog that might suit us, and I asked lots of questions. I wanted a rescue who would flourish in our home - not just based on looks or a particular breed, but more on the personality/needs of the dog.

And then I saw Sasha... oh my... one look at her and I knew. I can't tell you how... I just knew she was the one.

And she was.

Best thing I ever did. :thumbsup: She is the loveliest girl ever. Slightly neurotic sometimes, but totally loveable.

Rescue dogs ROCK!

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I want to get a rescue dog very soon and would be really interested in people's opinions and advice on choosing a breed. I'm currently renting in a rural area (Kiama, NSW) and am surrounded by cows. So I need a dog that will be OK with that and not want to chase them or bark at them all day! I also need a dog that is OK to be on its own a bit and not always running around (not a working dog) as my partner and I do alot of computer-based work. We are more than happy to exercise it twice a day and let it sleep inside, train it and give it lots of attention and love. In return, we want an intelligent, obedient and responsive dog that is friendly and sociable, but also capable of protecting its owners from harm if called on to do so. What are your thoughts? Cheers.

OP looking for one dog that is NOT high energy, content to be left on its own for a bit, tractable, friendly and protective if needed.

Not a staffy :thumbsup:

As in rescue we're rarely dealing with purebred dogs I've always found it best to work on what each individual dog is showing whilst in foster care and combine that with what breed traits are typical to the primary breed in the dog. I would NEVER put any dog into a home such as the OP is proposing without that dog having lived in a foster home that has a similar set-up. One of the benefits of getting a dog that has been in foster care for more than a couple of weeks IMO - preferrably for a month or more.