Dog Recommendations?

From the VicDogs website- http://www.dogsvictoria.org.au/Content.asp?ID=171

Are there non-allergenic purebred dogs?

There’s no such thing as a non-allergenic dog. Low-shedding dogs often don’t aggravate allergies because the dog is less likely to leave hair, dander or saliva around the house. An individual can be allergic to any or all of these things. Puppies that are a cross of two or more breeds may or may not grow into a low-shedding adult dog. There is no guarantee because they do not “breed true” like a purebred. A litter of crossbred puppies may have some that shed and some that don’t whereas a litter of a recognised breed will have the same, predictable coat.

The following list is a good starting point when researching suitable breeds for an allergy-sufferer. However, as each person’s allergies can differ greatly, it is advised that you spend time with a breed prior to purchase to find out if you are able to tolerate that particular breed of dog.

I disagree. A crossbred litter from two pure bred parents result in uniformity amongst the litter mates which means that all the pups look exactly alike except colour, which of course applies to purebreds as well. The only time you get pups with different coat textures is when one or both of its parents are crossbred.

I disagree. A crossbred litter from two pure bred parents result in uniformity amongst the litter mates which means that all the pups look exactly alike except colour, which of course applies to purebreds as well. The only time you get pups with different coat textures is when one or both of its parents are crossbred.

Sorry, but that is not true for crossbred or purebreds.

The combination of genes possible from the mating of two purebred dogs is quite wide. A whole raft of studies have looked at this.

Edited by poodlefan

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There speaks someone who's never met a wheaten litter.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You had better pick yourself up and dust yourself off, it is awfully dusty rolling on the ground. At the end of the day, of course not all litter mates are going to look identical but it would still be bluntly obvious that they belong to a particular breed. What are you trying to say Sheridan? that a wheaten litter looks as though it consists of a concoction of breeds? I say not.

The combination of genes possible from the mating of two purebred dogs is quite wide. A whole raft of studies have looked at this.

At the end of the day, poodles still look like poodles, pugs look like pugs, etc etc. They may vary in size, colour, length of muzzle, blah blah blah but you still know what breed of dog you are looking at. The same applies to xbred puppies from purebred parents.

Standard Poodles are manly!!!

Its just they have abad reputation of being girly dogs!!!

They are great with kids, excellen guard Dogs, loyal...

But if they don't like poodles then why get a Lab x poodle... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

At the end of the day, poodles still look like poodles, pugs look like pugs, etc etc. They may vary in size, colour, length of muzzle, blah blah blah but you still know what breed of dog you are looking at. The same applies to xbred puppies from purebred parents.

My boy is a poodle cross mini schnauzer. Some of his siblings looked very "poodley", some look like mini schnauzers with longer legs. Their coats appeard to have differences too?

No Abigail it does not. Genetically one litter of crossbred pups can inherit a range of genetic combinations (as can purebred pups) that express themselves in far more ways than colour. Line breeding dogs (which is how we get purebreds) decreases the amount of variation within a litter and the predictability of the characteristics in the grown adults.

Crossbreeding widens the variation. But don't take my word for it.

Go look at any genetics textbook starting with good old Mendel, his peas and dominant and recessive phenotypes.

Then go and look at one of those bloody awful oodle breeders websites and note the variation in size and coat type within a litter. The whole failure of the "great Labradoodle experiment" was based on the fact that they couldn't predict the characteristics of the F1 Crosses.

Where did you find this nonsense? A litter from two parents of two different breeds produces licorice allsorts. Go look at some of those designer mutt websites. All the progeny are different in size, coat type and overall apperance. No way can you tell what "breed" of dog you are looking at.

Where did you find this nonsense? A litter from two parents of two different breeds produces licorice allsorts. Go look at some of those designer mutt websites. All the progeny are different in size, coat type and overall apperance. No way can you tell what "breed" of dog you are looking at.

+ 1

I finally met a lab x poodle the other day that wasn't psycho! She looks like a skinny little lab and sheds like a demon, is highly food driven and active, but has a good owner and is very quick to learn by watching the other dogs around her. Not barky either.

Not what the owner expected though, she thought it would have a curly coat.

+ 1

+ 2

Are you thinking of identical twins, you know, one egg is fertilised and then splits? because this is not how a litter of puppies occurs

:):(:)

You had better pick yourself up and dust yourself off, it is awfully dusty rolling on the ground. At the end of the day, of course not all litter mates are going to look identical but it would still be bluntly obvious that they belong to a particular breed. What are you trying to say Sheridan? that a wheaten litter looks as though it consists of a concoction of breeds? I say not.

Abigail, you spoke of coat texture. That's what I was referring to. Yes, they all look like wheatens but depending on the parents, the coats can vary within a litter. My first wheaten had one coat, his littermate another.

Edited by Sheridan

How bizarre :) You can't control genetics, if you breed two dogs of different breed together you have no idea what you will end up with - each pup could look completely different.

I've seen crossbred litter mates that look completely different in terms of size, coat type/colour etc, how do you explain that?

I once saw photos of a mini dach x chi litter (cant believe they actually called it a chiweeny :) ) Anyway most of the pups in the litter looked like chi's, just one (the one owned by the person who showed me the pics) looked much more like a long haired mini dach

A lady in my townhouse complex has a Lagotto. He is the sweetest happy go lucky boy and simply adorable. Great with my kids who are 5 and 3 despite the fact she has none.

Great dogs :)

:):love: :D

Abigail, you spoke of coat texture. That's what I was referring to. Yes, they all look like wheatens but depending on the parents, the coats can vary within a litter. My first wheaten had one coat, his littermate another.

Wheaten pups with Irish coats look completely different to wheatens with American coats. They really do almost look like different breeds. This is Miss Pink and Miss Purple from the same litter.

This is the American coat

post-13205-1273023803_thumb.jpg

This is the Irish coat

post-13205-1273023879_thumb.jpg[

:rainbowbridge: :rainbowbridge: :rainbowbridge:

Wheaten pups with Irish coats look completely different to wheatens with American coats. They really do almost look like different breeds. This is Miss Pink and Miss Purple from the same litter.

This is the American coat

post-13205-1273023803_thumb.jpg

This is the Irish coat

post-13205-1273023879_thumb.jpg[

Thanks, Mollie10. I didn't have photos to hand.

Standard Poodles are manly!!!

Its just they have abad reputation of being girly dogs!!!

They are great with kids, excellen guard Dogs, loyal...

But if they don't like poodles then why get a Lab x poodle... :o:):)

Yeah my thoughts exactly.

Thanks for your input guys :D I'm thinking its a lost cause.