Moving Interstate

Im glad you put your mind at ease and have sorted it all out :(

Adelaide has monthly meet ups so once you get settled you must come along :( there is a thread in the social thread with all the dates on the first page.

Would love to meet your dog in your avatar :cry:

Sounds interesting! :eek: Will look it up once we settle down. Here's a picture of the avatar dog. :mad

IMG_6191.jpg

I'll be moving from Melbourne to Adelaide with my partner in early July. We're planning to drive down and it'll be about a 9 hours drive. My question is, would it be best to fly our puppy, Bailey(which will be about 1 in July) over in a crate then pick him up when we arrive, or would it be ok if we put him in the crate at the back of the car.

If you guys think flying him over is better, could you guys also suggest which pet transport company would be better?

Driving or flying, Bailey should travel quite well. I normally find that owners have more reservations/concerns of moves like this than their pets.

A couple of things to consider:

How settled will Bailey be when you begin to pack up your existing premises for the move? Pets normally pick up quite early on when routines begin to change, especially packing boxes and strangers (removalists) coming and going. (Time to lock up Bailey so he doesn't escape through open doors). Try to keep the routine at home as normal as possible. If not, placing Bailey in boarding (with friend, family or commercial establishment) may be a suitable alternative.

Also most people become stressed if unforseen events occur, and your pet picks up on this, this is where your forward planning pays off. Have it written down in an exercise book and include things like copies of Baileys vaccination papers, microchip papers etc, emergency contacts. Make sure that Bailey is wearing suitable identification on him whether driving or flying, including contact phone numbers.

If you decide to drive, how full will your car be? Packed with family, personal luggage and so on...ensure there is enough room for Bailey. If driving, avoid feeding before travelling, occasional tit bit and water is normally key requirements. Once at destination ensure Bailey has access to food, normally in moderation, just helps the tummy to settle if he is not used to long travels.

Plenty of water from your existing home. In that way when you get to SA you can mix the water, this will enable Bailey to get used to the different tastes of the water. Sometimes you can expect to see loose bowels for a day or two whilst things get back to normal, to some dogs it makes no difference.

Will you new residence be ready to walk into, fences, furniture etc? If not, what arrangements have been made for Bailey whilst the move is completed?

Sometimes it is easier to board Bailey and fly him in when you require him, the flight in total takes and two half hours from Melbourne to Adelaide including pre-flight (loading)and post flight (unloading) times. This method will allow you time to take possession of your new premises and ensure the new premises are suitable for the arrival of Bailey. ie no holes in fences etc.

As a guide:

Airfares for a Corgi size 10/12kg dog Mel/Adl should be around $120 including crate.

Air flights are conducted by the commercial airlines (VB or Qantas to Adelaide) which all dog transport companies use for flights and operate as brokers.

As for which dog transport company, the big difference between them all is the prices and what additional items/services they offer: i.e., personal service, meeting with your demanding schedules, pet boarding, pick up and delivery and airport lodgements (fees vary for weekday or weekends) and so on.

The final decision of driving or flying is a personal preference and financial choice. As long as you feel comfortable with the decision you make you will feel relaxed and this will make the experience so much more stress free.

Good Luck with your move!

:) Yes, drive him. We have driven all over aust, incl. from here to darwin, twice, 3500kms, with kids, birds, 4 cats, 2 dogs. no problems :D and from SA to QLD several times. Some trips took up to 5 or 6 days. We love it :(

If he loves the car then driving is the best option. At least you are in control of everything that happens to him.

I took my two dogs with me last year on a road trip holiday and travelled 4500km in 16 days, from Sydney inland through Wagga, Bendigo, Ballarat to Melb, around the coast to Adelaide and back home again. The dogs had their normal meals and they had a wonderful trip.

In the past I have done many Syd - Melb and Sydney - Bris trips for Royal shows with various dogs of all different ages, with no problems.

Unless a dog is a bad traveller, there is no reason for them not to travel long distances. If he is a chewer just take some chew toys or beefhide chews to keep him amused.