Indoor Photos

redangel

Hopefully this has nothing to do with the eyesight question but...

I took photos at my daughters and then her friends bday party. I was so disappointed in my photos. They were grainy. They had a cast color (yellow all over) due to the lighting in the houses, skin tones all over the place. Focus could have been better. My pictures are crisp outdoors but indoors any photos I take are sure to disappoint. They seem visually soft if that makes sense?

My 700 dollar point n shoot takes a better snapshot in house. Yes I know I am learning...I know at times I inadvertently forget to recheck settings....I adore the outdoor shots ive taken...but inside shots under artificial light seems to be a no go for me. Any ideas??? After my last lot of shots indoor, artifical light im almost thinking my camera should be rehomed. :thumbsup:

Edited by redangel

Hopefully this has nothing to do with the eyesight question but...

I took photos at my daughters and then her friends bday party. I was so disappointed in my photos. They were grainy. They had a cast color (yellow all over) due to the lighting in the houses, skin tones all over the place. Focus could have been better. My pictures are crisp outdoors but indoors any photos I take are sure to disappoint. They seem visually soft if that makes sense?

My 700 dollar point n shoot takes a better snapshot in house. Yes I know I am learning...I know at times I inadvertently forget to recheck settings....I adore the outdoor shots ive taken...but inside shots under artificial light seems to be a no go for me. Any ideas??? After my last lot of shots indoor, artifical light im almost thinking my camera should be rehomed. :thumbsup:

no no no, dont rehome it. JS is right it's the white balance and you can adjust it in RAW but you dont have to have lightroom or photoshop, the programs that came with your camera will fix it for you. Did you get a disc when you got your camera? Have you put it on your computer yet? Also the graininess sounds like digital noise and you can reduce that too. Dont be disheartened.

How about posting a couple of pics with the details included, aperture, ISO etc.

I always shoot in raw. I want to ensure a way a saving myself when the settings I forgot to alter give me a less than desirable result. I dont have lightroom or PS and I tried to adjust it in Paintshop Pro and it just looked a lighter yellow. Too much and it starts to get a bluish tinge. Is this the best I can expect? Noise reduction improves the graininess problem. Is it possible to get it right in a situation where I was taking the photos or is it normal to assume it will need tweeking later? Thanks for the duh reminder Kirslin- My ISO on the shots were very high (3200) as I forgot to reset them from the last outing I was shooting. Normally inside I try auto first, then adjust to my liking, as i am still learning. What would be the average iso say in a nightime room with say only batten lighting as the source (fitted with energy globes) if anyone is bored could they do a few test shots and let me know their data? Puck would be a nice subject :thumbsup:

Justice yesterday I was sourcing a bounce flash for my camera as I am dissatisfied with the lack of option with the onboard flash. These covers...where do you get them? Id love to try that too.

Thanks for the replies I LOVE taking pictures it has so helped me with my agoraphobia . Yesterday I was feeling so defeated with those kids party shots I was feeling like i didnt deserve my beloved d90

I always shoot in raw. I want to ensure a way a saving myself when the settings I forgot to alter give me a less than desirable result. I dont have lightroom or PS and I tried to adjust it in Paintshop Pro and it just looked a lighter yellow. Too much and it starts to get a bluish tinge. Is this the best I can expect? Noise reduction improves the graininess problem. Is it possible to get it right in a situation where I was taking the photos or is it normal to assume it will need tweeking later? Thanks for the duh reminder Kirslin- My ISO on the shots were very high (3200) as I forgot to reset them from the last outing I was shooting. Normally inside I try auto first, then adjust to my liking, as i am still learning. What would be the average iso say in a nightime room with say only batten lighting as the source (fitted with energy globes) if anyone is bored could they do a few test shots and let me know their data? Puck would be a nice subject :thumbsup:

Justice yesterday I was sourcing a bounce flash for my camera as I am dissatisfied with the lack of option with the onboard flash. These covers...where do you get them? Id love to try that too.

Thanks for the replies I LOVE taking pictures it has so helped me with my agoraphobia . Yesterday I was feeling so defeated with those kids party shots I was feeling like i didnt deserve my beloved d90

the high ISO would account for the graininess. Didn't your camera come with some editing program, if so I am sure that will fix the lighting problem. I took some night time photos under tungsten, I think that's what they were, they had a awful blue tinge but I just corrected it in DPP, the canon program and they looked fine.

I'll have to take a pic of Pucky tonight if I remember :thanks:

on the D90, I would be very reluctant to be going that high with the ISO - as far as Nikons go, I think really only the D3, D3X, and D700 would be capable of still giving nice crisp images at that high an ISO, I know even with Canon, the high ISO capability like that was only reached with the 5D, my old 10D would struggle with noise on anything higher than ISO 400. The colour is from the WB colour temp from the lights, and can be fixed in RAW converter. If you are doing nighttime shooting inside, then just light bulbs are not going to cut it as far as lighting goes,you will need a flash for the D90, and in that case, your shutter speed and aperture are limited by the sync speed with your camera, and what you want to have as far as depth of field goes. Myself the only time I would do shots inside without a flash at night would be like a birthday party, where I had a tripod and was using the birthday cake candles to light the shots, otherwise would be using a flash most definitely.