Artemis V Eagle Pack V Ziwipeak

My boy has allergies to chicken & wheat, which manifest as liquid stools.

I tried him on Eagle Pack Hollistic, both the fish and the duck one. He liked them both, but was always starving, and lost weight. If I gave him more, it would go straight through him

Then I tried him on Artemis. Similar results to Eagle Pack. And he got so thin it was scary.

Then I was given a small bag of Nutro Lamb & Rice. Like magic!!! He likes it, and his stools are solid.

I also found during my testing of foods, that if I add some beef mince to his dry, it makes his stools solid too.

So now this boy is on Nutro Lamb & Rice with about 3/4 cup of beef mince.

Edited by Rysup

Artemis feeding guide is around 4 - 5 serves @250gm each serve per day for a 14kg puppy. I'm probably not reaching that level yet...

My goodness! I hope you NEVER reach that level of food :eek: I think you have misread the feeding guide somewhere as that would be 1kg - 1.25kg of food per day.

Depending on the puppy's age the feed guide for a 14kg puppy is as follows:

3 -4 months - approx 375g per day split into 3 meals per day so only 125g per feed

5 -7 months - approx 280g per day split into 2 -3 meals per day

8- 12 months - approx 215g per day

Of course if you are adding other foods to puppy's diet then you need to cut the above back.

I really encourage people to use these feeding guides as just that, a starting guide, each puppy is different, some will need more food than others etc, its far better to monitor your puppy's weight and keep a close eye on things like feeling but not seeing ribs, a waistline etc and then adjusting the food accordingly. :p

You will find that Artemis lists the dog's weight in lbs, I feed about the same as any other dry food if I go by their recommended amounts, but I do find need to actually feed less due to the quality of the food.

Ziwipeak don't make a dry, only cans or air dried meat (haven't seen this in Aust though).

Eagle Pack have been taken over by "Wellness" so hard to say if this will stay the same, also there distribution is very erratic.

My boy has allergies to chicken & wheat, which manifest as liquid stools.

I tried him on Eagle Pack Hollistic, both the fish and the duck one. He liked them both, but was always starving, and lost weight. If I gave him more, it would go straight through him

Then I tried him on Artemis. Similar results to Eagle Pack. And he got so thin it was scary.

Then I was given a small bag of Nutro Lamb & Rice. Like magic!!! He likes it, and his stools are solid.

I also found during my testing of foods, that if I add some beef mince to his dry, it makes his stools solid too.

So now this boy is on Nutro Lamb & Rice with about 3/4 cup of beef mince.

Holistic Select doesnt contain wheat or gluten, my boy is on this food because I dont feed him wheat or gluten due to yeast infections

As Sagittarian has mentioned Ziwipeak does not make a kibble, for want of a better description it is similar in consistency to Schmackos.

For one 4kg dog it would not be too expensive, but we have 6 shelties :eek:

Austerra, ALL the Ziwipeak range is available in Australia, the importers are Prestige Pet Products in Caboolture, QLD.

We have fed, and continue to feed Ziwipeak, albeit in limited quantities and feed Nutro on a 1/3rd 2/3rds basis with a home-made diet.

Info on Ziwipeak can be found at: http://www.ziwipeak.com/nzl/home.shtml

As Sagittarian has mentioned Ziwipeak does not make a kibble, for want of a better description it is similar in consistency to Schmackos.

For one 4kg dog it would not be too expensive, but we have 6 shelties :eek:

Austerra, ALL the Ziwipeak range is available in Australia, the importers are Prestige Pet Products in Caboolture, QLD.

We have fed, and continue to feed Ziwipeak, albeit in limited quantities and feed Nutro on a 1/3rd 2/3rds basis with a home-made diet.

Info on Ziwipeak can be found at: http://www.ziwipeak.com/nzl/home.shtml

I know Prestige is the distributor as I deal with them and carry Ziwipeak cans and treats in my store. I have just been through their complete 2010/11 catalogue and Ziwipeak is no longer listed as one of their products, I will check what is happening with it when I see the Prestige sales rep.

• 5 months later...

Bumping this with a question for the Ziwi Peak feeders...do you find much (if any) difference between the 3 "kibble" flavours?

Billie gets a combination of raw, Artemis puppy and Ziwi Peak lamb at the moment and has just run out of Ziwi. I'd was thinking of trying the venison or venison/fish this time so interested in hearing any feedback.

I'd suggest you email the Australian distributors and get some samples of each.

I rotate what I feed a bit - I figure variety doesn't hurt. So far my dogs have had Artemis and Canidae. They didn't like the Holistic Select Salmon sample I tried them on.

Seeing as this has been bumped I'll update that Prestige no longer imports Ziwipeak. We're running down our stocks now, and from a wet perspective, are looking forward to the arrival in the not too distant future of the Artemis canned range.

Sags

With effect from Monday 19th July 2010, ZiwiPeak will have a new distributor in Australia"

Alan Keyes Associates Pty Ltd

Telephone: 02 8011 0204 | Fax: 02 9130 4250

Postal Address: Bowhouse, 4/16 Hall Street, Bondi Beach, NSW 2026, Australia

Seeing as this has been bumped I'll update that Prestige no longer imports Ziwipeak. We're running down our stocks now, and from a wet perspective, are looking forward to the arrival in the not too distant future of the Artemis canned range.

Sags

HUGE Artemis Fan here!! I am excited to see a canned range coming! When it this expected???