What To Do About An Attacking Dog?

dee lee

A couple of weeks ago Honey and I had a run in with a particular owner and dog at our regular offlead park.

Honey was attacked, no harm done- thank god she has a thick ruff!- but it was scary. :)

The guy was helpful but judging by some comments he made, obviously had some indication that his dog can be aggressive. He also did not stick around to see if Honey had been hurt at all :( - it was clear there was no blood but she was yelping (from fear I suppose).

I had the misfortune to see them again this morning :) . I was able to avoid them this time but I noticed another dog walker was nervously avoiding them too which made me think perhaps we are not the only ones who have had trouble with them.

Question I have is, if something were to happen again- what could I do about it?

I would call the ranger, but surely there's not much they could do if they have left the park?

Mind you, it wont be happening to us again- the park is a large open one, Honey and I can easily avoid other dogs (and usually do)- but I'd like to be prepared if I witness it again.

Glad to hear that Honey is OK :)

Maybe take some photos of the guy and his dog (make it look like you are taking a pic of your dog :( ), write down his car rego if he drives to the park, arrange for someone to follow him home and find out where he lives in case you need to report him at a later date. Good luck and hope you don't have any more run ins with them :)

I take it he had his dog offlead again? Some people think their dog is OK even when it should not be off lead and is a accident waiting to happen.

Just report it. The ranger will investigate and if somebody else complains steps should be taken.

I would be angry if mine were attacked and the dog was showing up again. In the right circumstances this dog could seriously hurt another dog. And letting the dog repeat this behaviour is even more irresponsible of the owner.

Glad Honey was OK.

Are you walking in the area of Centennial Park? An offleash Rotti killed a small dog there last year. Any dog attacks must be reported, to protect others as well as you.

I am p......d off because there was a pitty attack close to my street a week or two ago, most likely the JRT attacked actually died. The person who saw it all called the police but I checked with the council and they didn't know about it. Person won't ring the council because they "done their bit". Council wouldn't listen to me, I understand why but I just wish this other person would take 2 mins to ring them and then they'd investigate.

As it is, this pitty is in a yard with a waist high fence, saw the JRT and owner crossing the road and leapt the fence. Held the traffic up and ended the JRT's life most likely.

A dog at our offlead park attacked bert a few months ago. luckily he was ok. owner didnt give a sh!t and told us to get out of their park (it was an informal group meeting of a certain breed)

as we were leaving (straight away) we hear a horrible sound and turn around and the same dog is attacking another small dog. this dog appeared to be injured but we couldnt catch the owner as they rushed to their car straight away.

rang the council the next day. they took a msg and said someone would get back to me.

2 days later a man called me back. explained what had happened. he said it would be difficult to catch the offenders as the group meets at 8pm at night and the rangers dont go out that late :)

he said the best advice he could give would be to avoid the park when they meet :rofl: (which of course we were going to anyway, havent been back on that day since)

I am hoping you get a better response from your council than we did. I live in fear that I will hear about a dog seriously injured as a result of this dog.

Yep, Councils aren't very proactive if it is outside of their hours. I reported a loose and large unfriendly dog - it was about 10 mins before closing time so they told me to just leave it .... It was a Saturday morning. Council wouldn't be open again until Monday. Great, very helpful.

Thanks everyone, I didn't report it because I wasn't sure what to do and the guy had left the park by the time I'd finished checking that Honey was ok.

Dogmad, I'm glad you mentioned Centennial Park!- it is within the Centennial Parklands so I will call their rangers- who are brilliant, much better than dealing with the council.

Seeing the guy with his dog offlead again worried me quite a bit, but as well as being fearful, it really bugs me considering how careful I have been in the past making sure my DA dog couldnt get to other dogs. :)

My dogs go to a huge off lead area every day and 2 of them would chase down another dog given the opportunity.

If there are other dogs at the end we use, we go to the opposite end. We also both have lead with us and are very watchful.

If we see dogs dog close with their families we put our dogs back on lead. I think my dogs should be allowed to go off lead as long

as we are responsible and watch them. In saying that though. There is an older man who walks a little scruffy at the same park and he persists in coming near us

and our dogs.

I have had to hold my shepherd by his collar and yell at the man to pick up his dog and not come near us and he says his dog just wants to be friends.

That is all good and well, but my shepherd doesnt want to me friends and I dont know how many times I have to tell this man.

there is also he Greyhound man who purposely comes to the same end of the park that we are at and wants to walk his dogs near us

So if we are being responsible and keeping an eye on our dogs then why can't people stay clear of us if they see us?

Are you walking in the area of Centennial Park? An offleash Rotti killed a small dog there last year. Any dog attacks must be reported, to protect others as well as you.

I am p......d off because there was a pitty attack close to my street a week or two ago, most likely the JRT attacked actually died. The person who saw it all called the police but I checked with the council and they didn't know about it. Person won't ring the council because they "done their bit". Council wouldn't listen to me, I understand why but I just wish this other person would take 2 mins to ring them and then they'd investigate.

As it is, this pitty is in a yard with a waist high fence, saw the JRT and owner crossing the road and leapt the fence. Held the traffic up and ended the JRT's life most likely.

The person who reported the JRT attack, was he the owner of the JRT? One would hope that if it was indeed the owner of the victim that he would do more than just ring the police? and given that the traffic was held up why didnt someone else report this? and how is it that the police haven't notified the council? this just is not good enough. I would be ringing the cops and enquire about this and literally ask them to notify the local shire or ring the local shire and ask them to ring the cops for verification of this incident! I cannot believe that the attacking dog only has a waist length fence to contain him which obviously is proving to be inadequate!

Edited by Abigail

My dogs go to a huge off lead area every day and 2 of them would chase down another dog given the opportunity.

If there are other dogs at the end we use, we go to the opposite end. We also both have lead with us and are very watchful.

If we see dogs dog close with their families we put our dogs back on lead. I think my dogs should be allowed to go off lead as long

as we are responsible and watch them. In saying that though. There is an older man who walks a little scruffy at the same park and he persists in coming near us

and our dogs.

I have had to hold my shepherd by his collar and yell at the man to pick up his dog and not come near us and he says his dog just wants to be friends.

That is all good and well, but my shepherd doesnt want to me friends and I dont know how many times I have to tell this man.

there is also he Greyhound man who purposely comes to the same end of the park that we are at and wants to walk his dogs near us

So if we are being responsible and keeping an eye on our dogs then why can't people stay clear of us if they see us?

Like I said, I too have owned a DA dog and taken precautions (mine remained onlead as she couldn't be trusted at all)- it is the only responsible thing to do.

If you know you have a DA dog, and can call it away before an attack then thats not a problem. If your DA dog was to attack mine while offlead and you could NOT prevent it, then that is extremely negligent. Taking a DA dog to an offlead park has to be a matter of management (as you obviously know :love: ).

This guy walked right up to us, did not try to avoid us in the slightest. I only twigged there might be a prob when his dog started to stiff leg walk when it was within close range and its hackles went up. The owner looked distinctly nervous at that point. I have no doubt he knew the dog was about to attack as he scurried over and was able to grab his dog once it did.

Honey was walking right next to me the whole time. :)

and our dogs.

Like I said, I too have owned a DA dog and taken precautions (mine remained onlead as she couldn't be trusted at all)- it is the only responsible thing to do.

If you know you have a DA dog, and can call it away before an attack then thats not a problem. If your DA dog was to attack mine while offlead and you could NOT prevent it, then that is extremely negligent. Taking a DA dog to an offlead park has to be a matter of management (as you obviously know :rainbowbridge: ).

This guy walked right up to us, did not try to avoid us in the slightest. I only twigged there might be a prob when his dog started to stiff leg walk when it was within close range and its hackles went up. The owner looked distinctly nervous at that point. I have no doubt he knew the dog was about to attack as he scurried over and was able to grab his dog once it did.

Honey was walking right next to me the whole time. :rainbowbridge:

A dog that is dog aggressive should never be off lead, not for a moment. Even the most obedient DA dog will prove to be

a menace and able to turn on a deaf ear when it is about to attack another dog.

Edited by Abigail

Wow dont you just love off lead parks :rainbowbridge:

I had a run in last night at an SA one where i had to call the police and council after a man decided to call me a c**t about 5 times because i chose to NOT let my 4.5 month old westie who was there for the first time off the leash. She was carried in, put down in a quiet area, walked around, happy to say hello to the smaller dogs etc. There were bigger dogs there going nuts chasing each other and being quite rough and i didnt want her first experience to be a bad one (trying to be responsible).

He took it upon himself to have a go, when i politely declined for the 4TH TIME but said i would take what he was saying on board but she wasn't getting off, i explained she was a pup, had no recall, didn't want her getting chased etc. He called her anti-social and it was people like me that cause problems and i will be the first to start screaming if she got hurt - even though its my fault. I wasn't facing him, trying to ignore but he just kept on at me.He started having a real go, very aggressive (nice to pick on the lady by herself with her puppy). After telling him politely to leave it alone, i then got firm and said ive been polite, now your being rude, now its time to mind your own business. He actually kept going kept going, i told him i didn't care what he was saying just leave me alone etc etc. To which he shouted see your not taking it on board your not even listening you don't care about your dog etc. I had enough of taking it so picked up puppy to leave, told him it was dic heads like him that make people not want to come here, he called me a c**t, i said don't call me that, he said why not c**t, told him that i would be reporting it to council and police he said go ahead c**t, i was flabbergasted, and he yelled out seeya c**t ill be waiting here.

Completely unprovoked, when someone asks the big hulking man to leave them alone about 4 times and is so polite then finally gets called that in front of others (who said and did nothing) its horrible. Police and council now involved, the council will be going tonight to look for him, and the police went down last night to find him. Thats what they call indecent, so if i see him again im to call, although the thought of going back by myself wont happen. But the police were not happy and taking it seriously.

The council were good about it, made a report last night and got a phone call back today so they are being proactive although they did say not much they can do as its not a dog fight etc, which i understand.

Wow dont you just love off lead parks :rainbowbridge:

I had a run in last night at an SA one where i had to call the police and council after a man decided to call me a c**t about 5 times because i chose to NOT let my 4.5 month old westie who was there for the first time off the leash. She was carried in, put down in a quiet area, walked around, happy to say hello to the smaller dogs etc. There were bigger dogs there going nuts chasing each other and being quite rough and i didnt want her first experience to be a bad one (trying to be responsible).

He took it upon himself to have a go, when i politely declined for the 4TH TIME but said i would take what he was saying on board but she wasn't getting off, i explained she was a pup, had no recall, didn't want her getting chased etc. He called her anti-social and it was people like me that cause problems and i will be the first to start screaming if she got hurt - even though its my fault. I wasn't facing him, trying to ignore but he just kept on at me.He started having a real go, very aggressive (nice to pick on the lady by herself with her puppy). After telling him politely to leave it alone, i then got firm and said ive been polite, now your being rude, now its time to mind your own business. He actually kept going kept going, i told him i didn't care what he was saying just leave me alone etc etc. To which he shouted see your not taking it on board your not even listening you don't care about your dog etc. I had enough of taking it so picked up puppy to leave, told him it was dic heads like him that make people not want to come here, he called me a c**t, i said don't call me that, he said why not c**t, told him that i would be reporting it to council and police he said go ahead c**t, i was flabbergasted, and he yelled out seeya c**t ill be waiting here.

Completely unprovoked, when someone asks the big hulking man to leave them alone about 4 times and is so polite then finally gets called that in front of others (who said and did nothing) its horrible. Police and council now involved, the council will be going tonight to look for him, and the police went down last night to find him. Thats what they call indecent, so if i see him again im to call, although the thought of going back by myself wont happen. But the police were not happy and taking it seriously.

The council were good about it, made a report last night and got a phone call back today so they are being proactive although they did say not much they can do as its not a dog fight etc, which i understand.

WOW. :rainbowbridge: I'm speechless! I'm glad you are ok!!

Yeah i was in shock myself, i was actually thinking i cant believe im hearing this. What i still cant get over though is after him telling me about 4 times why she shouldn't be on a lead and me nodding and be polite and saying ill take it on board and trying to smile and fob him off a bit he turned so nasty and agro. How is that normal? What normal person does that to someone they don't know? How on earth did he think he had a right to lecture me on his on beliefs then turn so horrible. Very scary, can you imagine if that was a young girl? Im 26, what if that was a 16yr old? Scary.