Geriatric Dogs

4pups

I'm at my wits end with my two oldies in the last 3 months they both seem to have forgot that have been housetrained for the last 18 years.

They are let out whenever they ask but even though they go outside I'm still cleaning up number ones and twos in the laundry and main bathroom, this isn't so bad and I can forgive them this one.

However my old boy (18 year old JRT) has started lifting his leg on the lounge and we have wood laminate which is staring to lift a bit, the floors where only done last year and its driving me crazy. I've tried a baby gate on the laundry at night but his screaming was keeping everyone up (he's deaf so I don't think he can hear himself and he sound like a wolf pack when he gets going).

So I would like to limit what they drink at night and in the evenings but my OH thinks this would be cruel.

I did try a belly band with Wallace but he ripped it off straight away.

I clean the areas with Urine Off or Urine stop every morning.

The old girl (nearly 20 year old Mini Foxie) will let me know when she wants out but will poo in the bathroom.

The JRT was crate trained when he was younger but he he has a freak out now if I try to shut it up.

Does anyone have any ideas? washing the floors each morning is getting me down.

Sorry for the long ramble but the peeing and pooing is starting to send me a bit nuts.

Good for you in looking after them for so long :wave:

It's not really 'forgetting' - It's their bodies wearing out, and just not being able to 'hang on' anymore :provoke: Sounds as if there is senility setting in as well.... what does your vet suggest? perhaps some gentle help from medication would make things a bit more peaceful?

What Persepone says. I'd try the medication, particularly if they won't tolerate the belly bands. My Rover (there is a thread on him, he died in September last year) was nearly 20 and was fine through the day, but I used belly bands on him through the night which saved my sanity.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. Older dogs can take quite a bit of management, and to see them deteriorate can be very distressing.

WOW - good on you for having such elderly dogs and still caring about them. Have you thought of putting down those puppy training mats? I used them for my old Mini Poodle when he got too tired to go through his door at night. The cut the cost I also found that I could put thick plastic on the floor with an old bath mat over it and he would do his stuff there. Helped keep me sane too!

I am just addressing this with my almost 16 year old staffy. My vet has diagnosed dementia (there are other indicators besides their forgetting their toilet traning - try the test on www.maturedogs.com to see other signs that are probably evident). After a kidney test she has started on some medication and I will know in a couple of days if it is going to make a difference. One thing I do know is that after day 2 of the tabs she actually got off the bed and peed in a corner of the bedroom rather than just standing up in bed and peeing on my arm, so I'm happy with that! Can't tell you tha name of the medication at present but something like viviton.

I know where you are coming from 4pups, I've found with oldies that they regress with age, I have a TT who has alzheimers and sometimes he will find his way outside to do what he has to do, but others he will just do it where he is. He will be 16 in June and we are still lucky to have him with us. The fact that he is still alive is outweighing the challenges that he presents. Oldies do not like being restrained in any way shape or form and stresses them out to much. I cannot even clip or bath a couple of my oldies without my husbands help in holding them, even then it is a struggle. It is very mentally draining for me having so many oldies at once, as well as two incontinent bitches, but that is the way it is going to be until it's time for them to make their way to Rainbow Bridge.

Marion01

My 9 year old fox terrier has been doing the same! I thought it might of been her age :) which I hope it isn't... she refuses to go outside unless someone is out there or you carry her out so I am needing to start toilet training and stuff all over again with her I think.

I'm afraid Vivitonin hasn't helped my 14 1/2 year old whippet at all, I was hoping it was going to help but no luck.

She still is very clean, but is often pretty vague, stands out in the rain, etc, so I've bought her a Drizabone coat, cos her polar fleece ones get wet and I'm not always home to change coats.

She keeps me on my toes, but every day I have with her is a blessing. I can't imagine life without her.

I can't get over how good my little rescue, Mufti, is. He is microchipped as turning 15 this year, yet he sleeps the whole night on the bed without any mishaps. On the rare occasion he needs to go to the toilet he will wake me up. If all the doors are closed (rare, but it does happen :) ) he will bark to be let out. Sometimes he will take a short cut to an array of pot plants on the deck, but mostly off he goes on the long trek down the ramp and into the back yard.

He has learnt what walks are all about and has started to come running when the leads come out. I can't take him with the others, but I take him out on his own and on the last few walks, he is RUNNING and wanting to go further than I know is good for him. I have to turn him around and make him come home. I feel mean, but I know he will overdo it and he is too heavy to carry home :laugh: :D

I am noticing some change on the vivitonin. My girl has always hated being fussed over (strange for a staffy!). I went to put her jumper on Tues night and she growled at me because she didn't feel like being touched. She has been getting off the bed every night and coming around my side of the bed when she wants to go out for a piddle, although not actually making any noises to wake me. Last night she slept on the floor because she can't get onto the bed by herself and I never woke up. And she has a bit more coordination and has been able to turn around from tight places (no more stuck beside the toilet!). Aside from that I haven't seen much other improvement. Still some huge piddles on the timber floors if I don't guide her straight outside in the mornings or during nightly toilet breaks but still nothing on the bed while we are sleeping. It is probably what I expected but might still get more.

Sorry it didn't work for your girl Trish. My girl hates the rain with a passion so if I ever find her standing out in it like yours then I would be really worried!

My old girl started by attempting to get to the back door and doing her business near the door, but it slowly progressed until she was just doing it in her sleep on her bed. I just put a waterproof sheet or tarp over her bed and put a top sheet over it and changed it every day. It's just one of those things we have to do to make our older pets comfortable and happy until the end.

Remember the dogs arent doing this deliberately & the same issues affect humans as they get older.

I dare say there eye sight is also going which affects them ,then add hearing loss & often smell there whole sensory system is not there to help.

Old dogs like humans then get into a routine whether it be what we want or not ,it seems normal to them.

They sleep longer & get confused quicker & dont plan ahed for needing to go.

Our oldies all when reaching that stage are introduced to carpet runners whilst they can still 'get it" we have found these runners to be a god send in setting up a routine,yes it may look ugly in the house but owning elderly pets is about putting yourself out & working a way that is doable .

Like lorraine the puppy mats can work wonders if they have set place