Dol Dogs Favourite Anti-boredom Devices!

FranVT

Guys this is all brilliant!

I have ordered her some new toys, a bubble machine with bacon flavoured bubble stuff, an everlasting treat ball and a new treat ball. The rest of the stuff is DIY and I will grab some cool ice trays this weekend!

I am loving all these ideas! :o

I love the sock ball idea. I'm going to try it with a little treat every layer. And the apple idea sounds great too.

The kids had a inner tube tyre swing hanging from a tree that banjo played tug with. It swings around great and because it's stretchy kind of fights back iykwim? But is in ribbons now.

We sometimes tie a tug toy to the verandah rail and that keeps him going for awhile.

I saw a kong dispenser on line - you sit it where the dog can't reach, fill it with four stuffed kongs and set the timer to drop one out every however many hours you like.

Awesome idea with the pull toy suspended up in the tree. Gonna try that one.

I hav a quick question.... With my boys kongs, If I fill it just with kibble he easily plays with it but it lasts about 5 mins. But if I fill it with kibble and peanut butter to try and make it last longer my boy gives up. I find that the kibble and peanut butter turns into a big ball at the base and he can't get it out. I've got the size recommended for his breed but i wonder if his tongue can't get inside it lol. Anyone else have kong issues??

Awesome idea with the pull toy suspended up in the tree. Gonna try that one.

I hav a quick question.... With my boys kongs, If I fill it just with kibble he easily plays with it but it lasts about 5 mins. But if I fill it with kibble and peanut butter to try and make it last longer my boy gives up. I find that the kibble and peanut butter turns into a big ball at the base and he can't get it out. I've got the size recommended for his breed but i wonder if his tongue can't get inside it lol. Anyone else have kong issues??

I had the same problem, but I think I was packing it too tight. Now I pack it more lightly and he seems to do better with it.

Cow hooves. I cannot believe how long the boys will chew on those things. Hours! I usually have to take them away eventually when they get more interested in wrestling over them than chewing on them, but they are pretty amazing. Kongs are also a big favourite. And softdrink bottles with treats inside.

I would fill a plastic bag, you know the re-sealable lunch bags, with beef stock, poke a hole in it with a fork, then walk around the backyard making a trail out of stock.

Around trees, under bushes, on the picnic table, under chairs, along the fence line.

At intervals I'd drop a piece of dried liver, bury a chicken wing with a tip poking out, throw some biscuits under a rock, and my best invention, using a bungee cord to anchor a loaded XXL Kong to a tree limb just out of reach. I filled the Kong with frozen peanut butter mixed with yoghurt, honey and banana, and shoved a bully stick in the smaller hole.

She's start out on the trail, and because it's a strong and delicious scent, she'd rub her entire face on it the whole way across the yard without breaking contact. she looked like she was doing the kid's game 'Wheelbarrow'.

Want to not see or hear your dog for roughly 8 hours? That's the way.

My friend is an engineer and he rigged his BC's treat ball to a sliding track, which was secured halfway up his fence, on it's side.

So she'd have to push the ball across the fence on the track to keep it rolling. It was only when it built up enough speed that it'd force out some treats.

God only knows how it worked, I'm a Literature major, I'm not equipped to deal with that sort of brainpower :cry: .

I always told him to market it, because he'd leave at roughly 7 in the morning for work, come back at lunchtime and she'd still be running the 50m fence line pushing this whirling ball with her nose.

She was the fittest BC I've ever seen.

I'm worried about leaving food out for my two. Even if I only had one, I don't think I'd do it (unless it was boring old kibble).

Mine would eat through the plastic bad to get to the stock, and swallow a fair bit of plastic in the process. Most likely it would pass through no problems, but there is an obstruction risk. I have heard of dogs tongues getting stuck in kongs due to the vacuum effect (if they push the food against the top release hole this can happen). I think this has happened to a few DOLers?

Where can you buy the bubble machines?

I got mine from crazysales.com.au. Just go on there and do a search, it'll come up quickly :mad It was $17.99.

hey fran it says you have to buy the AC adaptor seperately to plug it into the wall, have you been able to locate it for sale? I cant find it anywhere and dont want to have to run it only on batteries all the time :cry:

I'm worried about leaving food out for my two. Even if I only had one, I don't think I'd do it (unless it was boring old kibble).

Mine would eat through the plastic bad to get to the stock, and swallow a fair bit of plastic in the process. Most likely it would pass through no problems, but there is an obstruction risk. I have heard of dogs tongues getting stuck in kongs due to the vacuum effect (if they push the food against the top release hole this can happen). I think this has happened to a few DOLers?

You don't leave the bag with stock out, you just use it to dribble the stock in a trail, and when you're through with it throw it away. I'd never ever leave my dog alone with a plastic bag

I've never had the Kong thing happen, but I have heard of it, that's why it has two holes, I believe. Although a pet warehouse guy once told me it's like the lolly Lifesavers, if the dog swallows the Kong they can still breathe. Sounded ridiculous to me, but you never know

empty juice bottles with a bit of juice left in the bottom, will keep mine busy for ages trying to get the juice out. I'm waiting for the day when they relise if they just tip it up a little more the juice will pour out. I dont leave much juice in the bottom only about a tablespoon or two.

You don't leave the bag with stock out, you just use it to dribble the stock in a trail, and when you're through with it throw it away. I'd never ever leave my dog alone with a plastic bag

I've never had the Kong thing happen, but I have heard of it, that's why it has two holes, I believe. Although a pet warehouse guy once told me it's like the lolly Lifesavers, if the dog swallows the Kong they can still breathe. Sounded ridiculous to me, but you never know

sorry for misreading.

RE: teh kongs, teh issue (I believe) is that the top hole gets clogged very easily, especially since a lot of dgos land up lickign the food to block teh hole. You then get the vacuum effect and their tongue gets stuck in the middle of the kong.