Been Having The Runs Since Yesterday.

Bailey's been having the runs yesterday. He actually whined to be let out to poop in the middle of the night last night which he never does, and of course the poo was runny. This morning, he did another poop that was runny but this time there was blood in it.

Behaviour wise he's still active and full of spunk. And that's why I have not sent him to a vet yet. He hasn't had anything out of the ordinary in his meals or treats recently, just the usual.

I tried calling the vet for advice but the number's busy at the moment. I'll call back in about 15 minutes but I thought I'll ask for some advice here in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

Bailey's been having the runs yesterday. He actually whined to be let out to poop in the middle of the night last night which he never does, and of course the poo was runny. This morning, he did another poop that was runny but this time there was blood in it.

Behaviour wise he's still active and full of spunk. And that's why I have not sent him to a vet yet. He hasn't had anything out of the ordinary in his meals or treats recently, just the usual.

I tried calling the vet for advice but the number's busy at the moment. I'll call back in about 15 minutes but I thought I'll ask for some advice here in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

My dog has IBD bouts every now and then and I dont even have to change his diet for these episodes. I always have on supply some metron which is an intestinal antibiotic for my little fella so that he can be fixed up quick. LAst week he has bad diarrhoa for almost five days and relieving himself every five minutes with blood all through it.

Might be worth a trip to the vet. Diarrhoa can be serious, but I usually wait a day or two to see how things pan out rather than jumping to conclusions. Just make sure that he is drinking plenty of fluids...

Sounds like the usual diarrhea that puppies (and sometimes adults) can get from time to time.

Some questions:

Have you changed his diet recently?

Is he drinking plenty of water?

Is he depressed & lethargic or does he seem like his normal self otherwise?

Sometimes diarrhea can be cured by as simple a thing as putting the dog on a bland diet for a few days (ie boiled chicken & rice).

If he is keeping well hydrated and is alert it is probably not necessary for immediate Vetrinary care.

Sounds like the usual diarrhea that puppies (and sometimes adults) can get from time to time.

Some questions:

Sometimes diarrhea can be cured by as simple a thing as putting the dog on a bland diet for a few days (ie boiled chicken & rice).

If he is keeping well hydrated and is alert it is probably not necessary for immediate Vetrinary care.

Have not changed his diet recently.

Has been he's normal energetic self, but he's been farting alot. And it stinks! :provoke:

He has free access to water but he usually doesn't drink alot. He normally has a big drink after his walks and just a couple of licks every few hours.

Yeah, that's what I plan to do. I'm skipping his breakfast and going to start him on the boiled chicken and rice this evening.

Thanks for the advices so far. :wave:

Edited by luffy4688

Some questions:

Has been he's normal energetic self, but he's been farting alot. And it stinks! :wave:

He has free access to water but he usually doesn't drink alot. He normally has a big drink after his walks and just a couple of licks every few hours.

Yeah, that's what I plan to do. I'm skipping his breakfast and going to start him on the boiled chicken and rice this evening.

Thanks for the advices so far. :D

Don't we ALL know what that's like :provoke: Do you think he might have gotten hold of something "nasty" while out on a walk or at the park? Niki's father, Lennon, got hold of a very,very dead rabbit once & ate it - he had the runs for a few days after that - my ex & I afterwards compared any gruesomely horrible smell to "the maggoty rabbit farts"

Some questions:

Has been he's normal energetic self, but he's been farting alot. And it stinks! :(

Thanks for the advices so far. :)

Don't we ALL know what that's like :laugh: Do you think he might have gotten hold of something "nasty" while out on a walk or at the park? Niki's father, Lennon, got hold of a very,very dead rabbit once & ate it - he had the runs for a few days after that - my ex & I afterwards compared any gruesomely horrible smell to "the maggoty rabbit farts"

There's a possibilty that might be the case as he loves picking things off the ground. I always hate it when people just throw leftovers in the grass. He ate a dead bird about a month back before I could stop him. It as dark then and I didn't notice till it was too late. But even then he didn't get an upset tummy.